PvP teams

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Zaheer12a
Pet Score:2396
Realm:Anachronos-eu
PvP teams

Post by Zaheer12a » March 20th, 2014, 4:40 am

Hey guys, I was looking for some advice from the more experienced pet battlers out there. I am an achievement hunter in the first place and of course, I can't leave the pet battle achievements uncompleted!

So recently I've tried some PvP pet battles (with level 25 pets). I have to say, this didn't go too well. I ended up leveling a CloneDance team since a lot of people were saying it's really good, etc. So I tried it with Blighthawk/Jademist Dancer/Toothy , but I ended up with a 5-1 record. Most of these were against the same person, can't remember exactly what team it was, but it had a Fiendish Imp in there.

I also tried making other teams based on some guides I read. I tried out teams based on coverage and weather effects, but it didn't really work out. This is where you guys come in! You can all see my pet collection and I'd really appreciate some advice for what pets to focus on. The lack of success has been a bit frustrating, so I hope I can get some help here.

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Re: PvP teams

Post by Maleric » March 20th, 2014, 8:31 am

Anubisath Idol/Magical Crawdad/Xu-Fu would probably mess a lot of teams up, if you want to level the latter.

However, six games against mostly the same opponent may not be enough to see how a team works. So maybe give the CloneDance team a few more tries? That team might be better with a stronger counter to Unborn Val'kyr, too, for example an H/S or S/S frog.

Mojogrow
Pet Score:3210
Realm:Eitrigg-us

Post by Mojogrow » March 20th, 2014, 8:40 am

A 5-1 record... as in 5 wins and a single loss? That's pretty darn good!

As for teams, try and see what your Battlegroup's meta is, which is usually Unborn Val'kyr, DAH, or the two of them working in cahoots with one another. That said, you will either want to copy them, or counter them.

Since copying them just adds more FOTM teams to the mix, I would suggest countering them. Try including pets such as Sen'jin Fetish or the Archaeology counterpart, P/P Emperor Crab (Shield on that thing will completely deny Ms. Val'kyr) or Direhorns with shield just to name a few.

If you really wanna copy them, get a Val'kyr, join the bandwagon, etc etc. I suggest running it with a fast stun/blind and another fast dodge/blind/exchange pet to make full use of Haunt and/or CoD.

My suggestion, if you wanna stay clonedancer, Use a dragon /w Cyclone, Dancer and Sen'jin Fetish (the argent tourney voodoo mask)

Zaheer12a

Post by Zaheer12a » March 20th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Mojogrow wrote:A 5-1 record... as in 5 wins and a single loss? That's pretty darn good!

As for teams, try and see what your Battlegroup's meta is, which is usually Unborn Val'kyr, DAH, or the two of them working in cahoots with one another. That said, you will either want to copy them, or counter them.

Since copying them just adds more FOTM teams to the mix, I would suggest countering them. Try including pets such as Sen'jin Fetish or the Archaeology counterpart, P/P Emperor Crab (Shield on that thing will completely deny Ms. Val'kyr) or Direhorns with shield just to name a few.

If you really wanna copy them, get a Val'kyr, join the bandwagon, etc etc. I suggest running it with a fast stun/blind and another fast dodge/blind/exchange pet to make full use of Haunt and/or CoD.

My suggestion, if you wanna stay clonedancer, Use a dragon /w Cyclone, Dancer and Sen'jin Fetish (the argent tourney voodoo mask)
Oops, just noticed I wrote it down wrong... it's supposed to be 1-5 (so 5 losses). And will try both of your tactics and see how it pans out. Will level Xu-Fu as well, since I like the pet anyways (based on looks, haven't seen it battle).

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » March 20th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Zaheer12a wrote:Oops, just noticed I wrote it down wrong... it's supposed to be 1-5 (so 5 losses). And will try both of your tactics and see how it pans out. Will level Xu-Fu as well, since I like the pet anyways (based on looks, haven't seen it battle).
That makes more sense :P It's March Madness! Get those win-loss records straight ;)

But seriously, I've run with a similar clonedancer team in my rotation for quite a while now, and there is a fiendish imp/magic broom/valk team that is a beast of a challenge. The guy anticipates well, can swap my pet out before I can cyclone or rain dance, can take less damage from aquatic, and can sweep away cyclone (devastating to clonedancer!).

I've beaten him, but it's a really tough fight, and I don't win them all. Not nearly.

My advice, same as the above. Level a second team to swap to when you're seeing the same team pummel you over and over. If it continues to be the imp team, come up with something to specifically counter him. If it's the above imp team, try something with scorched earth and conflag (fel flame/searing scorchling), a fast critter--s/s rabbit vs broom and/or valk is always entertaining--and a 3rd that fits in there. Maybe an undead that will take less damage from scorched earth and can trounce on the imp.

Even with a prefect counter, though, you'll need to anticipate things and switch out pets at the right time. Don't put your undead in vs the imp when nethergate is off cd. Or if you do, switch him out right away and watch the imp gate him back in, if you're lucky. I love it when that happens.

But I guess the moral of the story is to have multiple teams. When one team starts losing, or becomes boring, move on to another. Many of us have a dozen or more teams we cycle through to keep it from getting too mind numbing.

Zaheer12a

Post by Zaheer12a » March 21st, 2014, 3:48 pm

So after the replies here I tried Clonedance a bit more, it was so-so if I'm honest. I got some wins, but still have more losses (about 4-7). I leveled Xu-Fu and went with Xu-Fu/Crawdad/Idol. The idol wasn't very useful in the fights I had, so I switched it for a Hopling. Eventually I ended up with 11-10. Most losses were due to not so great RNG (prowl+feed miss, multi moves getting 3 hits and killing xu-fu before feed, etc.). So I think I'll stick to this team while leveling some other strong pets. Any recommendations on pets to level?

P.S. Still trying to get a Death Adder Hatchling on timesink isle...

Tonid
Pet Score:5172
Realm:Darkmoon Faire-eu

Post by Tonid » March 21st, 2014, 5:46 pm

I find Death Adder Hatchling overrated, I usually win with teams that contain it, one just needs to do lots of swapping.

My latest experiment is giving quite interesting results:
1. Nexus Whelpling with Tail Sweep, Mana Surge, Arcane Storm
2. Harmonious Porcupette with Scratch, Celestial Blessing and Tranquility
3. Lil' XT with Zap, Heartbroken and Tympanic Tantrum.

The trick here is timing and of course, the opponent's team. Nexus Whelpling is here mainly for Arcane Storm (so no stuns/freezes are possible). Porcupette provides damage reduction for XT with Celestial Blessing. And then comes in XT with Heartbroken and Tympanic Tantrum, AOE-ing the opponent heavily.

I found it works wonders on 3-moth teams, as Nexus Whelpling downs the first moth easily with Mana Surge, and then XT finishes off the rest nicely.