Addon Rematch

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
CoCXan
Pet Score:5275
Realm:Alexstrasza-eu
Addon Rematch

Post by CoCXan » January 23rd, 2014, 8:04 am

Since I didn't found this jewel of a pet battle addon on the list at http://www.warcraftpets.com/downloads/pet_addons I thought I should share this addon from Gello: Rematch

You can find this great thing (which for me has the potency to replace Pet Battle teams) at the usual addon websites:

WoWinterface: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... match.html
Curse: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/rematch

Give it a try and leave some comments or suggestions for Gello, he is actively maintaining his addons - you may also know some of his other addons like Sticky Battle Pet Skills or Battle Pet Daily Tamer

Edit: after finally getting 8 posts I edited the links to be working
Last edited by CoCXan on January 23rd, 2014, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Re: Addon Rematch

Post by Kring » January 23rd, 2014, 8:25 am

There is one thing missing in Pet Battle Teams and that's support for groups. It was asked for a million time on curse.

Now someone creates a new addon. And what does it miss? Groups... :-/

Shinii
Top Rater
Pet Score:5470
BattleTag®:Shini#1888
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Shinii » January 23rd, 2014, 8:25 am

Looks interesting but i would like to see a few things about it on youtube.

like the leveling system in it
Thanks to suggestions from Behub, Aloek and others, Rematch has a robust system to make leveling pets easy.

In the pullout drawer there is a leveling slot with a shiny gold border. Within this slot you can build a queue of pets you want to level. Drag a pet to the slot or right-click a pet elsewhere (like the pet journal) and choose 'Start Leveling' to make a leveling pet.
Any teams saved with a leveling pet will reserve that pet's slot for future leveling pets.
When you see a shiny gold border around a pet in Rematch, it means that is a leveling pet.
As pets reach 25 (gratz!) the next pet in the leveling queue automatically becomes your new leveling pet.

CoCXan

Post by CoCXan » January 23rd, 2014, 8:50 am

Kring wrote:There is one thing missing in Pet Battle Teams and that's support for groups. It was asked for a million time on curse.

Yes, I know what you are talking about, a kind of filter/grouping/categories for teams.

You may want to read the comment section for Rematch on wowinterface, there are some great suggestions and Gello seems open for the idea of grouping/categories. He have already implemented a quick jump feature for the team list (just hit the character the team begins) and I think he is interested in this feature.

However, with the automatic pet team selector I found my number of teams I want to select got down to a handful or two. I used to have named my various teams for pandarias trainers, various BoF teams and different teams for timeless isle tournament an little tommy. Now with rematch I don't need to them anymore, because I just target them and rematch automatically load that team.

What I still have are 3 levelteams, several PvP teams and one or two "experimental" teams, but these are easily found in the list (and not really worth grouping). But for a more clean look of the interface I still want to see groups/categories which can be expanded/shrinked like in the tradeskill windows.

After requesting and waiting for several for Pet Battle Teams addon to bring it I'm more than willing to give Gello some weeks/months and will happily use the auto-team-for-target feature or the leveling queue ;)

Kring

Post by Kring » January 23rd, 2014, 9:09 am

CoCXan wrote:Now with rematch I don't need to them anymore, because I just target them and rematch automatically load that team.
How does that work?
  • Can you see these saved teams? Let's assume someone asks you "Hey, how did you beat Zao?" Can you view what is stored?
  • Can you send these saved teams to a friend who has the same addon? Or only the named ones?
  • Can you use the export/import functionality for them?
  • I have 2 teams for Xu-fu and if he kills the first I'll use the second and don't have to restart the tournament. Can you have multiple saved teams or how would that work?
  • How would you try a new team for a trainer to see if the new team is better? Do you have to kill the old team and re-add it if the new doesn't work?

CoCXan

Post by CoCXan » January 23rd, 2014, 10:07 am

I'm a new user of Rematch myself, just started with it a week ago, but I try my best to answer it. BTW, Gello just asked for feedback/ideas for team organisation and plays with the idea of collapsable headers, custom headers and so on. Feel free to give him your thought, I just made a comment at http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/f ... 0#comments to give him my feedback.
Kring wrote:
CoCXan wrote:Now with rematch I don't need to them anymore, because I just target them and rematch automatically load that team.
How does that work?
Well, you want to read the front page at http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/f ... 22190#info ; in the "How to use" section there is a quick summary: Target an NPC, click Save, and a team is saved for that target. It really it that easy. If you have a target selected the saved team will be (what I call) NPC-aware, and you get a team in the roster with a white team text. If you don't have anything selected the "Save" button become a "SaveAs" and you are free to name your (new) team anything you want like in PBT. These teams have a yellow text as team label. All teams are sorted alphabetically in the team roaster, no way to reorder them right now.

If you select a NPC which has a corresponding "white" team Rematch will automatically activate that team, that's the major idea behind Rematch. I switched from PBT with about 60 teams to Rematch and get used to the auto-switching whithin a day or two.
Kring wrote:* Can you see these saved teams? Let's assume someone asks you "Hey, how did you beat Zao?" Can you view what is stored?
Yes, of course. If you look at ascreenshot of Rematch you see there is the current team at the top, in "expanded" mode you can see an additional 3-pet-area, a list, which stores all your teams and several buttons for function. In the list there is an line for each team with name and the three pets (with VERY tiny icons), however if you select a line you get the teams pets in the area at the top. Here you can see the pets, their skills etc. With a double click you can make any team the current team.
Kring wrote:* Can you send these saved teams to a friend who has the same addon? Or only the named ones?
Kring wrote:* Can you use the export/import functionality for them?
Never done this myself, but yes, according to the "Sharing Teams" paragraph this should work. I HAVE imported my ~60 PBT teams without any problem.
Kring wrote:* I have 2 teams for Xu-fu and if he kills the first I'll use the second and don't have to restart the tournament. Can you have multiple saved teams or how would that work?
Xu-Fu, bringer of doom (at least if he manages to sneak in a crit, damn) :)

