Whats up with Early Advantage

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu
Whats up with Early Advantage

Post by Vek » March 9th, 2014, 7:40 am

I just don't get how this ability calculates "deals double damage if the user has lower health". Sometimes it just doesn't seem to work when I think it was supposed to apply. Does the health check only apply after the regular damage from the hit has been removed or what?

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: Whats up with Early Advantage

Post by Kpb321 » March 9th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Yup. The second hit for double dmg only happens if you have lower health than the opponent after the first hit hits.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » March 9th, 2014, 4:35 pm

Does the health check only apply after the regular damage from the hit has been removed or what?
Indeed.
I have another problem with this ability. Why does the second hit sometimes do 50% of the intended damage?

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » March 10th, 2014, 3:25 am

Kpb321 wrote:Yup. The second hit for double dmg only happens if you have lower health than the opponent after the first hit hits.
Ok, thats why it didn't make sense in my head. This is a bit of a problem since sadly you really can't put a complete description in the tooltip.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » March 12th, 2014, 9:19 am

Just had a curious thing happen. I had bout 400 health and the opposing Idol had about 500. I used Early Advantage, this was because I was faster and had forgotten to switch to Sleeping Gas. Anyway I used Early Advantage and the Idol used Deflection. The first part of Early Advantaged missed of course, but now since I had lower health the second part hit the Idol through Deflection.

Denarian
Pet Score:2743
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Denarian » March 12th, 2014, 9:44 am

Vek wrote:Just had a curious thing happen. I had bout 400 health and the opposing Idol had about 500. I used Early Advantage, this was because I was faster and had forgotten to switch to Sleeping Gas. Anyway I used Early Advantage and the Idol used Deflection. The first part of Early Advantaged missed of course, but now since I had lower health the second part hit the Idol through Deflection.
Sleeping gas and Early Advantage aren't in the same move slot. Sleeping Gas is in slot 1, while Early Advantage is in slot 3. Did you perhaps use Tail Sweep instead? Not that it really matters, seeing as Deflection should block both hits of each, as far as I understand.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » March 12th, 2014, 10:02 am

Had just gotten the fast breed but forgotten to switch to gas. So tail sweep would only hit once which is why I used early advantage, because it would hurt more even without bonus hit.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » March 12th, 2014, 11:04 am

Doesn't surprise me. A number of multi-hit extra hit abilities are really buggy about the extra hits and avoidance/hit debuffs.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » March 12th, 2014, 11:39 am

Got the same result through Dodge, while it did paltry damage since it hit a critter.

Harpua
Pet Score:4602
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpua » March 12th, 2014, 7:15 pm

There are some odd abilities. That particular one - the tooltip is poorly written. It doesn't give you the impression it's 2 attacks. Just double damage.

I noticed a similar thing with [ability]Comeback[/ability]. If your first hit drops the other pet below you, you don't get the second hit .It's the kind of thing you overlook in PVE. In PVP, the margin for error is much slimmer, so those things stand out.

However, the thing about it hitting against [ability]Dodge[/ability] or [ability]Deflection[/ability] is interesting. Makes me wonder if it could take out both charges of [ability]Decoy[/ability]. There are times when it could be an advantage - especially if your opponent isn't expecting it.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » March 14th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Harpua wrote:Makes me wonder if it could take out both charges of Decoy.
Yes you can! You Poison oponent, Decoy, You Puncture Wound = Decoy gone. :D