Pet of the Month - Anubisath Idol

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Pet of the Month - Anubisath Idol

Post by Quintessence » March 5th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Many thanks to [profile]Liopleurodon[/profile] for writing the battling portion of our newest feature, [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/news/anubisath-idol-pet-of-the-month/]Pet of the Month[/url]. Here are some additional points on the [pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet] that she wanted to share!

How Do You Use Your Idol?
Hey all! This is the forum post to accompany the first edition of WarcraftPets Pet Of The Month, all about the Anubisath Idol. The purpose of this post is to go deeper into the strategy of using this pet in both PVE and PVP, and hopefully generate some discussion.

On the PVE side of things, the Idol is really clutch for a lot of different taner fights through Pandaria. Aki is an excellent example. Her first pet's only offense doesn't hit very hard, but it applies a buff which causes all moves in the next 2 turns to hit twice as hard, making for some devastating combos. However, using either [ability]Stoneskin[/ability] or [ability]Sandstorm[/ability] means that first ability doesn't hit, so your Idol doesn't get that dangerous debuff. Sandstorm can also be used to avoid AoE abilities when you try to carry lowbie pets for beaucoup XP. [ability]Quake[/ability] from Wastewalker Shu's elemental pet, or [ability]Tidal Wave[/ability] from the Flowing Pandaren Spirit Tamer can be largely nullified with an Idol in your pocket.

But, even if Aki's first pet does manage to hit you with that debuff, if you're set up for that combo, a quick [ability]Deflection[/ability] will serve to avoid the otherwise massive (upwards of 1K) hit from her second pet's [ability]Call Lightning[/ability]. I also use Deflection on Yu'la during the Celestial Tournament. After she flies up in the air, Deflection that next turn to avoid the hit. Because Deflection always goes first, you don't even have to count out your turns to make sure you get it right.

The PVP side of the Anubisath is a bit more muddy, owing nearly entirely to the ability [ability]Demolish[/ability]. For both PVE and PVP, Demolish was hitting more frequently than indicated on the tooltip. The number [url=https://twitter.com/TheCrafticus/status/436693796177199104]indicated by dev Johnathan LeCraft[/url] was "~65%". This was due to a mechanic to prevent miss streaks. However, in PVP this miss mechanic was so good that Demolish would continue to hit even once the Idol's listed accuracy with that move--or altogether--was zero or lower.

For a while, using this bug to stomp all over the [pet]Death Adder Hatchling[/pet] (which uses a -100% to hit debuff as a cornerstone of its strategy) was all the rage. There was a [url=https://twitter.com/TheCrafticus/status/436699739464007680]fix applied[/url] both this negative accuracy bug and the base accuracy issue. With a bit of playtesting, it seems to be active as of 2/25, though it's somewhat difficult to say with absolute certainty in practice.

Regardless, the Idol makes for either an excellent lead pet or anchor in PVP, because of that forementioned 'you don't have to count as closely' feature of Deflection. AoE teams are seeing a new resurgence in PVP as well, and Sandstorm can really help with that. Whether you choose Demolish or [ability]Crush[/ability] in your first slot, both are relatively big hits which can really help punch through the defense of a turtle team too.

In general, the Anubisath makes for a safe choice for a number of roles within the minigame. Unlike the old idiom though, he's a jack of all trades, but still a master of punching battle pets in their faces.

So, how do you use your Idol?

-[url=http://battlepetroundup.com/]Tamer Liopleurodon[/url]
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Terribletim68

Re: Pet of the Month - Anubisath Idol

Post by Terribletim68 » March 5th, 2014, 4:20 pm

I haven't done any PvP battles yet, so I can't comment on that. But I've been using Crush because I felt like Demolish was missing way too much for me. I can't get away from the typical Sandstorm/Deflection combo in the other slots. So I guess my Idol is pretty straight forward. 8-)

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » March 5th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Excellent write up, with much information for new or old trainers. Keep up the good work!

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » March 5th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Good read, and a great starting pet to write about. I consider it one of the most essential pets for a pet battler to have. Its just that good.

Ariella
Pet Score:538
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Ariella » March 5th, 2014, 7:34 pm

As for the Anubisath Idol, I used to fear him in an enemy team or use him in mine, but as you said recently he has lost part of his awe inspiring qualities… my Unborn Valkirie and the Fossilized Raptor just dispatch him without great efforts…

Anyways, I just wanted to say that this idea of the Pet of the Month is just great! Would be even better if that were a fortnight pet ;)

Keep it up people! Kudos to you!

