Darkmoon Cub and breed availability

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Pettea
Pet Score:2181
Realm:Ahn'Qiraj-eu
Darkmoon Cub and breed availability

Post by Pettea » June 1st, 2014, 11:48 am

I just acquired the tickets required to purchase the Darkmoon Cub from the Faire, only to notice that it apparently has two breeds, and it provided me with the worse one.

Now I heard that certain pets only come in the balance/balance breed now anymore, so I was wondering whether this is the case for the cub? (Is there any list of what pets have been changed by Blizzard, I have never been able to find it, but was told at least the Gilnean Raven was like this, and so were all other trained pets.)

Wish I had bought the Darkmoon Turtle now >.<

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: Darkmoon Cub and breed availability

Post by Peanutty » June 1st, 2014, 3:36 pm

I don't know the definite answer for the Darkmoon Cub, but as you noted some breeds have been retired for certain pets. The list I've seen says "Brilliant Kaliri, Jade Tentacle, Tirisfal Batling, Firefly, Jade Crane Chick, Gilnean Raven, and Shore Crawler are no longer available in multiple breeds." So I'm guessing the Cub is still available in both breeds.

Note that you can still obtain retired breeds off the AH or by trading. You might consider doing that to get specific breeds as well if it's something that matters to you.

Pettea

Post by Pettea » June 1st, 2014, 5:07 pm

I mostly accepted that the others only 'exist' as B/B breeds now. The Darkmoon Cub however just appears to be a standard vendor pet, except that it is prohibitively expensive.

I'll just have to auction mine off, hopefully get a decent price, and see if I can purchase a P/S from somewhere >.<

Thanks for the tips though!

(Edit: I'm obviously a bit picky concerning breeds. I only want the one that has the most stats, and then try to build teams with that.)

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » June 1st, 2014, 5:59 pm

My suggestion then is to keep an eye on your AH this week since it's a faire week, so prices tend to dip (I see one in my AH for under 1k, but I'm on US servers). In the meantime, if you can manage it, level the one you already have. You should be able to sell the B/B (as a 25) for enough to cover the purchase cost of a P/S since a lot of players don't care about breed and like preleveled pets.

Pettea

Post by Pettea » June 2nd, 2014, 12:34 am

Really? I thought levels were worthless on pets, as it doesn't take too much effort. I'll give that a try when it expires!

Post by Guest » June 2nd, 2014, 1:39 am

Pettea wrote:Really? I thought levels were worthless on pets, as it doesn't take too much effort. I'll give that a try when it expires!
To those of us who level hundreds of pets, levels are meaningless/ worthless. We have our carry pet slots, have memorized rotations and can fall asleep while doing 'The Longest Day' complete it and wake up to 'you have been disconnected from the server' :ugeek:

We however are the minority. Many more people have more gold than time and will happily give your lv25 pet a home and you some gold. :lol:

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » June 2nd, 2014, 1:52 am

Pettea wrote:Really? I thought levels were worthless on pets, as it doesn't take too much effort. I'll give that a try when it expires!
A level 25 will usually sell for about 1-1.5k more than a level 1 (varies wildly by server, specific pet, time of day, the height of the moon in the sky, etc). So if you're looking to cover your "loss" that would probably be an easy way to do it.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » June 2nd, 2014, 2:38 am

[pet]Silver Tabby Cat[/pet] and [pet]Cat[/pet] both have the same move set as the [pet]Darkmoon Cub[/pet] and both are available as P/S.

Rhamona
Pet Score:3068
Realm:Terokkar-us

Post by Rhamona » June 7th, 2014, 9:25 am

Out of curiosity, I bought three Darkmoon Cubs this week (using multiple toons) and they were all B/B. FYI.