Triple Crows Counter?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Adezero
Pet Score:3572
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us
Triple Crows Counter?

Post by Adezero » February 6th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Lately i've been seeing a bunch of triple crow teams that are very annoying. My current team can beat it 50/50. Sometimes I do a revenge team if I know the triple crow guy is queueing, currently i'm using:

Warpstalker Hatchling P/S (2,1,2)
Moon Moon (1,2,1)
Nether Faerie Dragon S/S (2,2,1)

Even with this revenge team, it's still frustrating to kill triple crows. Is there a better counter team for this PITA team?

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Re: Triple Crows Counter?

Post by Vek » February 6th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Ghostly Skull is nice. First turn Crow cast Darkness and you do a 90% hit Spectral Strike, then the crow is going downhill after that. With 1800 health and undead racial you should easily make a huge dent in at least two of them. Also the Skull is not totally wasted if you run into another team.

Another fun thing you can do is have a weather changer up first. Crow will probably be faster than you and cast Darkness, but you switch weather immediately and reduce their priority attack to 50% hit. I like Azure Crane Chick, because you do healing rain and then even if you lose your racial you can still surge(buffed by 25% in the rain) to go first and stop them from getting extra damage if they have chosen Alpha Strike. Problem though is that the Chick will only take out one Crow, and probably your opponent will get wise for next match.

Tiny Snowman can also be very good vs this team. Change weather with Call Blizzard and then stun with Deep Freeze and easy kill with the strong attack of the Magic Hat. Also since he is Elemental he does not get blinded and they won't get always hit buff. This is pretty much the anti-crow guy.

One huge weakness of the Crows is that they don't have any avoidance at all, they are therefore easy to stun. Try to use this to your advantage. You can safely use delayed attacks because they can't avoid them, only thing is you probably have -10% to hit so there is always that.

Nexus Whelpling, though he will get hit by strong attack from Call Darkness. But you can change weather with Arcane Storm and then just blast away with Mana Surge, this will hurt a lot.

Enchanted Broom will also punish birds, but probably won't be much use after one is down. Clean-Up hits for half their health. But on the other hand most Magic pets will hurt birds good. Another cute one is Rascal Bot, Phaser is strong vs birds and don't be afraid to blind them even more.

Adezero

Post by Adezero » February 6th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Good suggestions, just one thing about the weather. If my opponent notices I have a weather changer he will not use call darkness on his first turn. He is waiting for me to change the weather and since he's faster (bird racial) he can change it to night immediately.

Same thing with the ghostly skull, my opponent would most likely not use call darkness on the first turn. It turns into a match of rank 1 abilities and he has the advantage with superior speed. Snowman might work good though.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » February 6th, 2014, 6:59 pm

If he doesn't change the weather use the Nexus Whelpling, Crows attacks outside Call Darkness are weak against it. Also I think Ghostly skull would win out against a crow in spamming of no 1, due to high health and undead racial.

Restless Shadeling is pretty nice too, it has dodge and a strong vs fliers attack.

Feline Familiar can also really hurt birds.

Otherwise just don't fall into the trap of picking strong/weak stuff. Just grab a Clockwork Gnome, build a turret, bring in a fast raptor, do black claw and chew away. Birds go down fast, especially after they lose their racial.

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Ligre » February 6th, 2014, 7:08 pm

The anti-Crow team that worked for me, is actually a version of Clone Dancer that I can use vs. almost everything except Valk cheese.

Pandaren Air Spirit (Wild Winds, Whirlwind, Cyclone)

Jademist Dancer (Steam Vent, Rain Dance, Acid Rain)

Ominous Flame (Spiritfire Bolt, Scorched Earth, Conflagrate)

This one'll send those dirty birds home cryin' to mommy dirty bird...even if a Nocturnal Strike or two happens to land for them. :D

Adezero

Post by Adezero » February 6th, 2014, 7:23 pm

Vek wrote:If he doesn't change the weather use the Nexus Whelpling, Crows attacks outside Call Darkness are weak against it.
I havent had much luck using a dragon vs crows. most likely this will happen, crow will alpha strike first turn, you use arcane winds, crow uses call darkness, then nocturnal strike, you're dead. I guess you could start with mana surge and hope it kills him.

Anyway, the conclusion I think i've gotten is the best pets are elementals, they are immune to night's blind. You wouldn't even have to change the weather and leave the crows with their own darkness accuracy debuff.

Good ones might be: Tiny Snowman, Ominous Flame with nimbus, Droplet of Y'shaarj

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » February 7th, 2014, 3:25 am

Don't change the weather then, since Alpha Strike is weak against the Dragon you should come out on top easily. After you get him below 50% he should pretty much be dead next turn since he can't avoid the dragon racial.

