Your favorite pvp pet and why!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Souppi
Pet Score:1928
BattleTag®:Kittenmitten#1895
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us
Your favorite pvp pet and why!

Post by Souppi » February 10th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Hello there! I'm new to the site, well the forum site and I decided to take a deep breath and get over my nerves and post something!
I know this is probably overdone, but I am mostly curious about this, perhaps it could serve to help not only me but others to get a new worldly view of pets.

My top three favorite are:

[pet]Darkmoon Crow[/pet]: love that [ability]darkness [/ability]and[ability] nocturnal strike[/ability], great for changing the weather in your favor.
[pet]Kovok[/pet]: The ability [ability]Poison Fang[/ability] combine with [ability]Puncture Wound[/ability] is nice, and the healing move is great, short cooldown and allows me to heal Kovok to over half when he is under when needed.

Lastly
[pet]Gooey Sha-ling[/pet]: [ability]Darkness[/ability] is always amazing especially with an elemental pet, also [ability]Seethe[/ability] the third tier ability is not bad either. [pet]Death and Decay[/pet] Sha-ling is not a hard hitter but it seems to get the job done.

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Re: Your favorite pvp pet and why!

Post by Tuatha » February 11th, 2014, 12:51 am

Hey Souppi, welcome to the fray.

There are a few posts like this some pages back, so if you don't get the multitudes of responses, do a search to pad the numbers. But those are old, and might not take into account nerfs or 5.4 pets, depending how far back you go, so it's always a worthwhile exercise to revisit.

For me there's a difference between favorite and most effective. But everyone knows Unborn Valk and Death Adder Hatchling are amongst the most effective, right along side the Emperor Crab and Crow (perfect counters to the other two), so I'll give you a few personal favs that lack the uber crushing pvp dominance.

Pengu. It's an under-utilized cute little penguin that destroys mechanicals and undead alike. That -20% to hit is helpful as well. And it's a freaking penguin. How awesome is that?

I've also recently been revisiting the joys of the Corefire Imp. Love healing in the back ranks with Immolation going and knocking out a huge heal after getting tagged by a high cd ability with cauterize. Sure, it's a poor man's Fiendish Imp, but with a big heal.

And yeah, that avatar is a Molten Hatchling. The s/s variety. He ends up being a staller too often, but I like the fact that such a fragile spider is so hard to kill.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » February 12th, 2014, 3:39 am

One of my all-time favourites is the 305 speed Scalded Basilisk Hatchling. Good multi-attack(especially when beast racial is active), a stun and a dodge/free switch move. Whats not to like. Sadly it is seeing less and less play, seems there are more faster pets in use after 5.4 in my petbattlepool, and it really needs to be faster than the opponent to be of any real use.

After 5.4 I am using 325 speed Leopard Tree Frog more and more. Hits undead(read Val'kyr) hard, got a heal and after a couple of hits Frog Kiss really starts to hurt(especially elementals). And there is always that 25% "stun" from Frog Kiss that can come into play, just don't make your strategy after it, count it more as a bonus and make the best of it.

Another pet I'm playing around with a lot at the moment is the De-Weaponized Mechanical Companion. 325 speed and with Extra Plating this is a very durable little guy. Does rely a bit on Demolish hitting, but with 50% damage reduction you can take a few rounds of misses.

Just this week I dusted off my Vengeful Porcupette and it has really shined for me. Crowning moment was when it was up against a Nexus Whelpling. Whelpling cast Arcane Storm, Porcupette Powerballed to be faster. Porcupette then used Spirit Spikes and the Whelpling just killed itself with Mana Surge. It also completely soloed a Lil' Bling.

I usually try and mix in less used pets and it's a fun learning experience.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » February 12th, 2014, 4:56 pm

I LOVE my fiendish imp ( Tobby ), just got through taking out 2 teams w/o using my other 2 pets :) which I usually combine w/ my anubisath Idol ( Prophet ) because it packs a punch w/ shield and sandstorm its an overall durable pet that continues to be a pet lover favorite regardless of what pet is the new fad. I use these 2 w/ a mechanical most of the time. I like Lil Bling because "coins" does good damage against most other pets and gift grants me a big hit or big heal when I need it most. I can usually win 8 out of 10 battles w/ this team.
I agree that Pengu is under used. I wasn't surprised at the damage it could do to mechanicals, but when I started using it more I was pleasantly surprised how it would tear up the undead. The wisp was a nice surprise as well handling aqua pets. Took out the 3 crocks in shatt w/ o taking much damage. Crabs in general are great pets particularly w/ the self heals and I'm seeing a lot of aqua pets and lots of frogs for some reason...what's up w/ that? I don't have a vengeful porcupette yet,but its on my wish list. One of my new favorite little pets is the civet family. I love the damage " dive " does to just about any pet and is on my Major Payne team. I usually focus on building an overall balanced team for my weekly 10 battles, but once that's out of the way I love to experiment w/ oddball, wacky combos for kicks "n giggles just to see how they do as I make more teams

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11384
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » February 12th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Thoroughly enjoy these threads. I'm still on collecting/leveling to 25 mode (I want a huge pool to play with), so haven't tried the PvP side, but do love picking up pointers for future reference!

