What is the best Unborn Valk breed?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Eradicatelol
Pet Score:1854
Realm:Shadowmoon-us
What is the best Unborn Valk breed?

Post by Eradicatelol » January 28th, 2014, 10:55 pm

I was just curious.. I found a B/B breed that's rare and leveled it to 25.. Did I waste my time or is there a better breed for them? And why?

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Re: What is the best Unborn Valk breed?

Post by Tuatha » January 28th, 2014, 11:03 pm

Since 5.4, b/b is better for pvp, because it's faster. When it comes to Valk vs Valk, you want the other guy to have a h/h Valk.

For pve, it doesn't really matter.

Jabart
MVP
Pet Score:1878
BattleTag®:jonyeh420#1172
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Jabart » January 29th, 2014, 11:43 am

The b/b has an advantage over the h/h when they meet face-to-face, but it's not a game-breaker as long as the h/h owner isn't stupid enough to Haunt at the wrong time.

Other than that, I would prefer the h/h in almost any setup. Against almost anything else, the b/b's mild gain in speed will rarely affect anything.

That said, Val'kyr is really rare, and both breeds are viable; leveling her up would not at all be a waste of time.
Squee and Jabart on Madoran (H)
battletag: jonyeh420#1172

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » January 29th, 2014, 12:01 pm

I have both breeds. I use the H/H for PvE (when I need one for a team) and the B/B for PvP.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 29th, 2014, 12:10 pm

I think it's important to explain why the h/h vs b/b matters. Personally I think I'd rather have the h/h than the b/b when the two are matched up against each other.

If two pets have the exact same speed then the game randomly chooses one each round to go first. For two unborn val'kyrs facing off this can cause Haunt roulette. Both people try to haunt on the same turn. Who ever goes first haunts the other one. The second one tries to haunt but there is no target so they just die and the first one pops back up as the pet they had haunted died.

If you have the b/b and the opponent has h/h and they aren't paying any attention at all to the fact that you are faster and are guaranteed to win the roulette then you end up with them suiciding their pet which is what Tuatha is referring to. Personally, I'm fine having the h/h and letting the opponent haunt first. I'm not going to try to haunt when I know I will loose so I won't suicide my pet. Then I'll haunt their next pet that they swap in. Now their valk got 1 round of haunt dmg, is on the back row with doom counting down and I get to choose my pet swap based on the pet they swapped in. Going second to haunt is to my advantage IMO as long as you are smart enough to not suicide your pet. If I'm facing off against a valk that is the same speed I'll actually shadow slash the second round rather than play roulette. If I win and go first I do dmg and they get their haunt off and I'm happy haunting their next pet. If they win and go first I don't get to do any dmg but it's much better than loosing my pet and I'm still happy haunting their next pet.

Tuatha
Top Rater

Post by Tuatha » January 29th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Kpb321 wrote:Now their valk got 1 round of haunt dmg, is on the back row with doom counting down and I get to choose my pet swap based on the pet they swapped in. Going second to haunt is to my advantage IMO as long as you are smart enough to not suicide your pet.
Meh, I disagree, but maybe that's because the only 2 Valks I've been able to find have both been b/b :P

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » January 29th, 2014, 12:47 pm

I happen to have the H/H as the only one I've captured but that isn't the basis for my opinion. I just happen to have the one I prefer.

Tuatha
Top Rater

Post by Tuatha » January 29th, 2014, 12:53 pm

I used to wish I had a h/h until 5.4 changed the mechanics. I love seeing h/h on the opposing teams when I have my b/b out to play. To each their own :)

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » January 29th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Kpb321 wrote:Personally, I'm fine having the h/h and letting the opponent haunt first. I'm not going to try to haunt when I know I will loose so I won't suicide my pet. Then I'll haunt their next pet that they swap in.
This line of play is open to the BB as well. BB vs HH always gives the BB an advantage: BB has an additional risk-free option, whereas the HH can't Haunt without taking a big risk. And if you always always always let them Haunt first, the HH is not necessarily better: the BB does not have to accept your gambit, they can simply attack as well. For example if I have BB and you have HH, and I'm confident that my other 2 pets can beat your other 2 pets, then I would be happy to trade Valks without Haunt ever being used. If the HH wants to prevent this outcome, they have to risk Haunting into a dead Valk. Anyway, I'm sure most Valk opponents over-focus on getting Haunt up, but that doesn't mean they're playing well or that 'haunt last' is always the best tactic.

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » January 29th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Quite true. If I'm playing a skilled opponent we can both end up attacking and probably trading valks with no one ever haunting but that is still better than playing roulette in my book and I've never run into that situation either as most everyone haunts round two like clockwork.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » January 29th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Haunting a Val'kyr is a bad idea. The other Val'kyr will just haunt your next pet and your Val'kyr is now on the back row. You did 140 dmg to the other Val'kyr and one of your pets is haunted. Bad deal.

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » January 29th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Kpb321 wrote:Personally, I'm fine having the h/h and letting the opponent haunt first. I'm not going to try to haunt when I know I will loose so I won't suicide my pet. Then I'll haunt their next pet that they swap in.
I disagree on this.

When a BB valk against a HH valk, the HH valk will be in a very bad situation.

Yes, you may think that your HH valk can eat the haunt first and then use the haunt on your opponent's next round and you will be better off.

But you forget the major point of using a valk team - her teammates will use all they can do to stall the next 4-5 rounds and there is nothing you can do.

Like I have mentioned, a 244 valk + 341 snake + 325 guardling will kill your 227 valk almost without taking a hit.

round 1, 244 valk use COD, 227 valk use COD
round 2, 244 valk haunt, you use a normal attack and can not attack.
round 3, guardling stun you
round 4, snake out
round 5, snake blind you
round 6, snake puncture you, you are dead
round 7, your valk in undead racial, facing my snake, you are so pissed and seeing you cod is up again, you cast COD, but you forgot my valk also is up in the back row, I call her up, thank you, you just refreshed the COD timer on my valk again.

after 7 rounds, you lost the valk, my whole team took ZERO dmg and have a fresh COD on my valk to face your second pet.

99% of the time, my opponents will just flee.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » January 29th, 2014, 5:55 pm

3wd wrote:thank you, you just refreshed the COD timer on my valk again.
... what?

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » January 29th, 2014, 6:13 pm

3wd wrote:
I disagree on this.
Against that specific team it isn't going to work well but I've faced a lot of valks and never faced that team. If I saw your team I wouldn't start with my valk, instead I'd start with my crawdad on that team as it puts me in a much better position.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » January 29th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Kring wrote:
3wd wrote:thank you, you just refreshed the COD timer on my valk again.
... what?
I don't think CoD ticks on his haunting valk until haunt is over. By casting CoD against his now not haunting valk again, it just resets the count of the previous CoD, so it never expires (assuming this persists)
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829