C.T. Guidance

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us
C.T. Guidance

Post by Kel » March 25th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Hey gang,
I've looked at the extensive guide posted on this forum and read some other stuff elsewhere regarding Celestial Tournament methods. I think some of the pets discussed I simply don't have, things like Unborn Valk and so on. I want to get started on C.T. soon, but what I need to know is this;

Am I just simply not ready yet with the pets I have?

If I can start, how would you approach the team building given my current pets? Can you outline a list for each battle that you'd try? Or am I just asking too much?

Thanks guys.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Regillixavatar
Pet Score:1735
Realm:Trollbane-us

Re: C.T. Guidance

Post by Regillixavatar » March 25th, 2014, 2:30 pm

So, I haven't had a chance to check them yet but I'm figuring that the Champions we face this week are Wrathion, Chen Stormstout, and Taran Zhu (if I'm wrong I'll update this post). I keep a running text document with my notes on how to beat them and it usually doesn't steer me wrong. The best part is that most of the pets I use are fairly common (aside from the Pandaren Monk and Clockwork Gnome)

Chen Stormstout
Lead with Strong Mech pet burst down the beast pet
Kun-Lai Runt - Mangle and then Rampage the critter pet
Spirit Crab - Whirlpool then Surge (Maybe Eternal Strider or another Crab?)

Wrathion
Rabbit - Dodge on round 2, burrow on round 3. Take scratch instead of flank
Peddlefeet - Bowshot first dragon pet. Save shot through the heart for 1st round of pet 3
Anubisath Idol - just a filler pet, any humanoid will work

Taran Zhu
Snail (or a critter to resist stun)
Moth (try to swap on the turn his first pet feigns death, turn 4)
Blighthawk (ghostly bite and infected claws)

For the celestials themselves:

Xu-Fu
Sunreaver Micro-Sentry - Fel Immolate then Call Lightning
Clockwork Gnome - Build Turrent
Chrominius - Howl, Surge of Power

Zao
Skywisp Moth - Call Lightning, Slicing Winds, won't likely get 3rd move
Zandalari Raptor - Black Claw, Hunting Party, likely won't need 3rd pet
Cogblade Raptor - Batter is the only move you need, and will only need it once

Chi-Chi
Rapana Whelk - Acidic Goo, Magic attack, Dive
Other Snail - Dive on Ethereal round, keep acidic goo up, magic attacks
Magic Pet - Darkmoon eye or Willy is nice for Slow or Interrupt

Yu'la
Feline Familiar - Call Darkness is the only move needed, 2nd move is to lift off so make sure to hit with Call of Darkness
Pandaren Monk - Focus Chi, Fury of 100% Fists, Takedown until Yu'la down
3rd pet not usually needed, any humanoid will do

If you are struggling with a specific fight, let me know and I can see what I can figure out using your pets

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » March 25th, 2014, 3:33 pm

You've got 44 total level 25 pets with 2 duplicates. It's possible to beat the CT with that few pets but I'm not sure your mix of pets can pull it off. The Unborn Valk is the least important part of that team but you don't have any howl pets either which pretty much kills of any chance of using that team. You can probably take down Chi-Chi with 2 snails and the Wisp but I'm having a hard time figuring out teams for anything else. Not to say that you couldn't beat them but I'm not seeing any obvious teams that would work.

I'd start by planning out your teams for the 4 celestials as they will always be there to fight. If you level your Chrominius you can use it with the Pandaran Water spirit to beat 3 of the 4 of them with the Crawdad healing them in between fights as needed. Then you'd just need to figure out a team for Yu'la or get mr bigglesworth or the gregarious grell both of which can solo her. Once you've got your teams for that then you can start looking at strategies for the 3 undercard fights or just looking for match ups that might work with the pets you have. Taran Zhu and Wrathion seemed to be more problematic for most people when the tournament first came out so it might not be the best week to start.

If you start doing it and have trouble with a specific fight then do post that as we may be able to give suggestions but it may not be easy to beat even then with out leveling more pets first. With limited pets you aren't going to have a great a margin for error so you may be looking for a lucky run through at least the first three trainers to be able to beat it.

I guess ultimately the question is do you want to spend time trying and probably failing the CT with your current pets hoping to get lucky or find a workable combination for this week or do you want to spend your time leveling more pets to make it easier when you do get around to doing it.