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » March 6th, 2014, 8:39 am

Demolish was one of the broken abilities that just got recently fixed in the hotfix last Wednesday. So instead of hitting at the broken 72-75% that the community reported via the Pet Accuracy addon, he now is hitting for about 57% (which is still higher than the 50% that Demolish is supposed to be at, but we'll take what we can get.)

He's rampant in the Ruin battlegroup meta, I see him all the time in PvP matchups. For this reason I try not to use him, because he's so overused. For PvE, someone here has made an entire Pandaren Tamer workup for leveling pets with only an Anubisath Idol and Emerald Proto-Whelp. Genius, really.

Envec
Top Rater
Pet Score:3244
Realm:Norgannon-us

Post by Envec » March 6th, 2014, 11:13 am

You forgot to mention in your boss fight mechanics that they are immune to diseases. DKs need to bring a friend.

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Liopleurodon » March 6th, 2014, 11:50 am

Thanks for the kind words, all. I'm being super professional. No twirling around like Maria in the Sound of Music at ALL. But I'm glad you liked it. YAY.

...okay, only that ONE twirl.
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » March 6th, 2014, 12:53 pm

I use it for some of the Pandaria trainers where it works really well, hardly ever use it in PvP since I despise facing it myself. My usual Idol counter would be P/S Blighthawk(273 speed), this guy works rather well but has some trouble with hit rates, especially under sandstorm. My newest favourite counter to the Idol is Mr. Wiggles. Diseased Bite has slightly better hit than what the Blighthawk can offer. You don't have to time Lift-Off to avoid Rupture stun since you got critter racial. And with Crouch up the Idol's Crushes will hit for less than 200, while your Diseased Bites hit for 500. Even if the Idol throws up a Sandstorm, if you got Uncanny Luck you just use that and you won't miss at all, even get bonus to crit for your troubles. Very nice counter.

Post by Guest » March 6th, 2014, 8:39 pm

I use the [pet]Anubisath Idol [/pet]A LOT with my panda trainer dailies, his sandstorm helps me level my babies up. His spell set up is always: [ability]crush[/ability], [ability]sandstorm[/ability], [ability]deflection[/ability]

Courageous Yon
If your baby is level 1 don’t start with him, but mine has usually already leveled up on the Earth Spirit trainer so I put him first to take the first hit off Piqua which doesn’t do a lot of damage. So after first attack put in idol, Piqua will use lift off use deflection and then sandstorm. At this point if you have a level 1 put him in because Piqua will follow with flock for 3 turns, the level 1 won’t take any damage. Take baby back out have Idol finish off Piqua and Lapin, keeping sandstorm up and deflection against burrow. If you forgot to put your baby in when Piqua was alive you have another chance with Bleat, he’ll chew his first move, so leave idol in and hit deflection your 2nd turn to block chew then bring baby in because he’ll follow with stampede. Technically the idol could finish off bleat but Crush is weak against beasts so I usually bring in a Mechanical to finish off.

Aki the Chosen
Once again start with the Idol cast Sandstorm, will negate Chirrup’s swarm, put in your level 1 for one turn, take him out finish off Chirrup with Crush and keep Sandstorm up. On Stormlash I just prefer to use Crush until he’s dead since it’s strong against dragons, I don’t use any other skills. Whiskers is weak against sandstorm so use that, and deflection against dive. A good chance idol will die during this battle so have a flyer (I use a moth) to finish off Whiskers.

Wastewalker Shu
This one you can’t bring a level 1 to, but a low level one around level 10 is fine. Start with the idol, Crusher is weak against sandstorm so use that as often as you can, deflection against whirlpool. Once Crusher dies, the 2nd move Pounder makes is Rupture so you want to have deflection up, I try to time the last whirlpool and rupture to go off at the same time. After a few turns there will be one where Pounder does nothing his next turn will be Rupture again so be ready for that. Once Pounder is dead bring in your baby, the first move Mutilator makes is non-damage after that bring in a Mechanical to finish off the battle.

Burning Pandaren Spirit
So timing involved in this one, again a battle where low level is fine but not a level 1, back row does take some damage.
Start out with idol, crush, then sandstorm (during this move Crimson will Lift-Off but dragon is weak against sandstorm anyway and you want it do negate some of his cyclone damage) then use reflection against Lift-Off, then punch until dead. For the Fire Spirit there is a pattern, you want to deflect if you can, punch, sandstorm, punch x3 … repeat. Sandstorm will negate Immolate damage and reflection stops conflagrate. Once fire spirit is dead, use the idol’s sandstorm/reflection against the first 2 attacks of Glowy then move in the baby during swarm. After that I bring in the Emerald Dragon to finish off Glowy but any pet with a strong attack against flying is fine.

