Moonlight and Shields

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Regillixavatar
Pet Score:1735
Realm:Trollbane-us
Moonlight and Shields

Post by Regillixavatar » February 18th, 2014, 11:05 am

Happy Tuesday everyone! I almost always do my pet leveling using my Feline Familiar as the cleanup pet (with Stoneskin and Devour to keep his HP up) and over the last few days and I noticed some odd behavior when my carry pet was able to use Moonfire to cause Moonlight weather.

I know that Moonlight increases healing done by 25% (I can see devour heal for more) and increases the damage of Magic abilities by 10% (Onyx Bite does more damage) but it sometimes looked Stoneskin was absorbing more damage than 85 per hit (even perhaps over 100). I'm going to test this more robustly later today with some pet duels but I was wondering if other people have seen something at all similar or just think I'm cuckoo XP.

I suppose it could be that they are hitting on the low end for the possible damage of the ability but I can't be sure

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Re: Moonlight and Shields

Post by Shikon01 » February 18th, 2014, 11:36 am

I just started leveling this baby ..its a fun pet, but will let you know if I run into any major issues :)

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » February 18th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Does it say increases magic damage or increases magic abilities? If it's the latter, that might be the reason?
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 18th, 2014, 1:16 pm

With ability damage being a range rather than a hard number, it's going to be difficult to tell if you are blocking more or if the ability is simply doing less damage that time.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Regillixavatar

Post by Regillixavatar » February 18th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Dakaf wrote:Does it say increases magic damage or increases magic abilities? If it's the latter, that might be the reason?
The tooltip says Magic Damage so I figured it would work like the Beast Racial does, it boosts damage done (not attack power) so attacks do more damage but Devour heals for the same amount
Jerebear wrote:With ability damage being a range rather than a hard number, it's going to be difficult to tell if you are blocking more or if the ability is simply doing less damage that time.
And this is why I'm definitely going to do some testing in some pet duels to see what is going on. What made me notice was I would fight a Swamp Croaker and his Tongue Lash ability would only hit me for 2-3 damage per hit. Even at the lowest attack power and poorest quality, the tooltip on Tongue Lash states he should be doing 109 damage per hit and the Stoneskin tooltip says it should absorb 85 damage per hit.

Given this I'm not sure that the variation in damage explains the missing 20 damage...on the other hand a 10% buffed shield (just magic ability boost) would absorb 94 damage per hit and a 25% buffed shield (just healing boost) would absorb 106 damage per hit...

Fear not all I will report results back once I am home from work :-)

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 18th, 2014, 5:56 pm

The 109 is just the expected value. There is + and - variance to that. It can be lower than 109 and higher.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206

Post by Poofah » February 18th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Jerebear wrote:The 109 is just the expected value. There is + and - variance to that. It can be lower than 109 and higher.
The variance is +/- 10% for regular hits such as Tongue Lash. DoTs do not have this variance however. So Reg if you were to test this, a DoT would help eliminate that issue: Gorespine's Rip should be high enough for example, something like 132 damage per turn.

Regillixavatar

Post by Regillixavatar » February 18th, 2014, 7:38 pm

So I took Poofah's advice and challenged Gorefiend several times. It cost about 10 bandages to get him to use his bleed enough for me to test it but here are my results below.

1. Shield in Moonlight: Rip does 300 damage, bleed is for 79 damage
2. Shield, Normal Weather: Rip does 300 damage, bleed is for 84 damage
3. Shield, Normal Weather: Rip does 288 damage, bleed is for 81 damage
4. Shield, Normal Weather: Rip does 276 damage, bleed is for 80 damage
5. Shield in Moonlight: Rip does 305 damage, bleed is for 124 damage (critical hit)
6. Shield in Moonlight: Rip does 288 damage, bleed is for 79 damage

The tooltip for Stoneskin says it will absorb 85 damage from each hit. The tooltip for Rip says it does 470 beast damage and bleeds for 168 damage each round. So does this mean there is a variation in the Shield strength then? I only got 3 trials in each but if the shield was stronger I would expect the damage to be quite lower

I would like to get some additional tries (or maybe someone else could try?)

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 18th, 2014, 8:50 pm

There could be, but honestly I don't remember DoT's being non-variant. This is the first time I've heard of that.

EDIT: Just went and tested it, DoT's vary in damage just like other abilities. An 88 damage dot did 86, 88, 84, 87, 88

Poofah
Pet Score:4206

Post by Poofah » February 19th, 2014, 1:39 am

You're right, I tested it as well. But I swear they were invariant when I tested them originally (admittedly this might have been 5.1 or 5.2).

Moonlight is only a 10% buff, so it's really hard to test if there's also an innate 10% variation from the game mechanics. It'll take a lot of data points. It occurred to me that the beast passive is pretty similar to Moonlight since it's %-based, but it's bigger (+25% dmg under 50% health). I got a nether roach to hit my familiar with and without the beast passive up, and with Stoneskin -- it was between 77-85 in both cases, for 5+ hits in each case. The difference should be ~20 if the passive affects Stoneskin, so it seems like it doesn't.

Regillixavatar

Post by Regillixavatar » February 19th, 2014, 10:54 am

Thanks to Poofah and Jerebear for your results! At this point I feel like my question is answered since I did not see a significant enough increase in Shield power to actually be worth making it part of a PvP team (esp when there are so many better uses for moonlight!).

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 19th, 2014, 11:20 am

If you are looking at moonlight teams, remember that creeping fungus (infected squirrel) gets more damage during moonlight.