Kel

Post by Kel » March 25th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Kpb321 wrote:You've got 44 total level 25 pets with 2 duplicates. It's possible to beat the CT with that few pets but I'm not sure your mix of pets can pull it off. The Unborn Valk is the least important part of that team but you don't have any howl pets either which pretty much kills of any chance of using that team. You can probably take down Chi-Chi with 2 snails and the Wisp but I'm having a hard time figuring out teams for anything else. Not to say that you couldn't beat them but I'm not seeing any obvious teams that would work.

I'd start by planning out your teams for the 4 celestials as they will always be there to fight. If you level your Chrominius you can use it with the Pandaran Water spirit to beat 3 of the 4 of them with the Crawdad healing them in between fights as needed. Then you'd just need to figure out a team for Yu'la or get mr bigglesworth or the gregarious grell both of which can solo her. Once you've got your teams for that then you can start looking at strategies for the 3 undercard fights or just looking for match ups that might work with the pets you have. Taran Zhu and Wrathion seemed to be more problematic for most people when the tournament first came out so it might not be the best week to start. . .
Yea, that's sort of the exact thing I was looking for. I appreciate the brutal honesty when looking at my current collection, that's why I asked in the manner I did.

I like the thought of planning the celestials first. This whole part where you have to consider teams that render certain pets un-usable for other battles is throwing me off. I'm really use to healing between battles, so this is completely foreign to me.
Kpb321 wrote:. . .If you start doing it and have trouble with a specific fight then do post that as we may be able to give suggestions but it may not be easy to beat even then with out leveling more pets first. With limited pets you aren't going to have a great a margin for error so you may be looking for a lucky run through at least the first three trainers to be able to beat it.

I guess ultimately the question is do you want to spend time trying and probably failing the CT with your current pets hoping to get lucky or find a workable combination for this week or do you want to spend your time leveling more pets to make it easier when you do get around to doing it.
It sounds like I should spend another week leveling pets aimed at specific scenarios in the C.T. Using the Pandaren dailies I've become pretty good at leveling at least 1 a day, usually 1.5 a day (starting from lvl1). I can't seem to carry a leveling pet through any of the Beasts Of Fable and I struggle with carrying a pet through the Thundering Spirit, so those aren't factored into my leveling path. I also haven't figured out how to carry a pet through Major Payne, the Outlands guy or Obalis, so those aren't factored either.

Having looked at my current collection, what would you put at the top of the list to be leveled so I could maybe start the C.T. next week? You mentioned Chrominius for the Howl-Bomb setup. I do have a Lil' Bad Wolf leveled. Can his Howl sub for Chrominius or is the Surge too important?

Again, thanks guys.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » March 25th, 2014, 3:55 pm

You can heal any surviving pets between fights when you get to the celestials. Just put them in a team with a pet that can team-heal, and initiate a fight with Yu-lon. He always does shield and lift-off as his first two rounds, so you get a chance to heal your team then forfeit before taking any damage.

Kel

Post by Kel » March 25th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Graven wrote:You can heal any surviving pets between fights when you get to the celestials. Just put them in a team with a pet that can team-heal, and initiate a fight with Yu-lon. He always does shield and lift-off as his first two rounds, so you get a chance to heal your team then forfeit before taking any damage.
Do they not take the 10% damage (or whatever it is) from forfeiting?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » March 25th, 2014, 4:34 pm

Not in the CT, no. :)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » March 25th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Kel wrote: It sounds like I should spend another week leveling pets aimed at specific scenarios in the C.T. Using the Pandaren dailies I've become pretty good at leveling at least 1 a day, usually 1.5 a day (starting from lvl1). I can't seem to carry a leveling pet through any of the Beasts Of Fable and I struggle with carrying a pet through the Thundering Spirit, so those aren't factored into my leveling path. I also haven't figured out how to carry a pet through Major Payne, the Outlands guy or Obalis, so those aren't factored either.

Having looked at my current collection, what would you put at the top of the list to be leveled so I could maybe start the C.T. next week? You mentioned Chrominius for the Howl-Bomb setup. I do have a Lil' Bad Wolf leveled. Can his Howl sub for Chrominius or is the Surge too important?

Again, thanks guys.
Don't try to do a carry pet with the Beasts of Fable. The EXP on them is not worth it at all. For the thundering look at the guide on this site:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... 556#p57979

There are two strategies there you can do:
Snail + Zepp. You just need to level the Zepplin next and you can do the Thundering with this team:

Rabbit + Pand Mech Dragonling. You already have the rabbit, now you just need something to replace the Mech Dragonling. Your Scourged Whelpling can probably tail sweep the magic pet into oblivion in place of the Mech Dragon. You can try this without even needing to level a mech dragon. Just make sure you pick a rabbit with speed > 300 (you have at least one already).

