Can’t repeat Pandaren Spirit Tamer fights

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us
Can’t repeat Pandaren Spirit Tamer fights

Post by Iamwhatis » March 5th, 2014, 12:39 am

Used to be if you didn’t hand in the Pandaren Spirit Tamer quest you could repeat the tamers over and over. I used this to power level pets. Pretty sure I did it this weekend. Now I can’t. Has anyone else had this same experience? Is there a place I can check if this has been changed in one of the patches?

Pyy
Top Rater
Pet Score:11087
Realm:Barthilas-us

Re: Can’t repeat Pandaren Spirit Tamer fights

Post by Pyy » March 5th, 2014, 1:26 am

It was a change in one of the recent patches as far as I'm aware. Can't find the specific one it was in on my phone but I remember seeing it.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » March 5th, 2014, 1:27 am

It was fixed LONG ago... As in several months..

Once you have defeated a trainer, you can't cancel the quest.. Working as intended..

Shawri
Pet Score:3882
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Shawri » March 5th, 2014, 3:13 am

I recently noticed this as well. It was working as little as a week ago as I leveled quite a few pets to 25 repeating Burning Pandaren Spirit, so not sure when this was actually changed. It was awesome while it lasted! :cry:

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » March 5th, 2014, 7:30 am

FuxieDK wrote:It was fixed LONG ago... As in several months..

Once you have defeated a trainer, you can't cancel the quest.. Working as intended..
This is not correct for what the OP is talking about. There was a "bug" that as long as you didn't finish the initial questline that opened the dailies, you could repeatedly kill the spirit tamers. It was fixed in 5.4.7 or a hotfix right after. What you are saying is true for dailies, but this is a specific bug that has been in the game since the spirit tamers were added.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Lixalee
Top Rater
Pet Score:13016
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Lixalee » March 8th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Has anyone found on any info on this? I've searched and don't see a word. I can't tell if fighting him more than once (with the spirit tamers quest incomplete in your log) was a bug that they've now fixed, or if him not fighting NOW is a bug. :/

Nataliana
Pet Score:3447
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Nataliana » March 8th, 2014, 9:21 pm

It was brought to Blizzard's attention a while back, and there was a blue response saying that it would be addressed and fixed at a future date. It was hotfixed one week after the last patch dropped. I used to use the thundering spirit tamer for power leveling. I was quite aware that it was a bug, and not something that was intended to be done. Like someone else said, good while it lasted.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » March 9th, 2014, 6:41 am

Lixalee wrote:Has anyone found on any info on this? I've searched and don't see a word. I can't tell if fighting him more than once (with the spirit tamers quest incomplete in your log) was a bug that they've now fixed, or if him not fighting NOW is a bug. :/
I think you already know the answer to this.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » March 9th, 2014, 7:41 am

Lixalee wrote:Has anyone found on any info on this? I've searched and don't see a word. I can't tell if fighting him more than once (with the spirit tamers quest incomplete in your log) was a bug that they've now fixed, or if him not fighting NOW is a bug. :/
It was a bug. You're exploiting the quest to power lvl pets in the way that the quest wasn't built for. Of course it's a bug.

Lixalee
Top Rater

Post by Lixalee » March 10th, 2014, 9:13 am

Odd. When I opened a ticket on it to see (was it broken before and fixed now, or was it working as intended and is now broken) this was the response I got. GM's can be wrong I know, but if someone can link something official that mentions it it would much appreciated. I went through the patch notes and the hotfix updates back to March 2nd and I don't see it anywhere.
Heya Xxxxxx, Game Master Senkayn here!

To be honest I've not heard of this before. It may simply have become broken with 5.4.7 as I'm not seeing any information on it one way or the other. Since I’m not able to find any current reports or work-arounds regarding this issue, I’ve taken the information you’ve provided to me and submitted a report to our QA and Development teams.

The information you’ve provided will be helpful to both the QA and Development teams and they’ll begin investigating, attempting to re-create, and then fixing this particular issue.
Etc, etc.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 10th, 2014, 12:26 pm

I haven't been able to find any official response on this, but going by how Blizzard treated other dailies that were used in an unintended manner to power level pets, this was most certainly a bug that was recently fixed. I don't see why the Pandaren Spirit Tamers would be an exception to how they've handled previous situations similar to this.

An example of a similar bug was the pet battle daily at the Darkmoon Faire. When it was first released you could keep the quest in your log, defeat the encounter but not turn it in, and Feasel would allow you to battle him repeatedly. This was soon hotfixed and you can no longer battle him multiple times in a single daily lockout. There was no discussion of Blizzard even possibly reverting it back to it's original, repeatable state. The fix was a fix, and the bug was a bug.

The GM you spoke to was probably unaware of this bug, as it kind of flew under the radar. Not to mention that it may not have been a high priority bug, judging how long it took for Blizzard to fix it.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lixalee
Top Rater

Post by Lixalee » March 10th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Quintessence wrote:The GM you spoke to was probably unaware of this bug, as it kind of flew under the radar. Not to mention that it may not have been a high priority bug, judging how long it took for Blizzard to fix it.
Thanks Quin. I think that's what made me so curious about it really. If it was broken what took them sooooooo long to fix it. A year and a half? Yikes.

It is what it is, and I accept that, but there really should be some kind of power leveling mechanic, much like Blizzard has given people a way to play catch up with cooking, mining, herbing and fishing. I spent many hours standing on that hill but I'm nowhere near having leveled all of my pets. When you're looking at 550+ it's just kind of overwhelming to the point of /faceplant. :lol: I'm wondering now why I even started down this road. When they announced pet battles I curled up my lip and said I had no interest in Blizzard's version of Pokemon. I had a small collection though and I couldn't help myself from collecting, but then collecting automatically turns into leveling and ... yeah.