Seeker Zusshi
Another one where a level 1 is difficult (but not impossible) to get through because of back row damage.
Start with the idol, I usually start with deflection to stop Frost Nova and continue doing it every time it is up, otherwise sandstorm when available and punch otherwise. Once he’s dead it’s Mollus’s turn, keep sandstorm up to negate Acidic Goo and deflection against dive. His life drain is strong against the Idol but you make up for it with your self heal and damage. Once he’s dead there are 2 different moves you can do, first one is put the baby in for the first 2 turns of Skimmer’s move, let it be hit with Soothe and then move it out and the idol back in to sandstorm for big damage and deflect the first pump. A good chance he will die on the next pump so have a flyer ready to finish off Skimmer (I use a moth) … the 2nd way is to leave the Idol in, he’ll still have Acidic Goo debuff on, so when Skimmer’s Cleansing Rain is cast it will tick low damage and negate Soothe that he will cast next. Sandstorm and deflect pump and do that until the idol dies but be careful not to kill Skimmer. Let him kill the idol, move in the baby and then back out and have the moth finish him off.

Fythra
Pet Score:12907
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Fythra » March 7th, 2014, 9:07 am

This is a great article, very informative. I love my Anubisath Idol and use it for a number of fights. But I would like to make one small correction. I farm AQ40 regularly.

"It's important to note that to be eligible for loot from both bosses, players need to attack each of the bosses at least once during the fight."

This isn't true anymore. You can concentrate on one Emperor and get loot from both. So classes like warriors or mages don't have to worry about the other Emperor.

Morragan
Pet Score:4237
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Morragan » March 7th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Envec wrote:You forgot to mention in your boss fight mechanics that they are immune to diseases. DKs need to bring a friend.
DK's don't *need* a friend. It just makes it quicker.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » March 9th, 2014, 10:01 am

Excellent article and I enjoyed reading it :) I LOVE my idol ( Prophet ) and I use it daily particularly on my 10 weekly battles. This is a " must have " pet for any collector. In spite of glitches its had at times, " sandstorm and " deflection " w/ this pet will normally get you through most battles. It does awesome damage and holds up well w/ your big hitters. Its well worth the gold on AH and its price has dropped making it more affordable getting this best bang for your buck. This has been one of my " go to " pets against valk for which deflection is necessary when fighting the frustrating valk. This pet is excellent for numerous battles as noted in the many comments so if you don't have one, I highly recommend putting this pet on the top of your list because you won't be disappointed :) Yes, the miss hits can be frustrating at times, but at the end of the battle my idol is usually the last man standing :)

Qissa
Top Rater
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Nazgrel-us

Post by Qissa » March 10th, 2014, 1:19 am

Thanks for this! Just the kind of information I was looking for!

Can't wait till next month! :D

Ieana
Pet Score:1313
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Ieana » March 16th, 2014, 6:33 pm

I love the Anubisath Idol. In addition to using him in some Celestial Pet tournament fights and trainer fights, I use him and a Sunreaver Micro Sentry to power level other pets to level 25 in the "Incursion" area of Krasarang Wilds.

My team is:

Leveling pet.
Anubisath Idol: Demolish, Sandstorm, Rupture
Sunreaver Micro Sentry: Laser, Haywire, Supercharge

The Anubisath's job is to keep Sandstorm up when the leveling pet pops it's head in to protect it, and to kill the Forest Grub that always comes out first. The leveling pet starts, switch immediately to the Idol, Demolish until it hits then Sandstorm. If you get Sticky Goo, which is really annoying... you may be pressing pass a couple times.

Switch in the leveling pet once each opponent, of course. Switch in the Sunreaver to kill pretty much anything else. If it's a flyer, and it liftoffs or cocoons, use supercharge then laser, otherwise just laser it down. Don't forget that laser has a 200% hit chance so Sandstorm doesn't affect it. Anything else? Haywire will crush it.

With this simple setup, and a Lesser Pet Snack from the Beasts of Legend daily (You can get 3 per day.) I can level a pet to 25 in an hour.

Bellatrixia
Pet Score:2255
Realm:Alonsus-eu

Post by Bellatrixia » April 14th, 2015, 7:37 am

Ariella wrote:As for the Anubisath Idol, I used to fear him in an enemy team or use him in mine, but as you said recently he has lost part of his awe inspiring qualities… my Unborn Valkirie and the Fossilized Raptor just dispatch him without great efforts…

Anyways, I just wanted to say that this idea of the Pet of the Month is just great! Would be even better if that were a fortnight pet ;)

Keep it up people! Kudos to you!
I think you mean the Fossilized Hatchling and the Unborn Val'Kyr :P