Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling has 3 sizes, any others?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us
Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling has 3 sizes, any others?

Post by Peanutty » May 8th, 2014, 7:10 pm

While out doing some battles, I noticed that the Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling comes in 3 different sizes.

(Note: it has been documented before here and on wowhead, but I only just found out about it myself, then started looking into it to find out more. I didn't find any screenshots to show the difference, so I took some myself.)

- [url=http://forums.wow-petopia.com/download/file.php?id=23853]All 3 gryphons, from smallest (Beak) to largest (Beakest)[/url]

- [url=http://forums.wow-petopia.com/download/file.php?id=23854]For comparison, the smallest and largest along with the Gryphon Hatchling (Bunsen) from the Blizz store plush toy - looks like the Blizz store pet is the same size as the smallest[/url]

The different sizes work just like different skins/colors on things like moths. Sizing stays consistent after taming. The size is not related to the pet's rarity or breed. If you find a Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling as a secondary pet in battle, then forfeit to reset the battle, the size can change (so essentially you can pick the size you want).

ANYHOW long story short... does anyone know if there's other pets like this one, with different sizes?
Last edited by Peanutty on May 9th, 2014, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goldash
Pet Score:4825
BattleTag®:Insane#1813
Realm:Barthilas-us

Re: Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling has 3 sizes, any others?

Post by Goldash » May 8th, 2014, 10:16 pm

Interesting, this kind of plays on my Pokemon OCD. It would be cool if blizz implemented a dropdown to choose pet styles and that you would have to catch each style to have the option of choosing. ie: size/colors.

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » May 8th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Thanks for that info! I'll have to get me a big beakest :)

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 8th, 2014, 11:36 pm

I'm definitely OCD about getting unique skins, but I think this one kind of straddles the line. It's the same graphic but it behaves like separate skins. So since the sizes are pretty noticeable, I had to get a full set. Figured I'd share it since I don't think it's well known that it has these variations. If there are other pets that behave this way, I'd sure like to find them!

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 9th, 2014, 10:22 am

Nice find! I wasn't aware of the sizing variation, and being a bit OCD about collecting, I went out and grabbed the two I was missing. They're adorable, especially when you have all three gryphons on a team and start/end a pet battle. :)

As far as other wild pets, I'm not aware of any others that come in different sizes. Unless I'm battling with the same pet that I'm up against, I don't even think I would even notice the size difference. :oops:
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13317
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » May 9th, 2014, 12:33 pm

That's an amazing find! I'm going to have to hunt them again to see what size I have!

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » May 9th, 2014, 12:51 pm

So cool. :) Mine is named Huey, because he reminds me of Donald Duck's nephew with his little ducky head. I should go back and find Dewey and Louie too. ;)

Poesy
Pet Score:10448
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Poesy » May 24th, 2014, 1:12 am

Nice catch! Makes me want to go out and get the full set, like little gryphon matryoshka dolls. :lol:

The [pet]Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog[/pet] is another pet that comes in different sizes, but only large and small. I made sure to get one of each once I noticed the difference, and I wondered at the time if there were others like it, but the thought of going back and re-examining over a hundred wild pets was too much for me. :oops:

Malenrhen
Pet Score:7124
Realm:Duskwood-us

Post by Malenrhen » May 24th, 2014, 1:41 am

Oh jeez...now I am going to have to go back and check those cute lil guys out again! OCD is me!

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 24th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Poesy wrote:The [pet]Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog[/pet] is another pet that comes in different sizes, but only large and small. I made sure to get one of each once I noticed the difference, and I wondered at the time if there were others like it, but the thought of going back and re-examining over a hundred wild pets was too much for me. :oops:
Awesome - this is exactly what I was hoping this thread would help with, since as you've noted it's too much work to expect to go through and examine hundreds of pets. Since I didn't know about the bullfrogs now I'll have to see about picking up whichever size I'm missing. :)

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » May 30th, 2014, 5:38 am

Poesy wrote:The [pet]Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog[/pet] is another pet that comes in different sizes, but only large and small.
I went out and caught the small version of the Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog, but then I realized that the sizes for this pet behave strangely for me.

My original bullfrog was the large one, however it changes to the small one every now and then when summoned. The newly captured bullfrog has retained its small size though. Now I'm not sure if I even need to keep the small one since I sort of have two in one in the original lol.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 30th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Interesting... I wonder if your original bullfrog was caught as a secondary before the color changing "bug" was disabled (where pets caught as secondaries didn't consistently keep their color) and so somehow has kept that ability? It's entirely possible a few pets slipped through the cracks, especially since we don't know how or why these 2 pets in particular are coded to have different sizes.

So far my 2 bullfrogs have consistently kept their respective sizes, as have my WHGs. I made capture teams out of them so I can admire the size differences. :)

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » May 31st, 2014, 1:53 pm

I was testing the Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog to see if any newly captured secondaries would be size-changers too, when I ran across another pet that comes in different sizes: [pet]Golden Civet Kitten[/pet]. Only two sizes, big and small.

So far the newly captured frogs seem to be maintaining their capture size, but that just makes me want to keep both my original size-changer and the new ones. :P

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 31st, 2014, 5:12 pm

*squints at Golden Civet Kittens* Nice catch - a little tough to see the difference but it's there. I had 3 rares already but all were the large size, so now I have to go find a smaller one. :)

This is turning out to be a fun new diversion for me in pet collecting!