LF advice for PVP pet battles

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Yukio
Pet Score:10716
Realm:Illidan-us
LF advice for PVP pet battles

Post by Yukio » June 13th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Hey all. I'm a collector and pretty serious achievement hunter.

Almost everyone I know with the 5K PVP pet battle achievement has admitted to me that they used a queing exploit to win trade the achievement either between their own accounts or with a friend. :o

I'm interested in grinding out the 5K PVP pet battles honestly but it seems all I run into are weird cheese comps built around one shots and stuff. I can't seem to win even with "OP" pets.

Any advice on an easy 3 pet comp to use to push out some wins?

Thanks in advance.

Adezero
Pet Score:3572
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Re: LF advice for PVP pet battles

Post by Adezero » June 14th, 2014, 1:34 am

if you cant beat em join em. you're gonna have to use some cheese comps yourself if you wanna get 5k without win trading.

triple direhorns, valk/qiraji/DAH, blighthawk/jademist, sprite darter/xufu, valk/stitched pup/ blighthawk, lasher/zep/helper, valk/rabbit/crow, triple crows, imp/warbot/claw

pick your poison

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » June 14th, 2014, 3:41 am

Don't see it as a chore. Level an(possibly more) alt while doing it. I think it is easier if you actually find it fun playing. For me that is to try new stuff out to beat all these top teams.

That said, here is a pretty easy one to win with.

P/P Imperial Eagle Chick(Thrash,Cyclone,Lift-Off)
S/S Jademist Dancer(Steam Vent,Rain Dance,Acid Rain)
S/S Death Adder Hatchling(Poison Fang,Puncture Wound,Blinding Poison)

Tactics:
1. Imperial Eagle Chick - Cyclone
2. Switch to Jademist Dancer
3. a. If taken huge damage on the switch do Rain Dance.
b. If only taken little damage or none do Acid Rain.
4. a. Do Acid Rain then Steam Vent
b. Do Rain Dance then Steam Vent + Steam Vent
5. a. Try another Steam Vent(80%) or switch to Eagle or Adder.
b. Now you can do another Rain Dance for more AoE or switch to Eagle Chick for another Cyclone
Death Adder is there to mop up any survivors.

If I come up against a Val'kyr I usually start with the Adder instead. Poison Fang -> Blinding Poison -> Puncture Wound. Then switch to Eagle Chick and start the above.

When running into a lot of Anubisath Idols you can switch the Eagle Chick to a Blighthawk. But I prefer the 341 power and getting the cyclone up before a Decoy can be used.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » June 14th, 2014, 5:32 am

Yukio wrote:Any advice on an easy 3 pet comp to use to push out some wins?
There's always the val/dah/whatever combo (that makes us all hate you for using it.) There are a lot of good teams discussed here. I have a list full of them and just go down the list. It takes a bit of experience but you'll get there.

In general, the teams you'll generally be up against are: 1) 'that' team that runs with triple crows/ravens, 2) Val/DAH/Whatever, 3) triple Val/Dah or a double Val/DAH teams, 4) teams with Val in them.

Just use synergy when you build a team and experience will get you through it. You'll start seeing the patterns fairly early. Like a team with a Val will 99% start with that pet and that pets first attack with be the curse then he'll go for haunt. So having a pet with a booby trap is nice because you can get some damage on the next pet. DAH will almost always start with a blinding poison, then a general poison, then the attack that gives more damage if the person is poisoned.

Yukio

Post by Yukio » June 14th, 2014, 6:56 am

Thanks for all the replies and input. Very noob questions incoming now.

1. P/P and S/S refer to power and speed? I understand different pets can have different values for these but are there particular ones I should look for?

2. What does DAH stand for?

Thanks in advance and always looking for more advice. :D

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » June 14th, 2014, 8:31 am

Yukio wrote:Thanks for all the replies and input. Very noob questions incoming now.

1. P/P and S/S refer to power and speed? I understand different pets can have different values for these but are there particular ones I should look for?

1) for the most part one wants a pure breed so p/p or s/s and such, but not all pets come in pure breed types so sometimes you take the best one can get.
Breed matters for moves. If you have a pet with a stun or hits an extra time if goes first then want a s/s if possible since that breed should be faster than other pets.
P/p is real good for healing pets(power ups healing) and pets with big hit one shot moves since a p/p pet will hit harder.

2)dah stands for death addler hatching which one would want in s/s breed I take full advantage of its blind move.
If s/s faster than any other pets but a few and flyers till the hit half life and lose flying speed buff.
Being faster means two rounds of opponent being blinded makes this pet a beast in pet battling non s/s wastes blind being slower.