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 12th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Frogs are pretty much there to counter Valks and Elementals. All of a Valk's attacks deal less dmg because they are weak against aquatic. The Aquatic racial further reduces the Haunt dmg and they have a critter attack that will be strong against the valk. Add a heal and a aquatic attack that is strong against elementals and it's going to be pretty strong against a lot of teams you see commonly right.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » February 12th, 2014, 5:29 pm

I just have one valk at this time, haven't been successful in farming another one so far and I sure am tired of fighting them every time I que up. This week some guy used 3 for his team. I was able to drag out the battle, but he slowly beat me like an unwanted step- child lol !! If I see him active I will go all frog on him :)

Regillixavatar
Pet Score:1735
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Regillixavatar » February 13th, 2014, 10:50 am

The Spirit Crab is my absolute favorite! It is a perfect counter to many of the pesky FOTM pets you see (shield and high hp pool good for dealing with Val'kyr, surge and shield make Death Adder Hatchlings a joke, surge neuters pesky alpha strike dmg from crows) not to mention it is an undead pet that weighs in with a hefty 1900 HP. The only thing he can't do is a super-healing tank pet like the Crawdad or sunflower and you have surge instead whirlpool

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » February 13th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Shikon01 wrote:Crabs in general are great pets particularly w/ the self heals and I'm seeing a lot of aqua pets and lots of frogs for some reason...what's up w/ that?
The main reason is that there is a bloody Valk on 3/4ths of the teams that you queue into.

As to my fave pet, atm it would have to be the [pet]Emperor Crab[/pet] because of the sentence above. Not only is it strong against Valks, but a ton of other things as well (I made a brief list in another post of mine). The crab can even single handedly beat an entire team. For instance, last night my Crab running with [ability]Surge[/ability], [ability]Shell Shield[/ability], and [ability]Heal[/ability] took out everyone's fave healing team the Sunflower, Blossoming Ancient, and Ruby Droplet by himself. Technically, I think the match could be stale-mated indefinitely, but after a TON of rounds and us both stalling (when the [ability]Photosynthesis[/ability] with an immediate switch to the backline starts taking place, I just reapply SS every round and Heal on cd...I can stall too!), the other player eschewed healing and tried going for the kill which gave me my openings. Matches like this take a long time, but it is immensely satisfying winning them and are yet another feather in this pet's cap.

If the Valk-spam were to ever calm down, my fave pet would likely change to my Blue Clockwork Rocketbot. He is very versatile.

Se5s
Pet Score:3144
BattleTag®:sess#1102
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Se5s » February 14th, 2014, 11:06 pm

my all time favorite is Xufu. he's a monster on so many levels. he does great on healer/stall teams, sunflower and crawdad, because of his prowl > feed combo. if u want a powerhouse one shot that PoS crow, prowl > moonfire. after that, his main attack with no cd hits for 500+ and always lands...ALWAYS (looking at you death adder ;) ) on top of all that, he's a big, gorgeous, freakin' BLUE tiger...who DOESN'T want a blue tiger? :shock:

Anubisath Idol is a very powerful pet, for both pvp and pve as he can give u free pet swaps on a lot of the npc tamers for lowbie pet leveling. he also looks pretty neat and has just a ton of variety for his moves. the humanoid self heal, broken mechanical damage, flying damage/mitigation, elemental damage/maybe stun...it's just not fair sometimes lol

one of my oldest pets, and probably my most summoned pet is Lil' Ragnaros. he's ridiculous in pvp battles, not so great in pve. he has a very consistent random combo that seems to really foil anything but a critter. when that trap goes off and u "hulk SMASH" their face...it almost makes me feel bad lol almost :roll:

and of course those being my current favorite pets, they are my main pvp team right now. they have no real synergy but they are all highly consistent power hitters and few teams can stand up to them, even valk/adder, they can't be heal stalled, and even when u completely counter the whole team you'll probably only barely beat them. in fact, the only thing that seems to really beat them is that RNG love ;)

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » February 16th, 2014, 8:34 pm

1. Crystal Spider
I really loved the playstyle of this pet. It provides very high burst and control. It has as drawback that it has to be swapped in and that it is fairly useless after it's combo. You can lock an enemy with webs and you can counter some teams/pets with Brittle Webbing. Both webs are viable.
It's an unforgiving pet. If you play it right you will do great, if you don't it will be very difficult to recover. It's a great offensive stall pet!
I do no play it in strong teams at the moment, but it was my strongest pet in the 5.2 meta when I used it correctly. It was a core member of my first team with a 95% winratio. I have grown attached to it.

2. Father Winter's Helper.
It was my second pet when I started World of Warcraft. I really like how it looks, it is so green! I also like how it behaves. I am actually rooting for this pet to win (which I normally don't do). Winning with this pet can create a smile on my face. I really like Christmas pets in general.
It's a decently strong pet. It has Ice Tomb and a Weather effect. There are a lot of pets that have synergy with Father's Little Helper. I play Father's Little Helper a lot these days.

3. Depends

Runawayjim
Pet Score:3324
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Runawayjim » February 17th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Right now I'm enjoying my Jademist dancer. It has great synergy with my blighthawk. Getting cyclone to do 1500 damage is brutal. Plus most people don't have a clue what this teams strategy is going to be makes it more fun when they leave after i've gone through two rounds and there backline pets are dead.

My fiendish imp with the speed variety got me into pvp battles so I always enjoy gating immolation and then sending him to the back to heal.