looking for some collecting and leveling help

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Tyberian
Pet Score:2680
Realm:Kilrogg-eu
looking for some collecting and leveling help

Post by Tyberian » April 2nd, 2014, 5:06 am

Hi there,

Having recently started (and become ridiculously addicted to) pet battles looking for some help.

Are there any pets that are obviously missing or worthwhile- and are there any specifics I should be leveling asap?

On the subject of leveling, other than the trainers in panda land is it worth revisiting the other trainees in a zero the for leveling lowbie pets or is it more efficient grinding out panda land wilds?

Thanks for any mentoring you can give me.

Ty

Hobbitpolitics
Top Rater
Pet Score:4678
BattleTag®:HowPolitical#2973
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Re: looking for some collecting and leveling help

Post by Hobbitpolitics » April 2nd, 2014, 9:43 am

Firstly, for leveling your pets you should always try to have the experience boosts up and those are the rewards for doing the weekly pvp pet battle quest and doing the Beasts of Fable quests. There are plenty of ways to level your pets, some more advanced than the others. You can farm aquatics near Aki the Chosen, by having your leveling pet + pets with hard hitting flying abilities. You can also take a pet from level 1 by starting at the first trainer "Julia Stevens" or "Zunta" for horde and then kill every tamer all the way up to northrend, this would take up alot more time so I don´t reccomend it.

There are a few pets that are nice to have, like the Anubisath Idol, any fox, (Arctic fox kit for example), Crows/Ravens, Unborn Valkyr, Mechanical Dragon, any rabbit, Fossilized Hatchling, Darkmoon mechanicals, Bonkers and ofcourse everybody loves Imps... These are examples of some of the more mainstream pets that people tend to use. You can look up alot of leveling guides by googling, you might end up finding interesting results. Good luck, hope this helped :)

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » April 3rd, 2014, 6:03 pm

To help with time, you can park alts at tamers. I especially do the ones with bag rewards (winterspring, uldum, dead wind pass, argent tourney). I can usually get in, choose my team, and get out before I can even "revive pets."

I use Emerald Proto Whelp (p/p) for lvling other pets a lot in addition to the ones mentioned above.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » April 7th, 2014, 8:09 am

The DM Faire is going on right now so if you have any tickets this would be a good time to pick up those pets if you can and they are great pets too particularly tonk, zep, and monkey and blue quality pet to boot. ( check your AH prices too since you are allowed 3 pets at a time they are cageable and extras can be sold if the price is right ). I always go w/ a tanking pet that hits hard and a pet w/ healing abilities ( since you don't get bandages in the beginning when you need them the most until you are able to do tamers that drop bags. If you can afford it get a anubisath idol ( the prices have dropped alot on this pet, it hits hard and shield w/ sandstorm is great ) This pet is on a main weekly battle team and worth the few hundred gold you will pay for it. Also capture a crow at DM faire right now and gull. They aren't tradable, but very low level and you can get these now outside the main grounds around the faire area. Crows/ ravens are great battle pets along w/ rabbits. You will need a self heal pet getting started, of course my favorite was the emerald whelping ( ain't cheap ), but there are others if you are poor. Look for an aqua ( water ) pet you can capture in the wild most have some healing properties, if you got just a little to spend fossilized hatchling and mechanical dragonling has dropped in a reasonable price range for the beginner. I still visit tamers outside of pandaland in old world areas that DROP BAGS. First I can take my alts there and they are easier to beat I got all my random pet drops from trixey, tamer in winterspring and it never hurts to be able to level a pet through any trainer. Hope this helps and good luck to you :)

Mavix1988
Pet Score:1567
Realm:Agamaggan-eu

Post by Mavix1988 » April 9th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Gwenolyn wrote:To help with time, you can park alts at tamers. I especially do the ones with bag rewards (winterspring, uldum, dead wind pass, argent tourney). I can usually get in, choose my team, and get out before I can even "revive pets."

I use Emerald Proto Whelp (p/p) for lvling other pets a lot in addition to the ones mentioned above.
Emerald Proto-Whelp is a must-have for leveling a lot of pets.

Druzy
Pet Score:4598
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by Druzy » April 9th, 2014, 9:13 pm

How do you know which pets are strong and weak against other pets? Well, there are pet family traits and then there are abilities on specific pets; specifics is more advanced and you can look them up per pet here. Family traits are as follows:

Aquatic +Elemental -Magic
Beast +Critter -Flying
Critter +Undead -Humanoid
Dragonkin +Magic -Undead
Elemental +Mechanical -Critter

Flying +Aquatic -Dragonkin
Humanoid +Dragonkin -Beast
Magic +Flying -Mechanical
Mechanical +Beast -Elemental
Undead +Humanoid -Aquatic

What's that mean? Use a moth against a frog but avoid using a creepy crate against that same frog.

Avoid the auction house for the time being. Collect wild battle pets and drop/vendor/achievement pets for now. Use healing pets to help capture wild pets and help level other pets with. Going against the tamers (start quest is in Org/Stormwind) will help level you and your pets, select tamers give bags with useful and useless items in them.

I have my favorite pets, just as all do, find what works for you. My personal favorite is [pet]Amethyst Spiderling[/pet] what with [ability]Brittle Webbing[/ability] and [ability]Leech Life[/ability], but these are not unique to this pet so you don't have to wait until Pandaland to get a spider with these abilities. [pet]Amber Moth[/pet] is often mentioned but you can substitute a [pet]Fungal Moth[/pet] for it, and yes, this is another favorite of mine.

There are several addons from curse that are listed in a sticky on the forums here. I particularly like the Pet Battle Breed ID and Pet Battle Teams.

If you are able to get to Pandaland then the Beasts of Fable surrounding pets are great to level your pets against. Battle Stones have a chance to drop whenever you win a pet battle. The lead (primary) pet type is usually the type of stone you receive (beast and flying are more numerous to need stoning as are more likely to be vendor/drops and unable to be captured as rare).

Why do you want a rare pet? Think of pet rarity as tiers of armor. The rarer your pet the more oomph it has. I've also noticed that rarer quality wild pets fight better/smarter than poor quality counterparts, but that could just be me.

Overall, this is a patience thing. The more patient you are in collecting the less waste you'll generate in collecting.