Zone-wide permanent weather effects?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Simenon
Pet Score:3946
BattleTag®:Simenon#2667
Realm:Nemesis-eu
Zone-wide permanent weather effects?

Post by Simenon » March 13th, 2014, 5:02 am

What would you think if the environment where you fight a pet battle would matter more? By that I mean, pet-battle weather by default is none, but what if for certain zones there was a specific standard weather effect?

For ex.
- Kun Lai Summit, Storm Peaks, Winterspring: Blizzard
- Tanaris, Silithus, Uldum: Sandstorm
- Deadwind Pass, Coldarra, Netherstorm: Arcane Winds
- Burning Steppes, Searing Gorge, Hellfire Peninsula, Blasted Lands: Scorched Earth
- Duskwood, Tirisfal Glades, Shadowmoon Valley (Outland): Darkness
- Ashenvale, Teldrassil, Shadowmoon Valley (Draenor): Moonlight
- Mulgore: Sunny Day
- Zangarmarsh, Swamp of Sorrows, Wetlands: Mudslide

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Re: Zone-wide permanent weather effects?

Post by FuxieDK » March 13th, 2014, 6:25 am

Interresting idea...

But should it be a permanent weather (making player cast weather impossible) or just act like a pre-cast weather, which is cancelled by player weather spells? If the latter, should it be default duration or 99 turns?

Also, you can add Theremore to Arcane Winds zone :roll:
Caves should automatic apply Darkness, regardless of the zone weather. :shock:

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » March 13th, 2014, 6:33 am

Fun idea which might work in PvE vs wild pets, trainers and could definetly be a nice addition to scenario type bet battles. In random PvP where you get ported to different zones I believe A LOT of people would be frustrated with another variable out of their control, even though it would be same playing field for both parts, so for PvP probably a big No No. I wouldn't mind myself, but I don't take it so seriously.

Simenon
Pet Score:3946
BattleTag®:Simenon#2667
Realm:Nemesis-eu

Post by Simenon » March 13th, 2014, 9:47 am

Glad to hear positive responses! :D
FuxieDK wrote:But should it be a permanent weather (making player cast weather impossible) or just act like a pre-cast weather, which is cancelled by player weather spells? If the latter, should it be default duration or 99 turns?
I think it should allow battling pets to change weather, with the only difference that, once the "artificial" weather's duration expires, it should revert back to that weather. That would also give it a 99-round duration. :)
FuxieDK wrote:Also, you can add Theremore to Arcane Winds zone :roll:
Caves should automatic apply Darkness, regardless of the zone weather. :shock:
Yeah, those were just the first that came to my mind. Although, I did spend some time thinking which zone would be appropriate to have Cleansing Rain... The only one I can think of is Jaguero Isle in Stranglethorn... Any other idea?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 13th, 2014, 12:13 pm

I think it sounds like a very interesting idea. I'm all for it so long as it's implemented well!

Like others have mentioned, players should be able to change the weather when using a pet that alters it (reverting back once the player's weather ends). PVE only.

It would definitely add another layer of complexity to Tamer battles, and sounds neat in theory but may not work out as well in practice. Some things to consider: Would it replace any weather that the Tamer pets already use? Will it feel like it "forces" the majority of players to use a weather changing pet when completing Tamer dailies? Or will there still be an element of choice, where non-weather changer teams are still viable?

If there are other issues that can't seem to be resolved well enough to keep things fun and balanced, perhaps the environmental weather should be applied to wild battles only.

For Cleansing Rain, how about Moonglade? It's an overcast Druid-y area (healing-centric), so maybe it would fit?

Call Lightning (Lightning storm) could be applied to Netherstorm (along with Arcane Winds)? Definitely Isle of Thunder though.

I think Acidic Rain would need its own zone, even though it eventually causes Cleansing Rain.

What about a few weather effects being applied to a single zone (if appropriate)? Might add some diversity for wild battles, and you never know for sure which weather you'll get. :P
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » March 13th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Interesting idea but I'm not sure that having it be automatic for all those zones is really the best option. That would make it kinda boring and just another thing you had to plan for when battling a trainer or capturing wild pets. I think it would be much more interesting if it was specific to the actual weather or the area. So any time it's raining or snowing in a zone you have cleansing rain or blizzard. If your fighting scaling basilisks in Blades edge mountain scorched earth makes sense for that small area. Darkness in a cave is a cool idea.

Beardydan
Pet Score:5027
Realm:Doomhammer-eu

Post by Beardydan » March 13th, 2014, 7:43 pm

I think its a great idea, Shadowmoon Valley in WoD should start with moonlight.

Se5s
Pet Score:3144
BattleTag®:sess#1102
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Se5s » March 15th, 2014, 2:12 pm

GREAT idea for pve, even against the tamers. in pvp it probably couldn't work since we're not both in the same zone ;)

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » March 17th, 2014, 8:32 am

Agree very good idea for pve.
As for pvp you get sent to a random place to do so.
It could lead to unfair advantage say if I have a darkness team I don't have to spend a turn on darkness.
This means I could do nocturnal strike first move that would lead to situations where it is unavoidable.
And that is just for darkness team fire, blizzard,lighting teams could all start off with huge random advantages.
Also, could one change the weather or would it be stuck like that?