How many fights is it out in the wild now (or via the grand tamer dailies if you can manage) to level a pet from 1-25? Like 12(?) or 18(?) with the safari hat and pet treat xp boost? That means all of the time and travel required to get around, plus several thousand fights? It boggles the mind.

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » March 10th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Your average pet level is 15.4. That's not too bad... over half way there. I was around there at New Years. Doing all the Pandaria dailies just about every day, and I have 14 pets left at lvl 23/24 (I could have done them today, but was focused on other things).

Bonus, while doing those bag-rewarding dailies you have a good chance at getting stones to upgrade those 48 or so pets you have that are uncommon :)

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » March 11th, 2014, 5:36 am

Lixalee wrote:It is what it is, and I accept that, but there really should be some kind of power leveling mechanic, much like Blizzard has given people a way to play catch up with cooking, mining, herbing and fishing. I spent many hours standing on that hill but I'm nowhere near having leveled all of my pets. When you're looking at 550+ it's just kind of overwhelming to the point of /faceplant. :lol: I'm wondering now why I even started down this road. When they announced pet battles I curled up my lip and said I had no interest in Blizzard's version of Pokemon. I had a small collection though and I couldn't help myself from collecting, but then collecting automatically turns into leveling and ... yeah.

How many fights is it out in the wild now (or via the grand tamer dailies if you can manage) to level a pet from 1-25? Like 12(?) or 18(?) with the safari hat and pet treat xp boost? That means all of the time and travel required to get around, plus several thousand fights? It boggles the mind.
In all fairness, the other "secondary" skills that were given paths were all in the game for at least another expansion. Pet battling is all about MoP, and as such, it shows true dedication to get them all leveled/stoned/etc. Just keep plugging away! With a pet treat, you can do all of the bag tamers and one of the BoF (Book 2) within the hour. If you have your teams set up, you'll easily level 2 pets from 1-25 or several from 10-23/24 every day. Good luck!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » March 11th, 2014, 5:52 am

Lixalee wrote:
Quintessence wrote:The GM you spoke to was probably unaware of this bug, as it kind of flew under the radar. Not to mention that it may not have been a high priority bug, judging how long it took for Blizzard to fix it.
Thanks Quin. I think that's what made me so curious about it really. If it was broken what took them sooooooo long to fix it. A year and a half? Yikes.

It is what it is, and I accept that, but there really should be some kind of power leveling mechanic, much like Blizzard has given people a way to play catch up with cooking, mining, herbing and fishing. I spent many hours standing on that hill but I'm nowhere near having leveled all of my pets. When you're looking at 550+ it's just kind of overwhelming to the point of /faceplant. :lol: I'm wondering now why I even started down this road. When they announced pet battles I curled up my lip and said I had no interest in Blizzard's version of Pokemon. I had a small collection though and I couldn't help myself from collecting, but then collecting automatically turns into leveling and ... yeah.

I basically leveled all my pets thru the pet daily tamers, a few a couldn't wait on dailies resetting and did wild pet battles.
To speed up the travel between tamers place Alts at the tamers.
All Alts have safari hats and pet biscuits are account bound so if want to can move them around.
Won't get full hour from pet biscuit in one shot at tamers but does carry over each day till hour played on said toon so can take a few weeks to leave.
Àlso great xp so good way to level Alts almost all tamers are safe for any level toon except one outside karazan.
Just have friend with two seater mount get your Alts to tamers or Mage to get to panda land.
You will be shocked how many levels an alt will get just doing one tamer battle a day.

Lixalee
Top Rater

Post by Lixalee » March 11th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement and support. The pet thing seems overwhelming when scrolling the list endlessly, but yes, I could be worse off I suppose. I'm an altoholic so I certainly have people that I can camp all over the place. I WAS doing that until I had to recall people to get stuff on Timeless done, and then I had suspended doing my farms for a while but got back into that to gather mats. And I do have a pet team addon so I don't have to keep finding and rearranging my team as I go to from fight to fight. With the news that the expansion won't be out until the fall I guess I have time to kill and things maybe aren't as bleak as they appear. I just have to put my head down and gogogo I guess. Thanks again. :)

Terribletim68

Post by Terribletim68 » March 11th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Digem wrote:. . .Àlso great xp so good way to level Alts almost all tamers are safe for any level toon except one outside karazan.
Just have friend with two seater mount get your Alts to tamers or Mage to get to panda land.
You will be shocked how many levels an alt will get just doing one tamer battle a day.
This piqued my interest a bit. I'm not sure how a lowbie would get to the Uldum one, or the Outlands/NR/Pandaria ones either outside of a friendly Mage. Aside from that, is there any decent XP by doing the normal trainers, like the one in Elwynn, Westfall, Redridge, Duskwood? Or are the "Grand Master ones the only ones worth doing for leveling an alt?
Last edited by Guest on March 11th, 2014, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graven

Post by Graven » March 11th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Terribletim68 wrote:This picked my interest a bit.
Sorry, but this is a bit of a peeve of mine. The word is "piqued", not "picked" or "peaked".

Terribletim68

Post by Terribletim68 » March 11th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Graven wrote:Sorry, but this is a bit of a peeve of mine. The word is "piqued", not "picked" or "peaked".
OMG, Orly? ;)

Just for you I edited it. I don't want you having a stroke over it. I'd suggest staying off Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Instagram or anything else remotely close to that if you're that worried about small things like that. :lol:

Graven

Post by Graven » March 11th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Thank you, that is a great comfort. It'll also have the benefit of not making you seem ignorant the next time you use it.

You're welcome.