OMG i suck at pvp pet battles HELP!!!!!!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Mena1516
Pet Score:4394
Realm:Alexstrasza-us
OMG i suck at pvp pet battles HELP!!!!!!

Post by Mena1516 » February 3rd, 2014, 4:35 pm

OK i know this has been written about over 100 times, but seriously i need help .Im pretty decent at the tournament and all the Tamers but i cant get the pvp stuff. If anyone has any suggestions, or anything would be appreciated .

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Re: OMG i suck at pvp pet battles HELP!!!!!!

Post by Skavenged » February 3rd, 2014, 6:03 pm

The best way to learn pet PVP is to just go in, take your beating, and then use the exact pets and move set used by the person that beat you. When that gets beat, swap to what that person was using. You'll win some and lose some, but more importantly, you'll get some idea of why certain combos work and over time you'll start to figure out your own combos. Trust me, it works :)

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » February 3rd, 2014, 6:34 pm

What exactly is giving you difficulty in pet PvP? It is difficult to give definitive answers without a better description of the problem. You have a very good stable of PvP pets, so you can build some strong teams. There is a very steep learning curve going from the AI controlled tamers to thinking opponents, so be prepared for some real strategy :)

Some small tidbits:
Switches can make set-ups hard. For example, very few players will let you do something like Howl->SoP. Unless they have some sort of Dodge/Deflection mechanic, they will simply switch a new pet in that doesn't have the Howl debuff. This goes for many types of setups.

You will be facing the same comps a LOT, so begin memorizing the more common patterns and not blowing big CD's if you suspect there is a counter waiting to be used. For example, Trying to gate a DAH on the very first turn as soon as he comes out will likely get you blinded, therefor wasting the long CD on NG.

Save defensive mechanics for obvious setups. For example, a Crow/Raven uses Call Darkness and you are on something with Deflection/Evasion. Use the Deflection on the next round as 99% of the time the crow users will go for Nocturnal Strike. Good players will juke this, but mediocre players smell blood and just go for it.

Make good use of weather switches. Using the crow example from above, a lot of times, players will lead off with the crow/raven for CD/NS. If you have something to change the weather, bring him out first. Because of the Flyer racial, the other player will likely go first. Once again, a smart player will put off CD for 1 turn to see if you are going to switch the weather on him, but usually the crow will lead of with CD, so you can switch the weather right after he does which will negate the advantage of CD for it's heavy-hitter NS.

Learn to disrupt the other player's game-plan. Well timed stuns, gates, dodges, etc. can wreak havoc on the other player, so don't just use them willy-nilly. For instance, when a Kun-Lai Runt user hits you with Frost Shock, you can almost guarantee that he is setting up a Deep Freeze, which results in massive dmg. Either swap your pet, gate, defensive ability, something. Try not to eat that massive hit.

Memorize the racials. Very important knowledge to have. Knowing how the Undead racial works (1 free hit or 2 depending on speed rating) will serve you well, and knowing to do important stuff like swapping in aquatics to soak DoTs, Undead dmg and the like is really key. Also can avoid making one look very silly. I love being on a rabbit and watching someone trying to stun/crystal prison me....

Some players completely rely on broken mechanics and are terrible when they don't work right. For instance, I used to run into a Murk player who used Righteous Inspiration switched into a Bonestorm on his frist turn every single time. After I got him in the queue twice in a row, I switched in a Pandaren Earth Spirit and simply Crystal Prisoned on my first turn, which completely shuts down this setup. When the cd on RI was 1 round from being up, I would rotate the Spirit back in and wait for Murk to come out and try again. I beat him every time I ran into him after that. My point is, some people are just bad pvp's with really good/broken pets, so it can be worth it to stick around for what looks like a hopeless fight, or if you keep running into the same player, to adjust your group to counter him. The other side of this coin are good players with good/broken pets. These types of players require very specific counters and strong tactics (along with a little luck) to have a prayer against.

There are tons of other things, but I will let other posters offer their insights :). GL!!!

