Anyone knows a way to...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Xwn
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us
Anyone knows a way to...

Post by Xwn » May 17th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Hi community!

I have 571 pets at level 25. 569 are rare and my "Vanity pets owned" statistic shows: 289 pets.

Vanity pets owned only shows the pets you trained yourself. Not caged, not obtained by pet battling in the world. (A drop you got, or such)

I am a crazy Statistics guy and would know to know if:

THERE IS A WAY TO KNOW HOW MANY PETS I TRAINED CAGED. AKA: Pets I bought on the auction house already caged. As far as I recall I didnt buy ANY pet caged because I hate that but is there any addon or some way to know if I did and whichones so I can go get a real one not caged?

Thanks!

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Re: Anyone knows a way to...

Post by Dakaf » May 18th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Well, I think the easy answer is that if it is a tameable pet, you got it yourself. No wild pets are cageable.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Xwn

Post by Xwn » May 19th, 2014, 6:51 am

Lets put an example to make it easy:

You are doing SoO LFR and Sha of Pride gives you (personal loot) the pet.

As you can see that pet is an ITEM and not a pet itself, when you right click that it trains you a pet. That pet you trained is a pet you trained from scratch yourself and will increase your "Vanity pets owned" statistic (You can find this statistic under Statistics----Pet Battles)

When you catch a pet out in the wild, lets say a random pet in Feralas you will have a NEW pet but it WONT go to your statistics for "vanity pets owned".

Now lets say this.

Your friend Richard got the same pet from Sha of Pride, he trained it and then caged it to sell on the AH.... A random person buys that pet from the AH on its "caged" state and trains it. THAT CAGED PET he trained WONT GO TO THE "Vanity pets owned statistics"

What I am trying to figure out is if i ever bought a pet caged, I think I didnt but I dont remember.

What I need is a way to know if i ever obtained and trained a caged pet.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 19th, 2014, 2:17 pm

I know what you're talking about but I don't think there's any way to know (other than you painstakingly writing it all down as you go) which pets were obtained in what way. This is why the Statistics tab drives me nuts, because I know it's not accurate on many things due to the way it records information.

And maybe I'm crazy but I think I probably do have mine memorized, plus or minus a few... my brain stores that kind of useless data. ;)

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » May 19th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Xwn wrote:What I need is a way to know if i ever obtained and trained a caged pet.
Surely a simple calculation of

Your total pets - non-cageables

will give you the number of possibles in your collection? Then just see if that number matches the number on your character sheet - if it is higher than "vanity pets earned" you know that's how many caged pets you added to your journal.

Seems like I'm totally stating the obvious, so I'm sorry if that's the case. I have to say though, I think you might be the first person I've seen who cares a fig about this.

Xwn

Post by Xwn » May 19th, 2014, 3:40 pm

So...

The game has 268 pets from Pet Battles (I have them all) (Just confirmed in-game and in armory)

I have 571 pets.

That means I have 303 pets that should count for statistic.

My vanity pets owned statistic shows 289 pets only, which means i trained 14 pets caged which IS NOT POSSIBLE because there is no way I would train that many from cages.

Something must be counting wrong, like balloons or cross-faction pets (guild grunts or something)

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 19th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Like I said, the Stats page is sometimes wrong, and the problem is it's hard to tell what it's counting correctly and what it isn't.

If you are sure you haven't bought any pets from AH or accepted any from friends, then I would say trust your own counts and not the "official" one.

Also keep in mind acquiring pets on alts probably screws with the numbers as well. And reselling pets probably screws it up more. So maybe that's part of the problem? Try going through your alts and looking at the numbers, and you'll quickly realize, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Just crunching some numbers off my alts I should have, under my own power, acquired around 500 pets (which I guess is inaccurate given that I have no problem buying pets from AH or accepting gifts), and yet going by the math (total unique pets minus the wild pets) the actual number should be 315 or so.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » May 19th, 2014, 5:36 pm

A quick check of my character's armories shows that number is Character specific so that may be one factor. You may have "learned" the item on an alt. It's also quite possible that it is missing the non battle pets like kites and baloons and it definitely wouldn't include the cross faction pets.

BTW the PVP battles won at max level seems to be character specific and off in some odd way. I'm 145 outta 250 on the achievement and two of my characters show 145 wins for the statistic which if they both had that would mean I'd be done. One of my others shows 127 and another shows 2. I suspect that the two showing 145 I haven't actually done any pvp battles on so it is actually not that characters stats but the accounts in general but the others are the actual wins on that character.

Xwn

Post by Xwn » May 21st, 2014, 6:48 am

Kpb321 wrote:A quick check of my character's armories shows that number is Character specific so that may be one factor. You may have "learned" the item on an alt. It's also quite possible that it is missing the non battle pets like kites and baloons and it definitely wouldn't include the cross faction pets.

BTW the PVP battles won at max level seems to be character specific and off in some odd way. I'm 145 outta 250 on the achievement and two of my characters show 145 wins for the statistic which if they both had that would mean I'd be done. One of my others shows 127 and another shows 2. I suspect that the two showing 145 I haven't actually done any pvp battles on so it is actually not that characters stats but the accounts in general but the others are the actual wins on that character.
Ya, its very possible.

About the Pvp pet battles, I did the 5k pvp pet battles achievement with 1 toon only and it exactly like you are saying, they are attached to the character and not the account.

I hope for the day Blizzard takes a minute to look into statistics to fix all the errors it has.