Battle-Stone Upgrades

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Mjah
Pet Score:10611
Realm:Cairne-us
Battle-Stone Upgrades

Post by Mjah » April 10th, 2014, 10:54 am

More of an opinion question: Are most people stock-piling the various pet battle stones or trading them in for the generic ones? I'm developing quite a large collection of various stones I no longer need for upgrades (humanoid, elemental, etc) and so far I've been saving them for WoD.

Am I crazy for this and it would make more sense to get stones I do need (critter, beast and flying)?

Mavix1988
Pet Score:1567
Realm:Agamaggan-eu

Re: Battle-Stone Upgrades

Post by Mavix1988 » April 10th, 2014, 10:56 am

I want so much stones that i could make this decission but i'm not doing pet collecting for a long time. In your option i would save them for WoD, because a lot of new pets will come out and you can have a lot of rares again.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » April 10th, 2014, 1:22 pm

I am saving the harder to get ones. At least a few. I gave away all my humanoid and now find I need a few so I am going to have to buy a few or trade for a few soon.

It's so hard to say what to do for WoD but it can't hurt to keep a set number of each for the next xpac just in case.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » April 10th, 2014, 1:27 pm

My thought is that unless you have a pet that you need for some reason, CT or a PVP team or something, or you are really close to finishing off upgrading all your pets then just wait. You can do the trade in and stone the pets at any time and by waiting you might happen to save yourself some stones by getting the right kind of pet specific stone or by getting lucky and getting a rare of the pet. You also never know which type might be the last one you need so you might end up using generic stones for beasts and end up with beast stones left over while still needing to upgrade flying pets.

Mjah
Pet Score:10611
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Mjah » April 10th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Kpb321 wrote:My thought is that unless you have a pet that you need for some reason, CT or a PVP team or something, or you are really close to finishing off upgrading all your pets then just wait.
I've already reached the point of having only "non-rare" pets left for upgrades. By that I mean they are from various vendors, etc and there is no way to get a rare of it short of upgrading. I think I'll plan on just continuing to grind away for the "right" stones from bags and pet battles vs trading-in my collection of non-usable stones right now. I'd feel pretty stupid if I trade in 18-20 humanoid stones to find out there are a dozen more "non-rare" pets in WoD.

Angelwings626
MVP
Pet Score:12264
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Angelwings626 » April 10th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I love to hold onto them. Seeing those blue little skittles in my bags make me so happy. You never know when you're going to need them. ALSO, could always trade here in the forums with people who need.

The amount of time it takes to see a stone and trading it for one..... Depending on your server it might just be faster to grind the gold for the flawless or go out there and farm that rare pet.

Deadlycurves
Top Rater
Pet Score:3443
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Deadlycurves » April 10th, 2014, 8:58 pm

I am still using the trainers for pet levelling and will be for some time. So i am stashing stones for WoD as i have only a handful of pets to upgrade to rare. though should i have 20 of a type i might start swapping them for flawless.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » April 10th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Angelwings626 wrote:I love to hold onto them. Seeing those blue little skittles in my bags make me so happy. You never know when you're going to need them.
"Blue skittles" - haha I love it! Yeah I admit I like opening my bags and seeing 2 bags full of stones.

I guess I never thought about it since I had nothing left to upgrade by the time the stone trade-in option got put into the game. Given that I was able to get by without it, I guess I would opt to continue sitting on the ones I do have instead of trading in.

Rymoe
Pet Score:4327
Realm:Kilrogg-eu

Post by Rymoe » April 12th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Yeah I agree with the posts above, it makes good sense to hold onto your spare stones for now and wait to see what happens in WoD. That's what I'm doing just in case. I'd kick myself if I traded load of x3 stones (of a particular pet family) into 1 stone and then loads of new pets came out in WoD that I couldn't get a rare of without a stone.

For me the only non-rare pets I have are ones that I must upgrade using a stone and (as I'm sure everyone here knows) grinding loads of stones takes a long, long, very long time.

I'm going to be barking in trade for the next few months (whilst people may still be tempted to sell stones as they have loads of spares), to see if I can get someone with spares to upgrade the non-rares pets I have which are BoE, hopefully I won't have to pay much more than 1k to 2k gold for each BoE rare pet, but who knows.

Keep em, "my precious" stones are not going anywhere :)

Jefra
Pet Score:2300
BattleTag®:redbaronkain#1261
Realm:Frostmane-us

Post by Jefra » April 12th, 2014, 5:10 pm

I have like 50 battle stones so if someone wants to buy or trade for them my battle tag is redbaronkain#1261

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » April 12th, 2014, 5:11 pm

I'm saving all stones as-is and later on if I find that I need to trade some in, I'll do it then. No sense in wasting the stones ahead of time if I don't need to though :)
@TamerWakamaru

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » April 14th, 2014, 4:02 pm

I am keeping the specific family stones for now. If they announce they are removing the vendor, I will be trading in some of the larger stacks to make some marked ones.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » April 14th, 2014, 7:48 pm

I have been keeping a small backstock of them. If I get >5, I will trade 3 in for a marked stone since I am still short a few rares (pesky critter and beasts :oops: )
Once I finish off my last rares, I will probably still stockpile them to trade, help folks out or be ready for WoD..

Dirkie
Pet Score:5479
BattleTag®:dirk#1435
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Dirkie » April 29th, 2014, 7:19 am

I have never upgraded someone elses pet with a family specific stone. I know the flawless ones are tradeable but if I have a common beast pet and someone else has a beast stone how to they upgrade my pet? Do I have to be able to cage the pet and trade it to them then they upgrade it and pass it back? If so I guess I cannot upgrade a wild pet without my own stone correct?

Tataluibob
Top Rater
Pet Score:11349
BattleTag®:Tataluibob#2775
Realm:Vashj-eu

Post by Tataluibob » April 29th, 2014, 9:40 am

Dirkie wrote:I have never upgraded someone elses pet with a family specific stone. I know the flawless ones are tradeable but if I have a common beast pet and someone else has a beast stone how to they upgrade my pet? Do I have to be able to cage the pet and trade it to them then they upgrade it and pass it back? If so I guess I cannot upgrade a wild pet without my own stone correct?
The answer to your question is : YES, you have to be able to cage the pet ! but the most important is " the confidence".

I have a better advice to you : Do daily pet battle quest and the Beasts of Fable Book I, II, III. You will have all the stone you need.

Envec
Top Rater
Pet Score:3244
Realm:Norgannon-us

Post by Envec » April 29th, 2014, 10:05 am

I'd say hold on to them for WoD. I was looking at another site that "datamined" epic pet battle stones, I have to think that there will be a way of trading up into them. At least I would hope so.

Greenstar
MVP
Pet Score:13861
BattleTag®:Mattob#1633
Realm:Deathwing-us

Post by Greenstar » April 29th, 2014, 12:48 pm

I'm mostly holding for WoD, but I have so many that I also stone a few pets so I can sell them for more. Holiday pets and ones like the [pet]Proto-Drake Whelp[/pet] or [pet]Lil' Bling[/pet] can get an extra 1000-2000g.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » May 2nd, 2014, 2:21 pm

Unless I use a stone in a pet trade, I save all of mine because there will be atleast a few new pets for each family come Warlords. I'd hang on to the flying, beast, critter, and aquatic particularly, since those always seem to be out of stock on the trading forums when a new batch of pets come out.