Help figuring out a team

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Boshea
Pet Score:5423
Realm:Stormrage-us
Help figuring out a team

Post by Boshea » March 4th, 2014, 6:45 pm

So recently got back into WoW, and now that I have a few characters maxed been looking into pet battles as an option for queue time killer. While I have a few pets at maxed level and have been chipping away at the tamer quests I've yet to find a team I really like. My main problem is that I can't seem to figure out good team composition or skill synergies with pets I really like. Most of collection is Pre-Cata world drop stuff along with some new stuff I've managed to pick up. As for pets I really like

Frosty-This is probably my favorite pet of all time, but I can't seem to figure out a good team for her.
Any of the world drop whelps-These were the first pets I really farmed back when they still took inventory space.
Magical Crawdad-Another favorite from BC, and the one who's been getting the most play so far.
Lil' Smoky-I miss that he doesn't make noise anymore
Raiding with leashes pets-Really like the design of most of these, along with the amusement of fighting with mini-raid bosses in some cases.

So any recommendations on a good time I may have in my collection, or just some general catch all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Syphix
Pet Score:4116
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Re: Help figuring out a team

Post by Syphix » March 4th, 2014, 11:57 pm

First of all, welcome back to Azeroth!

I've got a general tip, more aimed towards pet leveling rather then compositions/team synergy, but hey, more max-lvl pets means more compositions to choose from! :D

I highly recommend leveling your [pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet] to 25 - He might be a Humanoid but he's beastly against a bunch of the daily-quest tamers (he can pretty much solo Aki the Chosen, Courageous Yon and the Burning Fire Spirit meaning you'll have a free slot in your team for a leveling-pet!) The XP boost from defeating tamers is quite insane and could drastically increase your average leveling speed :)

For example.. let's look at Aki the Chosen with this team:
[pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet] with the abilities [ability]Crush[/ability], [ability]Deflection[/ability] [ability]Sandstorm[/ability]
your lvl 23 [pet]Gilded Moth[/pet] with [ability]Alpha Strike[/ability], [ability]Cocoon Strike[/ability] and [ability]Moth Dust[/ability]
And a leveling pet of your choice
  • Start with [pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet] and use [ability]Sandstorm[/ability]
  • Switch to your leveling pet of choice - any level will do as [ability]Sandstorm[/ability] will negate all damage from Chirrup's [ability]Swarm[/ability].
  • Switch back to [pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet] and [ability]Crush[/ability] till Chirrup dies.
  • Use [ability]Deflection[/ability] to deflect Stormlash's [ability]Call Lightning[/ability].
  • Change the weather back to [ability]Sandstorm[/ability].
  • Use [ability]Crush[/ability] untill Stormlash dies.
  • Deal as much damage to the final pet, Whiskers (use [ability]Deflection[/ability] when he burrows if possible)
  • If/When [pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet] dies, swap in your [pet]Gilded Moth[/pet] who shouldn't have any issues finishing off Whiskers

I can't post external URL's but a google search "pet battle speed leveling" and it should point you in the right direction ^^

Nefigah
Pet Score:1359
Realm:Grizzly Hills-us

Post by Nefigah » March 5th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Looking at your collection, I'd say you have some fun team options using your favorite pets, with a little help from other pets you have that are close to 25.

One thing you can do is a "delayed burst" combo: the most famous example is Pandaren Water Spirit + Chrominius, but all it really takes is a pet with some "big damage in X rounds" ability, and a pet with "increases damage taken." You can combine your Magical Crawdad's Whirlpool with your Chrominius or your Alpine Foxling with Howl, for example (Chrominius can then Surge of Power on the next round while Howl is still active, if you like).

You like Frosty, and you also have a Kun Lai Runt, whose Deep Freeze ability hits hard and is a guaranteed stun on chilled pets (such as from Blizzard weather). Trainers will almost always swap out a stunned pet, so you can take advantage of this and bring Lil Smokey for Minefield, which will punish swapping and give you a free round to debuff the new pet with Mangle or switch pets yourself. The Runt also has a move that does great damage vs. stunned pets. If you like it, you can look into rooting the enemy pet so it can't switch out (Whirlpool causes this, or you could catch a grub or spider in Krasarang for a faster acting root).

In any case, your Nether Ray can provide backup with its versatile range of damage types and flyer speed bonus.

These things might seem kinda elaborate, but it's stuff like this that attracts me to pet battles. Hope you find something you like!

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » March 6th, 2014, 9:09 am

As you already have a Magical Crawdad, pick up an Anubisath Idol. The two pair extremely well in both PvE and PvP. The third pet can vary, too. I like to use the green world drop whelp, Emerald Whelpling, with mine, although pets with high speed and/or evasion are also good additions to this otherwise slow team.

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » March 6th, 2014, 11:45 am

Frosty is a very strong pet in PVP, not that useful in PVE however.

Because in PVE fight, the computer will for sure do a switch after a stun, and because of the nature of PVE is : all moves by the computer are well known and everything is so predictable, switching doesn't do much good for you.

However its different in PVP, forcing your opponent to think about switch or not is a great advantage.

Also, if you want to utilize the ice tomb, get a zan raptor to use the armor break skill is great, otherwise just team it up with 2 other undead pet which can cover various of attacks such as Lost of Lodearon (COD plus AOE against fly pet), Spirit Crab (shield against dots and delay dmg against elemental or even surge to counter speedy pets), you will have a very strong team.

Boshea
Pet Score:5423
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Boshea » March 14th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Suppose I should chime in. All very useful information and has given me some focus on who I want to currently work towards 25. Looking at Idol, Crawdad, and third for most PvE. PvP is still up to anything, but considering Chrominus, Smokey, and Frosty. Right now trying to pick out some decent mechanical and magical pets because Tommy Newcomer is a dink.