JEC
Pet Score:5503
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by JEC » June 14th, 2014, 8:42 am

Yukio wrote:Thanks for all the replies and input. Very noob questions incoming now.

DAH = Death Adder Hatchling. When going for the last 150 or so of the 1000 wins achievement, I used two Death Adders and a Val'kyr, just to complete it quickly. I haven't been that focused on the 5000. Now I mostly do the weekly ten and then play around with some different combinations for a few battles.

What stats are "best" for a pet really depends - the combinations of pets that you are using or the pets that you are matched against can be more important to the outcome. Some people will tell you that pet stats mean everything in a battle, others will disagree.

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » June 14th, 2014, 9:37 am

The problem with using powerful and popular pets like DAH and Unborn Val'kyr is that good opponents are likely to know how to beat them because they've seen them so much. It's still probably easiest to use pets like that when you first start PvP pet battles. But at some point, maybe after a few hundred wins, you'll probably start to get a feeling for how the more common pets work and how to counter them, and then you can branch out.

Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Voskres » June 14th, 2014, 10:39 am

I have been PVPing since the beginning and I must say that someone somwhere always comes up with a new 'best' pet or combo and other people catch on until someone new comes up with something else.

I guess that was a really long sentence to say there are fads in the PVP battles.

At first it was Unborn/Idol. Then Warbot/Imp (mines/forced swap). Then the Kun-Lai Runt. Then Direhorns. Then Death Adders.

More recently the fad pets are Mech Panda Dragons and the Blossoming Ancient (tho not together).

You can always find a good combo to play with. Heck I have made teams of 3 moths or 3 frogs and done well and it is extremely annoying, I am sure, for the opponent when I am sleeping and turning them into frogs.

Lots of people use undead, so find an odd combo that someone would have a hard time going against is you see lots of undead - a pet that isn't a critter that has a good critter ability. Like frogs with lash or chickens with egg drop or something.

The point is, don't just pick 3 pets because they are cool, try to have them play off each other some how or you just have 3 pets and not a team.

Yukio

Post by Yukio » June 14th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the clarifications and additional advice.

When I was doing the level 75 pets achievement there was a guide I found on these forums on beating the MOP dailies using the Anub idol, Pandarean Water Spirit, and the third pet you were powerleveling. I seem to have lost the link and can't find it now. Anyone have any idea which post that is?

Thanks.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 14th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Here's the guide you're thinking about:

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4580

It's out of date but it still has the Idol and Proto combos. It still works.

The one I use personally is:

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7556

It requires more pets but it's a lot faster than the other.

Yukio

Post by Yukio » June 14th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Thanks for the links and help all!

Yukio

Post by Yukio » June 14th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Vek wrote:That said, here is a pretty easy one to win with.

P/P Imperial Eagle Chick(Thrash,Cyclone,Lift-Off)
S/S Jademist Dancer(Steam Vent,Rain Dance,Acid Rain)
S/S Death Adder Hatchling(Poison Fang,Puncture Wound,Blinding Poison)

Tactics:
1. Imperial Eagle Chick - Cyclone
2. Switch to Jademist Dancer
3. a. If taken huge damage on the switch do Rain Dance.
b. If only taken little damage or none do Acid Rain.
4. a. Do Acid Rain then Steam Vent
b. Do Rain Dance then Steam Vent + Steam Vent
5. a. Try another Steam Vent(80%) or switch to Eagle or Adder.
b. Now you can do another Rain Dance for more AoE or switch to Eagle Chick for another Cyclone
Death Adder is there to mop up any survivors.
This has been working very well. Thanks so much! :D

Adezero
Pet Score:3572
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Adezero » June 16th, 2014, 1:55 am

ever since this topic started I see a guy often running imperial eagle/jademist/DAH...

I'm the guy playing triple direhorns

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » June 16th, 2014, 5:24 am

about the blighthawk... what breed are you gals and guys using? i've got a HH levelled up, but i'm almost certain that PS must be better. also, are you using the heal or the stun in the 2nd position? what makes this pet so good that it has been mentionned that much?

As for teams, i have lots of fun with Moon Moon (SS 121), Xu-Fu (112) and Chi-Chi (112). basically it is about keeping moonlight up, and then either kill birds with moon, kill mechanicals and survive big damage with chi, or chomping the face off anything else with xu-fu. getting off a prowl+feed is rare but very rewarding. only drawback - missing a feed often means losing a fight and very frustrating.

