Breed Question...

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Shankmcgank
Pet Score:3120
Realm:Illidan-us
Breed Question...

Post by Shankmcgank » April 6th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm stoning some pets and I have ones like the Softshell Snapling which comes in BB/HS breeds and Turqoise Turtle which is the same breeds as well.

In this case, which one is "better" ? Do I go with the B/B because it has more power and therefore will heal and do damage a bit better ? Or do I go with H/S for the extra health, and the *ahem* super fast 273 speed ?

I know I'll probably never use either pet, but I don't want to waste a stone on the wrong breed. I'm almost done upgrading all my aquatics and now I have these type of choices to make.

Any thoughts / help is appreciated.

Thanks !

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Re: Breed Question...

Post by GrosBonda » April 6th, 2014, 9:34 pm

you should not stone wild pet , unless they are really hard to come by.....
just my 0.2 cents

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » April 6th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Honestly, neither of these are rockstars. Keep hunting and take the first rare you come across. Save the stone!

Good luck!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Shankmcgank
Pet Score:3120
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Shankmcgank » April 7th, 2014, 9:38 am

The reason I'm stoning these is because I'm almost done upgrading all my aquatics. I also can't be bothered spending 3 hours trying to farm a rare wild pet when I have stones sitting around that I can use. I thought I'd kind of mentioned why I was doing it in my first post.

While I appreciate the input on whether I should stone them or not...The question I needed help with was which breed of the 2 was more desirable, even though I most likely will never use them.

HS or BB ?

Thanks

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » April 7th, 2014, 10:57 am

I'm not really sure there is an answer as to which one is better as neither breed is particularly good. The H/S breed is 273 speed so isn't particularly likely to be faster than a lot more pets than the 260 speed B/B breed. On top of that they don't have any abilities that really benefit heavily from being faster. Similarly the increased power from B/B is barely noticable. Heal for 420 instead of 396? Doesn't even get out of the random +/- that all abilities have.

I think I agree with the others. Save the stone and just spend a little time farming a rare and take what ever you get first. Sure you might be almost done with aquatic pets but a quick glance at your profile here shows you still have over 200 total pets left to upgrade to rare and you can always do a 3 for 1 trade in to get a marked flawless stone that could be used on something else that is much harder to get a rare version of or where you care more about the breed.

If you really want to use your stone to upgrade one of them just pick one of them and be done with it. Like you said you are unlikely to ever use either one so it doesn't matter.

Regillixavatar
Pet Score:1735
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Regillixavatar » April 7th, 2014, 11:06 am

Shankmcgank wrote:The question I needed help with was which breed of the 2 was more desirable, even though I most likely will never use them.

HS or BB ?
Thanks
Desirable, good, best these words all depend on what you intend to do with the Turtle (which we know isn't too much). The only reason to take a speedy turtle breed is if you want to take advantage of the Stun from Headbutt or maybe get an extra turn of Shell Shield in. For PvE there are a couple uses...you know the enemy speed and can flip through your collection to find a good match-up. On the other hand, if you want to use Powerball in the 3rd move slot, speed is pretty useless since you are getting a 20% boost every round.

If you want the quick and easy answer, I say H/S because so that you get a "fast" breed of turtle that can still hit decently (speedy being S/S doesn't help him much).

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » April 7th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Both these pets have the same move set and stats. This makes your decision easy.

H/S works well with Headbutt (longer stun), Shellshield (1 more round) and Powerball (situationally, although I prefer >289 speed for Powerball in the current meta). H/S also has higher health and more stats overall.
B/B works better when you have to burn through cool downs. It becomes better when you have debuffs like Shattered Defense up, which does not happen very often.
Both breeds are quite similar. There isn't a big difference between these breeds. Your breed choices won't matter too much with these pets. The breeds are too similar to make a difference.

I however believe in diversity as being key when it comes to breeds. There generally is no point in having the same pet (stats+moveset) twice. The only situations that I can think of are: an encounter that favors stacking the same pet in the same breed multiple times or a themed pvp team where you use the exact same pet x3 (although with different names). I do not consider it likely that you want to stack this specific breed turtle x3. Nor do I find it likely that you want to play a triple H/S or B/B turtle team, like I play my 2 Bunnies & a Hare team.

Choose both. You might get a PvE where an opponent has 271 speed and where it is beneficial that you go first (H/S). You might find an encounter where you have to burst quicker through cool downs, or an s/s imp won't heal because of the additional absorption (B/B). It generally won't matter, but it might.
Where I greatly appreciate having different breeds is PvP. I generally mix a lot of pets together while creating teams. I find it an advantage to have different speeds to choose from. It allows me more freedom in choosing my match ups. I want to avoid having 260 speed x2, or 273 speed x2 in a team. I might get a an additional cleaner if they have different stats. One of my pets might not get countered by a stun pet. I like reducing risk.

I am biased though. I like trying to min max breeds, so that my 'same moveset pets' feel useful. "Ah, lets choose this Chipmunk instead of the Squirrel, I will take one less hit and I have not used a Chipmunk in a while. I can finally find a 'good' use for my chipmunk". It generally won't matter.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » April 8th, 2014, 9:48 pm

I was going to say b/b for one h/s for the other... same moveset... then pull out whichever you feel like.
Assuming you would ever use them at all :twisted: