Why is the Raven rated higher than Dread Hatchling?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Beastlyserenity
Pet Score:3133
Realm:Draenor-us
Why is the Raven rated higher than Dread Hatchling?

Post by Beastlyserenity » April 27th, 2014, 2:52 am

Anyone mind telling me why the Gilnean Raven is rated higher than the Dread Hatchling?
How is Gilnean any better?

-Also, my Dread Hatchling has 'rare' as its breed. Is that normal?
It's my only non combat pet that seems to have 'rare' as a breed/nature without an actual stat+ description.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Why is the Raven rated higher than Dread Hatchling?

Post by Luciandk » April 27th, 2014, 4:25 am

Id hazard a guess its the limited availability of the Dread Raven playing in here. And it sounds like whatever pet battle mod you have havent been properly updated for the Dread Raven.

Some people likes the speedy breeds of the Gilnean Raven/Crow, so that they can keep hitting first even when flying bonus fades sub 50% life. Personally I think its better to pack as much bang as you can in the first rounds of battle while you still can count on your flying bonus to be helpful. And the weaker you are, the greater risk of being killed.

Too much speed after all is too much, why the Yellow moth is a quite popular flying pet. One of the few flyers that can be P/P, hitting for a truck and being fast thanks to being a flyer. I know that was why many opted to go for the P/S breed for the Gilnean Raven, to shave off some of that excess speed and empower the attacks.

But I figure that the popularity of the Gilnean Raven comes from it being one of the first pets with a powerful inbuilt combo, which only got even more useful when they included upgrade stones. I think theres a lot of the various breeds in circulation still, which helps to keep their sale value despite Blizzard going and changing new Gilnean Ravens to the B/B breed.

Plus I think a lot of people havent gotten their eyes up for the Crow, which is pretty much a clone of the original Gilnean Raven. Save for not having the unique ability, which I dont think anyone actually used. As Call Darkness and Nocturnal Strike is so popular. But the Crow is freely available on Darkmoon Isle in all four breeds once shared with the Gilnean Raven.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » April 27th, 2014, 1:21 pm

IMO it's a combination of the fact that the Dread Hatchling is a newer pet, and has a more limited availability (costs extra cash, some people aren't preordering so don't have it yet).

The whole speed versus power thing... that comes down to personal preference I suppose, especially for those who aren't heavily focused on PVP. I'm not been keen on S/S breeds in general because I just feel like I'm sacrificing too much health and power for it, and I like hitting harder for sure. Both my Raven and Crow are P/B and I got my 250 PVP wins just fine with that.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » April 27th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Beastlyserenity wrote:Anyone mind telling me why the Gilnean Raven is rated higher than the Dread Hatchling?
How is Gilnean any better?
Ranking is done by the people on this site, via actually usage of the battle pet. The raven has been around since the beginning of this expansion and the DH hasn't. Plus, the ravens and crows are very powerful pets, so naturally they've had a whole lot more votes than the DH.

-
Beastlyserenity wrote:Also, my Dread Hatchling has 'rare' as its breed. Is that normal?
It's my only non combat pet that seems to have 'rare' as a breed/nature without an actual stat+ description.
There are four rankings that the battle pets can come by. It's like any other item in WoW. Grey for the weakest, white for normal, green for uncommon, and blue for rare. The pets you can catch in the wild can come in any of the above for. Generally when you get a pet from a drop, vendor, AH, or what have you, it'll be white ~ blue. So the higher the stats, the better the pet. You can change pets into rares or farm for them in the wilds.

The Dread Hatchling, being essentially a store bought pet, will come in as the highest rank (which is rare.) There aren't any epic or legendary pets we can have this expansion.

However, this is different from the breeds. Each pet can have a combo of balance, speed, health, and power. Th S/B or P/P. That's what the actual breeds of the pets are. Generally, the default WoW pet interface doesn't tell you the breed up front. Most addons do, though.