forcing rares to appear

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Misterphil
Pet Score:5739
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu
forcing rares to appear

Post by Misterphil » July 28th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Hi,

I was wondering - just trying to get rare cogblade raptor (S/S). I've checked all the CBRs that are up, and they are white or grey.
The question is, how to get a rare? Do I kill them all and wait? Will there be a different set tomorrow if I log out? Any hints welcome :)

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: forcing rares to appear

Post by Ranok » July 28th, 2014, 5:14 pm

It takes patience. When a wild pet is eliminated it'll be replaced and there's a chance the replacement will be of better quality. Unfortunately respawn times vary wildly for different pets and with some, respawn may take hours.

While you can kill a wild pet the traditional way, walk up to it and whack it, many players think this is tacky. It deprives other collectors who might be happy with a pet even if it's not rare. Far more polite to eliminate it through pet battling.

A few pets are so hard to find in any condition (Giraffe Calf and Minfernal come to mind) that you might need to break down and use a Battle Stone.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 28th, 2014, 8:25 pm

As far as I know server resets will reset the pets in a given area, but otherwise yes, if you want to force rares to spawn you'll need to clear out the existing pets and wait for respawns.

I would say use your best judgement on whether or not you want to wipe out an area of lower quality pets. I do it as long as the pet isn't super hard to get, like a Minfernal, and if I don't see other people in the area pet battling.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » July 29th, 2014, 4:12 am

Peanutty wrote:I would say use your best judgement on whether or not you want to wipe out an area of lower quality pets. I do it as long as the pet isn't super hard to get, like a Minfernal, and if I don't see other people in the area pet battling.
This is pretty much how I do it too. :)
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » July 29th, 2014, 5:03 am

Mehetabel wrote:
Peanutty wrote:I would say use your best judgement on whether or not you want to wipe out an area of lower quality pets. I do it as long as the pet isn't super hard to get, like a Minfernal, and if I don't see other people in the area pet battling.
This is pretty much how I do it too. :)
This was also how I did it, because to me that is the best and nicest way to try and get your pets to rare.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » July 29th, 2014, 6:12 am

Trying to find a rare s/s will take forever.
If you find a s/s poor,common or uncommon catch that and use a stone on it to make it rare will be much quicker.
If looking for a particular breed just find the breed and stone it.

Triara
Pet Score:2965
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Triara » July 29th, 2014, 6:20 am

Digem wrote:Trying to find a rare s/s will take forever.
If you find a s/s poor,common or uncommon catch that and use a stone on it to make it rare will be much quicker.
If looking for a particular breed just find the breed and stone it.
+1k

Getting the desired breed is hard enough, getting the desired breed as rare is usually insane (obvious exception: the pet at hand is only available in one breed).

Save yourself the trouble, use a stone.

Misterphil

Post by Misterphil » July 29th, 2014, 6:41 am

I cleared all of them - managed to get a pet up 6 levels whilst doing so - bonus.

The irony was that when I came back, I found 4 rares - all B/B :)

I think I'll get a stone!

edit: Make that 5 B/B rares :(

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » July 29th, 2014, 7:04 am

Misterphil wrote:I cleared all of them - managed to get a pet up 6 levels whilst doing so - bonus.

The irony was that when I came back, I found 4 rares - all B/B :)

I think I'll get a stone!

edit: Make that 5 B/B rares :(

I was such a neewbie when I first started to collect pet I assumed a rare was always better and wasted time getting rares to only later find out for the most part breed is what matters and had to recatch a ton of pets to get the right breed.
If one does the pet tamer dailies they should get on average 2 to 3 stones a day.
The dailies for the most part are safe for any level to do so great way to level Alts.
Get a friend or guildmate to take you to them and leave the alt there to do them.

Misterphil

Post by Misterphil » July 29th, 2014, 7:33 am

Aye - got loads of stones - but not a mech one. Was using it asa way to grind up some extra pets, and level my toon at the same time.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » July 29th, 2014, 7:46 am

Misterphil wrote:Aye - got loads of stones - but not a mech one. Was using it asa way to grind up some extra pets, and level my toon at the same time.
If you have 3 of the same family type (three humanoid stones, three dragonkin, etc.) you can always trade them in for one Marked Flawless Battle-Stone. Just head to a major capital city and speak with the NPC that teaches the pet battles skill.

Might help you save some time instead of waiting for rares to spawn! :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » July 29th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Misterphil wrote:I cleared all of them - managed to get a pet up 6 levels whilst doing so - bonus.
Since you're doing double duty with pet leveling while rare hunting, I think it's worth holding out to get that rare SS BUT then again, I've been known for doing insane things to try and get around using a stone. ;) Apparently I have more time than sense...

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » July 29th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Peanutty wrote:BUT then again, I've been known for doing insane things to try and get around using a stone. ;) Apparently I have more time than sense...
Don't worry, you're not the only insane one! :D Out of all the available wild-caught pets, I used stones on FIVE of them, the rest I hunted and hunted until I got a rare.

I'm not big on battling so breed isn't quite so important for me, which makes it a little easier.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » July 29th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Mehetabel wrote:
Peanutty wrote:BUT then again, I've been known for doing insane things to try and get around using a stone. ;) Apparently I have more time than sense...
Don't worry, you're not the only insane one! :D Out of all the available wild-caught pets, I used stones on FIVE of them, the rest I hunted and hunted until I got a rare.

I'm not big on battling so breed isn't quite so important for me, which makes it a little easier.
I'm picky about breeds in some cases (I like having a variety) as well as skins, so I really make the task difficult on myself. :( Like in my last batch... I specifically wanted a rare H/S Silkbead Snail with green shell to replace the brown shelled one I already had, AND a rare H/P Shimmershell Snail with brown shell to replace the green one I had (this sort of thing only makes sense to me). So yes, I'm sitting on a ton of stones but I still went out and scoured the coasts until I found the specific snails I wanted.

Wowpetbattler
Top Rater
Pet Score:4269
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Wowpetbattler » August 1st, 2014, 12:45 pm

Misterphil wrote:Hi,

I was wondering - just trying to get rare cogblade raptor (S/S). I've checked all the CBRs that are up, and they are white or grey.
The question is, how to get a rare? Do I kill them all and wait? Will there be a different set tomorrow if I log out? Any hints welcome :)
The quickest way I've found...

Prerequisites:
- Have an alt on your home server and an alt on massively different time zone server; in my case my main alt is on CST server, but my other alt is on an Oceanic server. Both are my favorite class and are level 90. I did this because I don't want to think too hard (heh!). The Oceanic server is about 10 hours ahead...so they are asleep when I am awake. Makes finding battle pets MUCH easier. For example, I got my Qiraji Guardling on the Oceanic server on June 20th...but it was June 21st on the Oceanic server ;) - and there are other situations where this is advantageous...Darkmoon Faire (no competition for any of the spawns - looking for that rare Crow), etc.

(1) Park alts at the desired farming location
(2) Check each spawn (and check all battle pets that join the fight) for any rares you desire (addons can help here)
(3) If you don't need/want the spawn...surrender the fight... (even when you find the rare, surrender, heal, reengage the same spawn...because most likely you've taken a damage from surrending multiple fights)
(4) Depending on the environment either kill the spawn out right by whacking it (which I do most often) or do the pet battle
(5) Move on to the next

Of course do this technique for both alts - you'll find what you're looking for. If you're a little crazy like me, you'll eventually make and level toons up on a five servers. So far, I haven't had any trouble getting the breeds or quality of specific pets I've been hunting.