My suggestion is make sure you have solid teams for all 11 Pandaria Tamers first (7 zone tamers + 4 spirits). I know this doesn't get you a faster CT kill on the surface, but if you can get all the tamers nailed down, levelling 3-4 pets per night becomes a lot easier and will make the CT easier in the long run.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » March 25th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Kel wrote:Having looked at my current collection, what would you put at the top of the list to be leveled so I could maybe start the C.T. next week? You mentioned Chrominius for the Howl-Bomb setup. I do have a Lil' Bad Wolf leveled. Can his Howl sub for Chrominius or is the Surge too important?
You could try the Lil bad wolf but surge is part of the plan. The Celestials have a buff that basically gives them the magic racial (can't loose more than 35% of their health in a single hit) so you need a minimum of 3 hits to kill them. Surge gives you a third big hit that will hit all three bosses for enough to finish them and is 100% chance to hit. The wolf is lacking that and actually has a weak attack against chi-chi so I doubt you could use him for the howl bomb there. It might work against the other two but if doesn't finish xu-fu on the first hit he could get a feed off on you which would completely mess you up. Claw is also a 90% hit move so has a small chance of missing and screwing up the strat.

As far as what to level first that really depends on what you want to do. Making sure you have teams for the tamers/spirits isn't a bad idea as that really is a good way to level pets. If you want to get the first CT win out of the way first then it would be down to working out your teams you plan to use and leveling the missing pets like chromi for the howl bomb.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » March 25th, 2014, 9:50 pm

You should be able to clear the celestial tournament with the pets that you have.

Kel

Post by Kel » March 25th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Reimported my pets after leveling both Chrominius and a Darkmoon Zepp today. Hopefully they will shore up a couple spots. I'm going to focus on leveling the ones I really need this week and see about hitting it next week when I'm not dealing with Taran Zhu and Wrathion on my first attempt. Let me know if you see something in my collection that I should put at the top of the list to level.

Thanks guys!
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Kel

Post by Kel » March 30th, 2014, 1:13 am

Ok, so I tried this thing a couple times, since I just couldn't wait till next week. I seem to have assembled teams that can handle Taran Zhu (Lost of Lordaeron, Scourged Whelpling, Blighthawk) and Chen (Menagerie Custodian, Crystal Spider, Emperor Crab). But when I get to Wrathion I'm totally getting owned. I tried a cricket, Flayer Youngling and Kun-Lai Runt. But for some reason they just get owned. I can get past the undead dragon, but the other two just simply roll me. What am I doing wrong?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370

Post by Jerebear » March 30th, 2014, 9:41 am

The big issue I see with the team you have is the Flayer Youngling is the wrong breed for this fight. To be effective against dragons, you have to be faster than them. Your Youngling only has 289 speed while the dragons are 300. Only an S/S breed Youngling will do well here. This is one of those cases where the right breed is important. Also note, I use the Kun-lai runt on the last guy too, but I make sure that he has enough time to do Frost Shock, Deep Freeze, Take down without Elementium bolt hitting him. If elementium bolt hits him, chances are you are going to die, so you have to build your team to make sure you have enough control on the fight to swap in the Runt when you are ready (Right after a geyser hits). The runt does have an 85% chance not to land deepfreeze though, so when I use him, I do Wrathion before the other two tamers incase it misses and I can just easily start over without losing any time.

EDIT: When I first had trouble on him, I found that a snail, even a level 22 snail, could easily take down the first guy. Shell shield mitigates the dot, and dive avoids ice tomb. Then depending on how strong your snail is, you use either Ooze touch for more damage, or absorb for survival. That doesn't help for the dragons I know, but I don't know who you plan to use for Yu'la later, so I am hesitant to offer up a different team. Who do you plan to use for Yu'la so we can better help you figure out a team?

EDIT: IF you are happy with how well the cricket takes down the undead guy, no need to swap to the snail. I was just thinking outloud there.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Poofah
Pet Score:4206

Post by Poofah » March 30th, 2014, 10:06 am

Alex has a huge power advantage and the heal is probably putting you too far behind. Your Scourged Whelpling is ideal for this fight due to Call Darkness and reduced incoming damage. You just need to find a substitute in your Zhu team, which could probably be a spider.