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 3rd, 2014, 6:45 pm

For a good recent thread check out

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9215

I think the biggest thing to remember for PVP is that you need to reset your expectations. It isn't PvE where you can build a good team and expect a near 100% success rate. You've got two people playing and someone has to win and someone has to loose so the overall win/loss for everyone participating has to be 50/50 (ignoring the minor chance for a tie due to the undead racial or dots/delayed dmg). So if you are just starting out and using a random team you picked out from a thread like the one above or a random team you put together you should expect to win less than 50% of the time. Your first goal should be to understand why you are loosing and start working on getting close to that 50% mark but ultimately even a great team played perfectly won't win 100% of the time as every team has a counter that they aren't going to be able to deal with well it's just a matter of how often you run into it.

As Genome said a really good player with really good pets can be hard to beat, especially when they have flexible pets and strategies, but even they have counters. It just requires good pets and good play to execute.

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » February 4th, 2014, 7:17 am

Play with different pets to learn their abilities. Do low level pet battles if you don't have them at max. Try out a few different options; Maybe the shielding option works better for you than the heal. Who knows you will find a super combo that no-one thougt about.
If you memorized the abilities, you know what you're up against when you're facing them in the PvP battle and can act accordingly.
As others said, try to predict what your opponent will do. If you know what he/she will do, you won half the battle.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » February 4th, 2014, 2:03 pm

*hug* OMG! I suck too! XD But it's starting to get fun. Your opponent can't see who you are, thus it's like fighting against a smart computer program. If you feel icky or like a fool (like I do), then it isn't quite so bad. They can't dance over your dead body and tell you have much you suck. They can't talk to you at all, I think.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » February 4th, 2014, 5:59 pm

its actuall quite easy,
- get a valkyr,
- get a deather adder s/s bread with 341 speed
- and a dmf or springtail rabbit with spead >350 OR a fossile hatchling

-> that will settle you to win every match if you read up on wowhead and here how to play them
and make u nearly unbeatable
Last edited by Drudatz on February 4th, 2014, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Liopleurodon » February 4th, 2014, 6:07 pm

You don't suck. You're just inexperienced, and coming up against people who have been doing this for over a year. Cut yourselves some slack!

The best thing you can do to start winning, like somebody else said, is to just start queuing up. You'll learn what your opponents do, how they stack debuffs and use weather, and you'll start to form your own strategies. The plus side too, is that you'll learn how to think on your feet in this context, and you'll get even better at the PVE game. I'd recommend looking in the new 'Battle With That Pet' thread ( http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9315 ), because the people participating have been doing a really good job of, instead of just saying 'I had this pet. I won X times.' they go into detail about their teams, what worked & what didn't. Though the teams discussed are a bit off the wall, it's a good exercise to examine.

And one last thing: Have fun. THIS STEP IS MANDATORY. CONFORM OR ELSE. :evil:
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » February 4th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Liopleurodon wrote:And one last thing: Have fun. THIS STEP IS MANDATORY. CONFORM OR ELSE. :evil:
Nope if you wanna have fun DONT do pvp pet battles. :twisted:

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » February 4th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Drudatz wrote:its actuall quite easy,
- get a valkyr,
- get a deather adder s/s bread with 341 speed
- and a dmf or springtail rabbit with spead >350 OR a fossile hatchling

-> that will settle you to win every match if you read up on wowhead and here how to play them
and make u nearly unbeatable
Very true but aren't we over-saturated with Valk/DAH/Whatever teams as it is :)

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » February 5th, 2014, 7:59 am

For me, it was putting together an overall well rounded team since I didn't know what I would be going up against. I got a good mechanical ( lil bling ) which as some heals and under rated by many and can take some hits and I also love the DM pets you can get trading in your tickets. Also a good aqua pet, crabs have some nice heals even if you don't have the magical crawdad and I love the crocks like toothy that you can get through fishing dailies. I always have a nice fire elemental pet on my team as well, but if you get a chance to pick one up on AH an idol as that humanoid does some major damage.