Capture Team Strategies

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Terribletim68
Capture Team Strategies

Post by Terribletim68 » March 10th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Has anyone done a "Capture Team Guide"? I know Terrible Turnip is amazing here, but what about the other two slots? Anyone done a guide that outlines best support pets for each zone based on what adds you'll likely see? Or is there an overall best performer here that can cover anything?

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: Capture Team Strategies

Post by Kpb321 » March 10th, 2014, 1:55 pm

It really depends. Generally I find that if I need to use the Turnip then the other two pets on the team probably don't matter. The Turnip is handy when the pets you are trying to capture are lower level and you want to make sure you don't accidentally kill them off. If that is the case any decent lvl 25 pet can probably handle killing off the rest of the team.

For higher level pets I generally like to have a carry pet + two durable pets that are strong against the types of pets I'm likely to fight. One favorite of mine is the Emerald Protodrake as the combo of a shield and a big heal make him almost impossible to kill. He's great in general and especially good against flying pets. Lately I've been using Son of Animus a lot as one of the only mechanical units with a heal that isn't 3 rounds. His stun attack also comes in very handy as he is actually faster than a lot of beasts when you are facing lower level and lower quality beasts. I like a raptor or xufu with feed for critters.

Terribletim68

Post by Terribletim68 » March 10th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Kpb321 wrote:. . . + two durable pets that are strong against the types of pets I'm likely to fight. . .
Yea, that's kind of what I was looking for, some sort of list that outlines what exactly you're likely to fight. It seems like Valley of the Four Winds is loaded with critters, so your team should probably be made up of the Turnip and two beasts. But a breakdown by zone would be helpful for those who are trying to get the Safari achieves. See what I'm getting at? 8-)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » March 10th, 2014, 5:22 pm

I don't see any reason to use the turnip in the valley of the four winds. The pets you are fighting are with in a couple levels of your level 25 pets and it really shouldn't be hard to get them low enough to cage with out killing them. You might not be able to do it with strong attack such as a beast against a critter but swapping a leveling pet or another pet should be able to cover it. I only really use the turnip against things that are 10+ levels below my pets where overkill is easy. I'd much rather have a carry pet and get some exp while trying to capture a rare in the valley of the four winds than use the turnip.

As far as list of what types of secondary pets you are likely to encounter I'm not sure off hand other than that most of the secondary pets are other pets that could also be battled in the same area. Usually, it's pretty obvious after a couple fights what my secondaries can be an I switch as appropriate. In general tho beasts and critters are the most common families for wild pets so most of the time I'm using my emerald whelpling and either my son of Animus for beasts or a raptor or xufu for critters. Occasionally, I'll see lots of aquatic pets and want to use chi-chi.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » March 10th, 2014, 7:36 pm

My capture team is usually something like: Turnip, a turkey (doesn't matter which, I use it for the Food Coma ability) and then either a carry pet or something that isn't a flying or elemental - lately I've been using a bear cub type so it can self heal with Hibernate, and to make quick work of critters. The Turnip you already know how it works, the Turkey is there to use Food Coma so that I can safely switch in the carry pet for the XP, or to prevent the wild pet from killing itself.

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » March 11th, 2014, 3:39 am

Would like to add something possibly important here, based on annoying experience.

In addition to the [pet]terrible turnip[/pet], it's a good idea to have at least one pet that can change the weather.

For example, you're trying to capture a [pet]lava beetle[/pet] and it uses the [ability]scorched earth[/ability] ability, causing it take periodic damage as well. If you can't change the weather to something else, there is a good chance that the beetle could kill itself before your capture works.

Just a thought ...

Post by Guest » March 11th, 2014, 9:09 am

P/P Emerald Proto-Whelp
Emerald Bite
Ancient Blessing
Emerald Dream

Terrible Turnip
Mocking Blow
Group Heal
Sunlight

Random Leveling Pet

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » March 11th, 2014, 10:08 am

I use Emerald Proto P/P as well, with Turnip and carry pet you get to capture and level at the same time.

For high level fights I use Zeppelin instead of Turnip for the Decoy and occasional beast adds because you usually won't accidentally kill a high level (though it can happen... oops crit :o ). But Emerald Proto can solo most high level wild pet battles.

If I'm using a very low level carry pet I use Zepp first to decoy and block the attack on the low level... but once you get to 8-10, most low levels can take a hit.