Blinding Poison - but a 95% chance ability still hits.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Dimmulux
Pet Score:2011
BattleTag®:Sepia#2808
Realm:Zenedar-eu
Blinding Poison - but a 95% chance ability still hits.

Post by Dimmulux » March 27th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Hi all,

I just lost a pet battle due to being killed by a pet that had just had Blinding Poison applied to it. As I understand it, an ability should never hit through Blinding Poison unless the ability has a base hit chance of greater than 100% or conditions for 'always hits if' are met. This cannot be the case here as the ability which killed my pet was Metal Fist. A screenshot of the combat log is attached.

As I use Blinding Poison in my main PvP team, I am interested to know what I'm missing. Could anyone point it out to me?

Thoughts much appreciated.
Attachments
Hit through Blinding Poison.png
Hit through Blinding Poison.png (119.78KiB)Viewed 2664 times

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Blinding Poison - but a 95% chance ability still hits.

Post by Jerebear » March 27th, 2014, 8:41 pm

If the team has a +hit team buff, it would allow things to hit through blinding poison.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Dimmulux

Post by Dimmulux » March 27th, 2014, 11:14 pm

Jerebear wrote:If the team has a +hit team buff, it would allow things to hit through blinding poison.
That's a good point that I didn't explicitly consider above, but the opposing team consisted of:

Anubisath Idol
Creepy Crate
Son of Animus

None of these can provide a hit buff, so that can't have been the cause.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » March 28th, 2014, 4:53 am

There is a theory that negative hit % will sometimes, due to a bug(?), be turned to a positive hit. Especially evident during Sandstrom, which was the first time you got hit.

So Metal Fist 95% Blind -100% Sandstorm -10%, should turn into a negative hit chance with no possible way of hitting. But is believed to actually turn into 15% hit chance. And even without the Sandstorm it could turn into 5% hit chance.

But we have had other screenshots where things like Ion Cannon(ouch) with 100% hit still hit through a -100% blind, without other modifiers.

So there is something fishy with blind, yes. Multiple other posts about this subject.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » March 28th, 2014, 6:26 am

Most of the time blinding poison works but there are times it doesn't.
Heck I have been hit by 50% moves like belly slide or demolish more than a few times while having the pet blinded.
Sucks hopefully they fix it.

Dimmulux

Post by Dimmulux » March 28th, 2014, 8:24 am

I think this bug must have caused it then, thanks for the responses.

As for the first Metal Fist shown in this part of the log, Blinding Poison had just faded and so making the hit chance of the Metal Fist 85%. It was the killing blow which exhibits the bug.

Mojogrow
Pet Score:3210
Realm:Eitrigg-us

Post by Mojogrow » March 28th, 2014, 8:30 am

What I personally hate most is that some moves like the Murkalot's first slot move, Plot twist from Bad Robot, Nut barrage (Or any of the "4 things falling on your head then Dot" moves) and Moth balls all CONSISTENTLY hit though blind. It's not like, oh maybe, they are supposed to have a 0% hit chance or anything... In a way this makes DAH more "Balanced" but I'd rather see him get nerfed slightly than have him be beaten only by bugs and seemingly random hits.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » March 28th, 2014, 10:28 am

Dreadful breath will also hit a lot thru blinding so now I like to use that move.
If a bug is gonna hit me might as well use it against my opponent.
Comes down to RNG and how blizz can never get that to work right.
When I go for my 10 wins a week on average I lose 2 to 4 battles due to RNG.
Wish they take out miss chances and just have a move do lesser damage if RNG decides so.
Much better than losing to an opponent who needs one hit to die and I am at full health.
Which has happened to me multiple times heck once I had an opponent 2 pets to his 1 mine full health his half and lost.
I missed 3 out 5 times and the opponent hit 5 for 5 with belly slide a 50% hit chance move .