Yukio

Post by Yukio » June 16th, 2014, 5:52 am

And on day 3 I have to ask.....

How do you deal with the Unborn Valk?

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » June 16th, 2014, 7:13 am

Here is a discussion on Blighthawk breed preferences. [url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9543&p=76281&hilit=blighthawk#p76281[/url]

Why is it a good pet? Well Undead racial. Slicing Wind, Cyclone and Lift-Off are strong against Aquatics(often something undead are not) and with 305 Power it will hit hard. Can be used in a Clonedancer team and with Consume Corpse it will last long(just remember to sacrifice some other pet first). When I use the Blighthawk I like to use it to hunt Anubisath Idols with Infected Claw, Consume Corpse and Lift-Off. At 273 speed it is one of the fastest undead, while still being strong, and with Lift-Off it has an avoidance move which is very rare amongst the undead. I don't think I have ever used Ghostly Bite, but I have seen it effectively used in battles. Often my opponents just do Ghostly Bite and the switch, Ghostly Bite hits really hard.

Unborn Val'kyrs, there are quite alot of ways to deal with them. Easiest of course is to grab an aquatic. Emperor Crab is popular since it can both heal and totally negate Haunt with the Shell Shield. I like Frogs(just grab one that is faster than Valks), they got strong attacks vs the Valk and is aquatic(all aquatics takes about 50 damage per turn of Haunt) and it can heal. Or use a Crocodile(Snarly/Toothy), to get a bleed on the Valkyr, possibly do a Blood in the Water before the Haunt. Then when Haunt has run out the Valk will be bleeding in backline.

Otherwise you can grab a critter. Especially one with Crouch(halves damage taken) and Burrow(so you can burrow on the turn that Curse of Doom is going off to avoid the damage completely). An example of critters with both Crouch and Burrow are Marmots. Rabbits are also very nice to use with Dodge and Burrow.

Another thing you can do is use a strong pet with a Stun. For example I have used Darkmoon Monkey to pretty much take out a Valkyr before it Haunted. While the pet itself might also die you won't have to worry much about the Valkyr during the rest of the battle.

A real easy one is Voodoo Figurine or Sen'jin Fetish. Cast a DoT, or DoT plus Wild Magic. Then after the Haunt you just Sear Magic. You will have taken 150 damage while now the Valkyr will be backlined taking DoT damage.

Direhorn with Trihorn shield is anoter nice one. You can do some real damage if you get a lucky stun. Otherwise the Trihorn Shield negates alot of damage. Just make sure it will be active when Curse of Doom is about to go off.

Alot of pets can take much less damage from Haunt by using Shell Shield, Stoneskin, Jadeskin, Spiked Skin. Sandstorm can of course also be used but both the Guardling and the Idol are humanoid so not really best choice of opponents for the Valkyr. Note that Living Sandling also can cast Sandstorm.

Just a few ways to go about the Valk'yrs.

Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Voskres » June 16th, 2014, 9:15 pm

[pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet] is almost always in there for the Haunt. The general tactic is to [spell=]Curse of Doom[/spell] then immediately [spell=]Haunt[/spell].

If there is a Valk Curse will be the first spell. You can ruin the rotation by opening with some sort of block or interrupt or fly ot burron or dodge, etc.

Haunt will simply reset the Valk and let her do it again next time but she essentially did zero for one round.

Some sort of rabbit is one of the best things to combat a Valk - critters are best against undead, and bunnies have not one but two misses (dodge and burrow) plus dodge lasts 2 turns so it is like 3 misses.

Other ways are to mitigate the dot damage by using a sheild ability.

The Idol has an avoid spell in [spell=]Deflection[/spell] and a dot mitigation in [spell=]Sandstorm[/spell], however undead is best against humaniod.

You have to pick your poison and live with it or get around it. I use one on both my main teams so I don't wanna tell you ALL my secrets on how to avoid me :twisted:

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » June 17th, 2014, 7:54 am

Yukio wrote:And on day 3 I have to ask.....

How do you deal with the Unborn Valk?
An easy counter to Unborn Valk'yr is an aquatic with a heal and/or shell shield. Pets with dispels, like Sear Magic, are also good against it.

On my team I've been using a Magic Lamp with Sear Magic and Wish to counter Valks.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 17th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Maleric wrote:Pets with dispels, like Sear Magic, are also good against it.
And you get the added bonus of confounding people when you dispel your pet. That's worth it, if nothing else. XD