'That was stupid! Why did I do that?!'

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us
'That was stupid! Why did I do that?!'

Post by Kendrah » June 6th, 2014, 10:41 am

What are the stupidest things you've done while in a PVP pet battle?

Done wise, well, I've tried to trap a critter in some fashion dozens of times, only later remembering that you can't do that. There was that fun time I tried to heal an undead pet after it had died. :lol: Or when I new a Noc Strike was coming up and, not wanting my current pet to die, I swap in a water pet and got one shot. :oops:

Discodoggy
Pet Score:9713
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: 'That was stupid! Why did I do that?!'

Post by Discodoggy » June 6th, 2014, 3:36 pm

My most common stupid mistake is trying to CC in arcane winds. I think of that weather as "Mana Surge hits twice" and have forgotten on more than one occasion that pets can't be stunned or rooted.

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » June 6th, 2014, 5:02 pm

I think my dumbest one is using Deflection on the turn that the other pet begins Lift-Off, or Burrow. :facepalm:
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » June 6th, 2014, 6:37 pm

I was using Blackfuse Bombling in a pvp battle, and I opened with Explode by mistake. Forfeited in shame after that... :oops:

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » June 6th, 2014, 8:55 pm

forgetting multiple times the elementals are immune to weather effects.
hate having darkness on them and then doing nocturnal strike and missing.
forgetting since weather doesn't effect them nocturnal strike only has 40% hit chance against them(due to 10% debuff from darkness on myself).
it is like why oh why did I do and waste that on an elemental!?

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » June 6th, 2014, 10:05 pm

Graven wrote:I was using Blackfuse Bombling in a pvp battle, and I opened with Explode by mistake. Forfeited in shame after that... :oops:
That reminds me of a battle I did where I accidentally opened with [ability]Unholy Ascension[/ability]. Amazingly, I won even after that (I cast Call Darkness, my opponent missed, then I landed a Nocturnal Strike crit and my opponent forfeited!)

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » June 7th, 2014, 10:16 am

I frequently press 3 when I want to stun with Rascal-Bot (after I used a pet with stun on slot 3).

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » June 7th, 2014, 10:24 am

I love when switching between PvP and PvE and forgetting to switch abilities.

"That's no minefield!"

and

"Why did I just put a minefield on Gorespine?"

Trying to stun critters and dragons in Arcane Winds I have also learned the hard way, much more careful about that since.

And the most awesome one. "Why did I just switch in this pet that will take strong damage from my opponents pet?".

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » June 7th, 2014, 10:57 pm

Running my clone dancer team, I open with my blighthawk cycloning, then naturally swap to jademist dancer for acid rain=>raindance=>steam vent x2. Looking back on it, it may have been helpful to have recognized the fact that my opponent had an aquatic out there, just begging to eat a slicing wind or two. Instead, my dancer put up acid rain and ate a couple +25% water jets. Death and gore ensued. My pets were peeved at me.

In my defense, I only did that once, and while I was on auto pilot after... let's just call it more than a reasonable number of adult beverages.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 8th, 2014, 9:45 am

Tuatha wrote:In my defense, I only did that once, and while I was on auto pilot after... let's just call it more than a reasonable number of adult beverages.
Hush you. I don't need more than a reasonable number of adult beverages to screw up. It just comes naturally. That's a talent. I don't know if I should be proud or not. :lol: I have a team similar to your dancer one, save I have a dragon instead of a blighthawk, and an aqua pet. I go up against a two raven and DAH team and my first thought (after the set up and after I realized everyone is faster to me) is to use my aqua. It was a sad, sad battle. It probably would've been a loss but I just hastened things up a bit. :lol: ;)

Silver_dragon
Top Rater
Pet Score:4034
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Silver_dragon » June 8th, 2014, 1:38 pm

I was on my last pet, Unborn Valkyr (almost full health), and they were on their last pet (they were about half health).

I thought I would be clever and haunt them...which is not so clever.

Though in my defense I have people do that with me more than once.

JEC
Pet Score:5503
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by JEC » June 26th, 2014, 2:38 pm

I just used Minefield and followed it with Lil Ragnaros and a Magma Wave :oops: . Not my brightest move, but it made me think of this thread.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » July 3rd, 2014, 9:15 am

Aveia wrote:I didn't realize this, wow! I thought it just depended on the weather being darkness but reading the talent back now, I see it's "if blinded." TY :D You actually changed how I'm going to try to counter this now.
It should be noted that elemental pets are influenced by the weather but it's only the negative parts of that the racial ignores. So, with sandstorm up (for example), you'll get the reduced damage but you don't get the reduced hit rate.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » July 4th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Aveia wrote:Yea, I knew they ignored weather. Just for some reason I thought noc strike was dependent upon it being darkness, not blinded. Gotta read more carefully, lol.
They don't ignore it. They ignore the bad parts of weather and keep the benefits.

Se5s
Pet Score:3144
BattleTag®:sess#1102
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Se5s » July 6th, 2014, 2:07 am

oh, my valk is my last pet? *haunt* ...g d it.
darkness! nocturnal strike! oh, it's an elemental...i knew that >_>
ah! i knew i had this one! STUN!!! xD stupid resilience <_>

Slugggo
Top Rater
Pet Score:13685
Realm:Moonrunner-us

Post by Slugggo » July 6th, 2014, 12:06 pm

This is more "stupid" that "stupidest", but I zone out a lot while doing Pandaria tamer dailies, watching TV in the background or whatever, and I'll consistently screw up fights by not paying attention. I forget to use Cocoon Strike at the wrong time, and suddenly I've botched an entire fight and have to start over.

Also, I queue for LFG/LFR a lot while pet battling, and continually wear my Safari Hat into combat, and then finally remember to switch it out, and when I get out I'll do a few more pet battles before I remember to put the Safari hat back on. Looking forward to the Safari Hat changes in WoD (it'll be more of a buff than an armor item you have to swap in).

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » July 6th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Se5s wrote:ah! i knew i had this one! STUN!!! xD stupid resilience <_>
LOL! I've lost matches because resilience doesn't apply to self-stuns. ~.~' I think I'm being smart and waiting for resilience so that it'll cover me but bleh. Blessed resilience doesn't apply to self-harm, I suppose. Is Blizz trying to tell us something? :roll: