Tournament used for levelling pets

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Icedsugar
Top Rater
Pet Score:3881
BattleTag®:Icedsugar#6634
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us
Tournament used for levelling pets

Post by Icedsugar » January 28th, 2014, 4:39 am

As my topic states, I want to use the tournament to help lvl up some pets, now that I'm done collecting the 4 Celestial pets. I mean - I'm gonna continue to do it anyways for the coins to buy treats etc, I may as well get the most out of it!
I know I read a post somewhere where the poster gave tips on how they do this, but for the life of me I cannot find it again :(
Can anyone please direct me to that link, I would really be super happy (it may have been a response to another post, just wish I could remember!)? Or if anyone has time to share some of their tips, it would be much appreciated! Tx

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Tournament used for levelling pets

Post by Luciandk » January 28th, 2014, 5:15 am

Think people have tried, but that you only get miniscule amounts of xp for it. If you think about it, if it gave high xp you could just carry a pet in an easy fight like Wrathion, reset tournament and repeat it ad nauseam.

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Liopleurodon » January 28th, 2014, 9:39 am

Luciandk wrote:Think people have tried, but that you only get miniscule amounts of xp for it. If you think about it, if it gave high xp you could just carry a pet in an easy fight like Wrathion, reset tournament and repeat it ad nauseam.
When I was testing on PTR, carrying a pet gave ~1K for a level 22-ish, so fairly similar to tamers. The Celestials give garbage XP, which isn't surprising, as all single-pet fights give garbage XP.

Overall, it's kind of a losing proposition. On the one hand, you kill two birds with one stone. On the other, I've found that the Tournament does not favor the bold. Although you'll keep whatever levels you've gained by winning if you have to start over you might as well have taken that time to grind wilds (especially because of the unknown mechanics of breeding & Garrisons... I know I'm capturing rares now instead of leaving them). Good luck with this project though, and keep us posted!
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Icedsugar
Top Rater

Post by Icedsugar » January 28th, 2014, 10:21 am

Thank you for the feedback! I'll have to give it a go to see if it's worth the effort, but yes, it is hard enough to beat it normally and I do have to use back-up teams sometimes. I'd rather not have to start over just for a little bit of pet xp!

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Yeah. I've heard that the undercards are typical trainer experience but haven't tried to carry a pet yet. The Celestials are garbage and I have seen that first hand because I used a lvl 24 bonkers to finish yula off and got 100something exp. Totally not worth the effort.

Off hand I'm pretty sure I could do a carry pet against Wise Mari as a good standstorm almost completely eliminates the damage from his first pets dreadful breath and a Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling handles the other two pets pretty well as long as you time your decoy right.

If I did try to do carry teams I'd probably be using it for level 20+ pets that could survive a round or two and could help finish off the last pet. I've also got plenty of pets to have a back team or two for almost all the fights. I'll have to see who we have this week and see if I can find any good teams to carry a pet.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » January 28th, 2014, 6:09 pm

I use them to top off high level pets for EXP quite a bit (depends on the tamers that week). They provide less experience than Northrend/Cataclysm tamers (and way less than Pandaria tamers), but more than wild:

I haven't fully vetted out all of those values like I have for Pandaria/Cata/Northrend, so they might be off by a point in a few places, but those are the equation result values for the Celestial Tournament. This does not apply to the Celestials themselves, just the undercard tamers.

More info at http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

EDIT: In terms of teams I do a carry pet on:

Taran Zhu: Very RNG dependent, but usually pretty reliable. I use an [S/S] Death Adder Hatchling and Stitched Pup
Chen Stormstout: Very easy, but slow. I use a rabbit for Tonsa (you can replace this with any pet you use for Tonsa) and Chi-Chi for the cricket and elemental.
Wrathion: Kinda slow and a little RNG. I use either a Snail or [P/P] Emporer Crab for the undead, [S/S] Flayer for the two dragonkin. Crab seems to work better
Lorewalker Cho: Somewhat RNG. Feline Familiar + [H/H]Scourged Whelpling.

None of those teams are 100% the best. I've only experimented to get some data points for that table. I will say while the EXP is kinda meh, the ability to go in, due 2-3 carry pet battles, leave, heal and repeat is kinda nice. I'm not sure if it is faster or slower than doing wild pet battles, but I am leaning towards being faster.

I know I didn't post full strats. I don't really have the time and I mostly have done it by feel, so it would be off the top of my head anyways.

EDIT2: For reference the relative experience multipliers for tamers:
Pandaria: 12.5x
Northrend: 7.5x
Cataclysm: 7.5x
Tournament: 5.0x
Last edited by Jerebear on January 28th, 2014, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Icedsugar
Top Rater

Post by Icedsugar » January 28th, 2014, 9:05 pm

So we have Kiryn, Bling and Wise Mari this week. I'm gonna be finding some levelling teams just for my own entertainment and will share the successful ones with you. It may not all happen in a day, but here was my first try:

Against Wise Mari:
Qiraji Guardling S/S
Lil' Deathwing P/P
LVL Pet - Jademist Dancer P/S lvl 23 (I wasn't gonna take any chances lol)

The Guarling almost solo'd the first 2 pets and Lil' Deathwing just did one Tail Sweep to finish the 2'nd pet off.
I then used Roll and Elementium Bolt before he died on the 3rd pet. Jademist Dancer just used Steam Vent (can't remember if it was once or twice) and then the Elementium Bolt Finished off the last pet.

Jademist Dancer gained 1232 xp with the only extra buff being my Safari hat. Not great, but I think easy enough to not let this opportunity go to waste to get a pet a little closer to 25!

Edit: And off coarse I was lucky with RNG!

Icedsugar
Top Rater

Post by Icedsugar » January 28th, 2014, 9:36 pm

So, I certainly am not trying to find a levelling team for every encounter with the 3 guys before the Celestials, as I think that would be pushing my luck! But... I did just have success with the following team as well:

Against Kiryn:
Macabre Marionette H/P
Gilnean Raven P/B
LVL Pet - Rabid Nut Varmint 5000 S/B lvl 22

The Marionette did exceptionally well against the first pet and with the help of the 2'nd pet's Call Lightning his Dead Man's Party did heaps of damage to allow the Raven to finish off the 2nd pet with Call Darkness and Nocturnal Strike.
Raven did some damage to 3rd pet then Rabid Nut came in with Overtune and Metal Fist for a few rounds to finish him off!

Rabid Nut Varmint gained 1364 xp with my Safari hat on. Note that I did not just pick a random lvl pet here but a mechanical which I knew would be strong against the beast.

Edit: Jerebear, so far your calculations are spot on!
Anyways - hope someone else may find a use for these too!

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 28th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Against Wise Mari:
Qiraji Guardling H/P (I think any sandstorm pet will do and I think I'm actually going to try an elemental next time)
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling
Carry pet

The Guardling finished off the first pet easily while the team took minimal dmg (like 30-40 a round). I kept the guardling in until he died and brought in my carry pet then immediately swap to the MPD. The MPD easily finished the second pet. For the third pet breath the first turn, decoy the second turn and then breath till the third pet is dead. Should finish him no problem with the carry pet taking only the minimal dmg from the first pets ae. Using decoy the second turn means it eats both the dive and the whirlpool. After that he'll pump, whirlpool again and pump which is the first time your MPD will take dmg from him and probably trigger his rez depending on how much dmg the second pet got in but it was also the turn I killed him.

The reason I'm thinking elemental for the sandstorm pet is two fold.
1) My guardling can't kill the second pet and just ends up letting him build his one attack up until it's hitting pretty hard so dying faster helps decrease that.
2) Rock Barrage will get some damage through the shield as it is multi-hit.