*edit* -- assuming cricket kills Sindy, then you should expect the scourged whelp to kill Alex, and live long enough to soak the first Elementium Bolt. Any humanoid damage should be enough to finish Dada, but Flayer's avoidance could be helpful.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » March 30th, 2014, 10:47 am

On the first guy you could use your cricket, a rabbit or your snail.
One the second guy I would ideally use a Scourged Whelpling, but either a Kun-Lai Runt (Takedown spam), Zandalari Anklerender might work.
On the third guy I would use a Blighthawk (Heal+Lift Off) or even a Snake.

I would really like to try Blossoming Ancient, Magical Crawdad, Singing Sunflower. You start with Blossoming Ancient for Sunlight + Heal. Then you swap in the Singing Sunflower for Sunlight + Heal. You will slowly kill his whole team with Sunlight back row damage. Use Wish to heal someone/keep everyone at full hp.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » March 30th, 2014, 11:35 am

Kel wrote:
Graven wrote:You can heal any surviving pets between fights when you get to the celestials. Just put them in a team with a pet that can team-heal, and initiate a fight with Yu-lon. He always does shield and lift-off as his first two rounds, so you get a chance to heal your team then forfeit before taking any damage.
Do they not take the 10% damage (or whatever it is) from forfeiting?
Your pets only take damage from forfeiting a battle with wild pets. They never take damage from forfeiting a battle associated with a quest.

Kel

Post by Kel » March 30th, 2014, 11:51 am

Jerebear wrote:. . . Who do you plan to use for Yu'la so we can better help you figure out a team? . . .
My plan for the celestials was as follows:
Xu-Fu - Water Spirit, Chrominius, Darkmon Tonk
Chi-Chi - My 2 snails and Arcane Eye
Zao - Skywisp Moth, Zand. Ankle Render, Zand. Kneebiter
Yu'La - Bonkers, A Rabbit, Anubisath Idol.

So as you can see, the snails had been planned elsewhere so I'm hesitant to use them before hand. Also, since my Blighthawk and Scourged Whelpling are being used on Taran Zhu it changes things when I get to Wrathion. Typically I can keep one of them alive, but not both. So I could heal the one up before actually battling Wrathion. It's just a matter of which one I use last as to which one lives.
Awq wrote:. . .
I would really like to try Blossoming Ancient, Magical Crawdad, Singing Sunflower. You start with Blossoming Ancient for Sunlight + Heal. Then you swap in the Singing Sunflower for Sunlight + Heal. You will slowly kill his whole team with Sunlight back row damage. Use Wish to heal someone/keep everyone at full hp.
This seems interesting, and I'm wondering if anyone has had success with it. I see a lot of guys saying "I'd like to try it" but haven't seen any confirmed "it works" yet.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Kel

Post by Kel » March 30th, 2014, 12:29 pm

Also, doesn't the opponent list change today?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » March 30th, 2014, 2:34 pm

The first three tamers change Tuesday morning when it resets.

If you don't mind leveling it you from 23 you could use your jungle grub on taran zu. Consume, Acidic Goo and Leap are surprisingly effective for that fight. I use mr grubbs but it's the same moves. My usual rotation is something like Goo, consume, leap, consume repeat. I use him on the second guy after the first guy swaps on the feign. The first guy always feigns after he drops below half health so I use that turn to swap out my first pet and bring in my grubb. Leap when you are blinded as you still get the speed buff and ensures you can consume and get your heal before they attack next turn. Consume is undead so gets bonus dmg + 25% from goo +beast racial when your pet gets low = pretty good sized hits and heals. That could let you pull your scourged whelpling out of that team.

As far as the flayer youngling the breed does make all the difference. My flayer is s/s and can usually solo the second two with ease. My cricket kills the first guys and survives long enough to eat all the stacks of the dot. I also make sure he uses swarm when he's going to die leaving up a round or two of the debuff. Flayer comes in and usually does kick then blitz so the second guy ends up dying before he even gets to do anything against him. Against the third guy it's blitz, blitz, deflection when the bolt should hit and kick when it's back off cd.

Kel

Post by Kel » March 30th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. I still have today's dailies to level a couple pets off of, so I could run the Grub up real quick.

So since my Flayer is the wrong one, anyone got some tips on what they'd do there to replace him?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington