"Borrowing" Spineclaw Crab then give back?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Dazz
Pet Score:3827
BattleTag®:abbystarlite#1845
Realm:Silver Hand-us
"Borrowing" Spineclaw Crab then give back?

Post by Dazz » February 15th, 2014, 8:59 pm

My husband and I have been farming the Spineclaw Crab together for a long time. Today I stepped away and it dropped for him! Secretly bitter of course because I'm the one who is closer to having my Celestial Tourney team ready to go! Pardon me if this is kind of a dumb suggestion but, I thought of maybe "borrowing" it from him if he cages it and trades it to me, just so I can use him for the Tournament. I would max lvl it for him as part of the deal. Then cage it and give him back. Is this plan possible, are there are any downsides/drawbacks I'm not realizing that may make this not possible? Loss of lvl in the trade/caging or something or is there any kind of limitation of how many times a pet can be traded back and forth? Again sorry if this is an obvious not possible scenario I imagined, but I thought people here would know and could help!

I saw a strat guide suggesting the Spineclaw Crab for Wise Mari, if I'm not able to do the above trade scenario, is there realistically ANY crab or other pet that could remotely come close to subbing for him in that fight?

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Re: "Borrowing" Spineclaw Crab then give back?

Post by Axarien » February 15th, 2014, 9:03 pm

I'm not aware of any issue with doing this. Plus, he knows where you live if you decide not to give it back ;)

Adezero
Pet Score:3572
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Adezero » February 15th, 2014, 9:35 pm

wise mari i just use:

Pandaren Air Spirit: 2, 2, 1
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling: 1, 1, 2
anything magical

the first two pets will take care of him

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Liopleurodon » February 15th, 2014, 9:54 pm

You can trade pets with no loss of level or breed swap or anything like that. This is actually an easy way to knock out your Raiding With Leashes achieves. The main issue with trading like that is the risk of not getting the pet back, and somebody upthread already had the best response there, ha.

For Mari, I use a Gilnean Raven (anything with weather effect + flying damage is a good pick; Sandstorm is an even better move, because the AOE does virtually nothing at all), a Mechanical Dragonling (the Magic is weak vs the Mech, plus this is the only mech atm with a Dragon offense to cut down that Magic pet posthaste... I think I'd err on the side of using a Dragonkin vs a Mech if this isn't an option), and I actually prefer a Mongoose or Otter in the last slot, because you can Dive or Survival (if you're down close to the end) to avoid the burst from Whirlpool (not so much with Dive). Water Skimmers are alright here too, but can be pretty hit or miss, literally... if I can hit with Pump I'm good, but if I see it miss more than once I'm toast. I can see where that specific crab would be a good choice, with the huge dmg from Blood In The Water and the heal for extra staying power, but there's really (really!) no one pet you *mustttt* have in order to finish the Tournament. There are other options and workarounds for everything! Anyone who says something different is trying to sell you something. Probably a Spineclaw Crab.

In closing, PARENTHESEEEEESSSSS~!
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 15th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Yeah, The easiest way to do Wise Mari is pretty much any pet with sandstorm and a Mechanical Pandaran Dragonling. I use the two of them to carry a third pet for exp on the fight.

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » February 16th, 2014, 12:32 am

Blech. I suppose it could actually be used as a cheat to get your 75 lvl 25 pets if your bomb-diggity pet dropped a level or two every time you caged it. Other than that level 23 Idol dinging 25 a couple times a day, I kinda like the idea of caging a pet dropping level(s) like stoning them.

But no, feel free to swap that Spineclaw Crab back and forth between your husband and yourself like a cheap Tijuana... [something with crabs].

Actually, that crab is on my short list (down to 6!) of in-game pets I'm missing. But the only strat I've seen with the Spineclaw includes Chi-chi, so clearly there are alternate strats.

I use a p/s Amber Moth (almost any moth will do) 1,1,1, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling 1,1,2, and Legs 2,2,2. I very rarely need more than one or two rounds with Legs, if any, but I love having a b/b in there just to spite the purist in me.

Best of luck! And remember, like a cheap Tijuana crabcake, sharing battle pets can either solidify or destroy a marriage, so tread carefully ;)

Memnochlv
Pet Score:3533
Realm:Black Dragonflight-us

Post by Memnochlv » February 16th, 2014, 3:16 am

I loaned my honey my [pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet] several times (daily back and forth) For a few weeks while she was trying to level up pets so she could do the Grand Master Dailies on her own. Aside from it futzing with my battle pet team addon, all was well.

As for Wise Mari... A [pet]Gilnean Raven[/pet] or [pet]Crow[/pet], an [pet]Onyxian Whelpling[/pet] or [pet]Spawn of Onyxia[/pet], and a [pet]Sea Pony[/pet] (or your top rated elemenntal assassin, such as a [pet]Purple Puffer[/pet] will destroy Not-So-Wise Mari...

Strategy is easy enough to figure out, Call Darkness + Nocturnal Strike - Alpha Strike until CDs are up, wash rinse repeat until the bird dies (should be on the second pet you fight, though with pimp RNG you may make it to the third).

Next whip out your Whelpling and Tail Sweep and Healing Flame until the second guy uses his Soul Ward (negates attacks so don't use high damage abilities when it's up), then you can use Deep Breath.

The whelpling stands a good chance of finishing the fight First round Tail Whip, next heal (free round because he'll dive and you want to survive the dive and whirlpool). After the heal charge Deep Breath, then let er rip! Spam tail sweep while he Pumps away at you. If you fail to finish it with the whelp, fear not, the pony (or w/e equivalent you came up with, such as a strider or crab of some kind) will finish him off with major surge spammage!

GL!

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » February 17th, 2014, 5:20 am

Arcana wrote:I'm not aware of any issue with doing this. Plus, he knows where you live if you decide not to give it back ;)
The only issue, I can think of, is both parts need to have additional 25s, in order to be able to "learn" the pet, after transfer..

But if the pet is to be used for CT, then that will hardly be an issue...

Post by Guest » February 17th, 2014, 9:39 am

Dazz wrote: I would max lvl it for him as part of the deal.
He will need to have at least 1 level 25 pet in order to re-learn it. If his highest level pet is 24, he will get an error when trying to learn a level 25 pet.

Apart from that, there is no issue.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » February 17th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Dazz wrote:I saw a strat guide suggesting the Spineclaw Crab for Wise Mari, if I'm not able to do the above trade scenario, is there realistically ANY crab or other pet that could remotely come close to subbing for him in that fight?
Any crab will work. The talents that are generally used with Mari are Surge, Mist, and Whirl Pool, and almost all the crabs have that. I use a magical crawdad myself.