Gray vs Yellow

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Lyrae
Pet Score:9913
Realm:Stormrage-eu
Gray vs Yellow

Post by Lyrae » April 17th, 2014, 8:40 am

I have an addon that gives information about the pets breed, the pets Pandaren Spirits are all rare, but the stats and breed info is gray in the Pandaren Fire Spirit and yellow in the other three Water, Air and Earth, can any of you nice souls arround give me a hand explaining why? Is it possible to upgrade a rare_gray to a rare_yellow?

"You must post at least 8 times before you are able to share external links." :(

Can't share a printscreen sorry :(

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Re: Gray vs Yellow

Post by Opallena » April 17th, 2014, 11:57 am

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the coloring has something to do with whether or not the stat is good for that level. If something has a poor stat, it's gray. otherwise, it's yellow (i think....)

If this is the case, there's not much you can do about it unless its on a wild pet, then you can go get a different breed. Pets like the pandaren spirits only come in one or two different breeds.

Itty
MVP
Pet Score:3383
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Itty » April 17th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Lyrae, there is no there is no way to upgrade the grey stats to yellow stats aside from leveling the pet.

From what I can tell, the stats that are grey are the addon's "best guess" for what the stats will be when the pet is level 25. In this case, the best guess for the Pandaren Fire Spirit is 1400 health, 289 attack power, 289 speed. This guess is actually correct, but with level 1 pets there is apparently some uncertainty for certain combinations of stats. If the stat is in yellow, the addon isn't "guessing"; it knows what the stat will be.

I don't know why the addon has to guess for certain pets, but those guesses are usually accurate. It likely has something to do with the intersection of pet families with breed types. For example, the P/S Pandaren Fire Spirit has grey stats at level 1, but the P/S Azure Crane Chick has yellow stats at level 1. It's worth noting that their level 25 stats are different from each other.

When a pet with grey stats gains at least one level, the uncertainty for that addon is resolved, so it should no longer display any stats for any pets over level 1 in grey. I tested this on my own Fire Spirit. The stats were grey at level 1, then yellow after one battle where it went up to level 5. The predicted values of the stats at level 25 did not change.

What you are observing is a just how the addon handles its predictions. The coloring of the text has no effect on game-play or whether those stats can be upgraded or otherwise changed by player.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » April 17th, 2014, 3:30 pm

I believe that in game you can't actually query the game to find out what breed a pet is. You actually have to guess based on their level and stats. At level 1, especially for poorer quality pets, the stats for 2 or more breeds might be the same so it can't tell. The add-on I use shows all the possible breeds when it isn't sure. After getting at least a level, or usually for any rare pet, it can tell for sure what breed it is and only shows one.

Out of game, sites like warcraft pets or petsear.ch can pull data from the armor and get not only the breed but also the sex of the pet in that data so they always know for sure.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » April 17th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Itty is correct, it is in the add-on the predicted stats at 25 come from. There is nothing to correct, as the add-on is using math as a best guess for the stats. I have a level 1 of some pets that I also have a level 25 of, and and sometimes the add-on's predictive stats are off by a number, say the real power of a level 25 is 341, but the add-on says it will be 340. The info that is grey/yellow is to give you an idea of what stats the pet will have when it is level 25. There is nothing to worry about, and as soon as you take a pet above level 1 it should change from grey to yellow.
mykro9#1585

Lyrae
Pet Score:9913
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Lyrae » April 17th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Thank you very much, helped me loads!!!