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » February 7th, 2014, 4:58 am

When I run into a triple crow setup repeatedly, I switch to my anti-flyer team:

Kirin Tor Familiar (Arcane Blast/Arcane Storm/Arcane Explosion)
Arcane Eye (Psychic Blast/Drain Power/Mana Surge)
and either Mini Mindslayer (Mana Surge/Inner Vision/Life Exchange) or Nexus Whelpling (Frost Breath/Mana Surge/Arcane Strom)

I normally open with the Familiar, then Arcane Storm to cancel out CD (normally 1st turn until they catch on). Then I start with the Arcane Explosion Spam. If luck is with me, I can basically get the whole crow team to around 50%ish health before the Familiar goes down. At the very least, they are all one hit away from losing their racial, and once that is gone, crow teams are not really too bad. Then the Whelpling is up. Arcane Storm to cancel the CD again, then Mana Surge and watch the feathers fly. With Arcane Storm up, MS hits birds like a truck. Arcane Eye hits even harder with Drain Power/MS, but he dies very fast so I normally save him for last as more of a back-up. I suppose you could also use Chrominus in there with Howl/Arcane Explosion for some more chuckles.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » February 7th, 2014, 7:40 am

Another thing to try is using a Maggot. You will get hit with Call Darkness, weak vs beast, and you do sticky goo on them. Then next turn you switch to your Nether Faerie Dragon and kill the poor bird. It will only have weak attacks against you and you will probably kill it Before it can do a second Nocturnal or Sticky Goo runs out.

Just throwing up some ideas here, I don't have all the answers. :o

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » February 7th, 2014, 10:11 am

Great input because I'm having the same issue and everyone has gone raven mad lately and its kicking my butt too.

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » February 7th, 2014, 10:36 am

One of the most effective way to counter the raven team is by using undead team, and use all H/H undead.

A H/H undead pet can totally ignore your opponent's speed and this will cut their efficiency into half.

Lost of Lordaeron is one of the best undead pets to counter any raven team.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » February 7th, 2014, 10:56 am

I guess I just didn't know the right team to address this combo. I have dealt w/ the 3 direhorns, sunflowers, fire, water undead teams etc but when I see these teams its been all I can do not to throw the monitor against the wall lol !! I haven't had a chance to finish leveling my ravens and crows though I was planning on trying to finish this weekend if for no other reason than to give them a does of their own medicine. I have been trying to do some leveling at off hours so I can do it in peace or at least find an area that;s not highly gank infested :)

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » February 7th, 2014, 2:46 pm

AoE teams with a fast finisher work fairly well. It seems like most people using multiple crows don't have multiple S/S so if you can back row them with bonestorm or something of that nature below 50% then finish them off with a faster pet you'll win most of the time.

Jabart
MVP
Pet Score:1878
BattleTag®:jonyeh420#1172
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Jabart » February 8th, 2014, 10:26 am

Triple Ominous Flame works, while also holding its own against the rest of the field.
Squee and Jabart on Madoran (H)
battletag: jonyeh420#1172

Monori
Pet Score:5477
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Monori » February 8th, 2014, 11:43 am

I have been using a Triple S/S Bonkers team and its very strong against just about anything i've come across so far including 3x Raven/Crow team and teams with a Unborn Val'kir. The only thing that might cause an issue is if the Ravens or Crows are all S/S breed. The reason the Bonkers team is so effective is they have the 2 round dodge, plus a big hitter with a 25% chance to stun. I've only run into a few teams that beat me and they were all close matches. I know getting 3 S/S Bonkers can be a task in itself, but so far its well worth it! Hope this helps :)

Adezero

Post by Adezero » February 8th, 2014, 4:18 pm

That Lost of Lordaeron worked really good, thanks

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » February 11th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Val'Kyr (H/H), Scaled Basilisk Hatchling (not ideal, but it generally wasn't needed), Ruby Droplet (H/H)

I would use Haunt. This would be followed up with Ruby Droplet. If his strike hit I would use Big Heal -> Shield -> Heal. I would repeat this until 2 Crows are dead. On the third one I would use CoD and would let Val'Kyr die.
I could recommend replacing Scaled Basilisk Hatchling. I would use it to stall. I would let it eat a Call Darkness by swapping it in. This would be followed up by Feign Death to eat the Crows cool downs. I would also let it kill any Crow that was slower once it was <50% health. I used the Scaled Basilisk Hatchling as tank to wait until cool downs were up/haunt runs out.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » February 12th, 2014, 10:52 am

Okay, laugh at me if you wish, but I'm not getting triple crow teams. I'm getting double crows with a third pet that's always used first. It's not always the same but this person runs with Jademist dancer. I've tried teams that all have weather changers and this two crow plus a third kicks my ass each time. The first pet is always thrown in to beat my pets down a bit and then you get the damn crows. It's so annoying and it kills me every time. Dx

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » February 12th, 2014, 11:37 am

The crowing is only going to get a lot worser once the Dread Hatchling arrives.

The [pet]Kirin Tor Familiar[/pet] should be a strong counter to Crows. Elemental and thusly amputating the reliability of Nocturnal Strike, while having a wide range of magic attacks.

Adezero

Post by Adezero » February 12th, 2014, 12:11 pm

changing the weather doesn't work cause the crows are faster than you. Try either some elemental pets that wont be affected by the night or some good aoe pets.