No, you can only have one NPC aware team for a NPC, however you can have as many teams as you like. The NPC-aware team (white) is only special in that if you change your target to a NPC this team will be auto-selected. While you still target this NPC you can then select any other team from your list (as long as you don't change your target again).
So I set it up this way prior to annihilate that tiger: I activated my (from PBT imported) team ZIT - Xu-Fu 1, select Xu-Fu, hit the save button. With this I get a new, NPC (Xu-Fu) aware team called Xu-Fu - Rematch automatically name a NPC-Id team after the NPCs name. Now I have renamed my two teams "ZIT - Xu-Fu2" and "ZIT - Xu-Fu3" to "Xu-Fu2" and "Xu-Fu3", so the are are sorted right one after each other.

Now if I select Xu-Fu the first team will automatically be loaded. If the first team is defeated, I then just doubleclick the Xu-Fu2 team while he is selected and this is set as my current team and I can beat Xu-Fu with this second team.
Kring wrote:* How would you try a new team for a trainer to see if the new team is better? Do you have to kill the old team and re-add it if the new doesn't work?
No, just select the trainer and change the team while the trainer is still selected. Don't hit the save key though ;)
Other way: you can rename your current white team (add a trailing "old" or something) then it wont autoswitch any more.

Hope this helps

Kring

Post by Kring » January 23rd, 2014, 10:34 am

Oh, wow, that sounds nice. Thanks for this extensive answer. I did read up on the addon a few days ago but thought that those trainer teams are somehow hidden. The concept with the white/yellow name is kind of nice. The addon sounds interesting indeed.

I have another question because I can't try it out myself till tonight. :-)

This level pet queue system sounds strange. Here's what I do at the moment. I have a plan of all pets I'd like to level. Here's what I do and I don't think I'm the only one.
  • Whenever I engage the Water Spirit I'll make sure to pick a pet with at least 1000 hp. I'm not going to use a level 6 carry pet.
  • I don't engage a trainer with a level 24 pet, those can be leveled by hand.
  • I check if there's a level 1 that needs leveling and these pets get priority on Moruk and Hyuna.
  • I level 2 level 1 pets at the same time with Trixxi to level 6.
Can this be done? Can I manually drag a two level pets into my Trixxi team? Or do I have to use the level queue? How do you do that?

CoCXan

Post by CoCXan » January 23rd, 2014, 11:48 am

Kring wrote:This level pet queue system sounds strange. Here's what I do at the moment. I have a plan of all pets I'd like to level. Here's what I do and I don't think I'm the only one.
  • Whenever I engage the Water Spirit I'll make sure to pick a pet with at least 1000 hp. I'm not going to use a level 6 carry pet.
  • I don't engage a trainer with a level 24 pet, those can be leveled by hand.
  • I check if there's a level 1 that needs leveling and these pets get priority on Moruk and Hyuna.
  • I level 2 level 1 pets at the same time with Trixxi to level 6.
Can this be done? Can I manually drag a two level pets into my Trixxi team? Or do I have to use the level queue? How do you do that?
No, the leveling pet function is not that sophisticated - yet. Right now you can declare one slot in each pet battle teams as "leveling slot", which then gets a golden frame. Whenenver a team with a leveling slot is activated Rematch will put the topmost "leveling pet" from its "leveling pet queue" in this slot. If the topmost leveling pet reaches level 25 it is omitted from the queue and the nextleveling pet is choosen.

To make things a little easier there are some function on a rightclick popupmenu for the leveling pet as well as in the standard WoW pet frame like "start leveling/stop leveling", "Send to start of queue", "Send to end of queue". This way you have some basic controls over which pets will be leveled and you can easily queue all those pets.

However we are not the only ones who would like to see more advanced mechanism like "put next level pet with lvl 6-8 in this slot", "use only flying pet", "use pet which gives most XP" and so one. Please add your thoughts (like above) to the addons comment section so Gello is aware of this and may be will priorize it further.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 23rd, 2014, 2:39 pm

This sounds like a pretty handy add-on and I'll definitely have to try this when I get home. I agree that the leveling slot and queue does sound like a really cool feature but I think it would need to be a little more advanced for me to use it across the board. Personally I use the first three gm trainers with alts parked at the to level my pets from level 1 to 15 so I'd want a level 1 pet to be selected for Lydia and then to maintain that same pet for trixxi and antari as that is what I normally do. After that then pretty much any random level 15 pet is fine at this point up until they get to level 24 as they generally end up a couple fights short of 25 and I don't want to waste a lot of trainer exp finishing them off. Currently I just add the pets I want to level to my favorites list and then remove them when they get to 25 if they aren't truly a favorite.

At this point the best thing about the add-on may not be any particular feature but the fact that it seems to have an active and engaged developer who is looking for and listening to feedback.

CoCXan

Post by CoCXan » January 23rd, 2014, 2:52 pm

Kpb321 wrote:Personally I use the first three gm trainers with alts parked at the to level my pets from level 1 to 15 so I'd want a level 1 pet to be selected for Lydia and then to maintain that same pet for trixxi and antari as that is what I normally do.
Yes, this is something I do myself. I have set up many pets as favorites in WoW standard interface. If I begin my pet battles I go to my favorite, right click a lvl1 and select "Start leveling", this way it is set as leveling pet in Rematch and is positioned at the start of the queue. I then proceed with the next trainers, the (former) lvl1 is still the active leveling pet and is automatically set in the leveling spots of the following teams. If I want to switch to a another lvl15 I once go to the leveling queue, locate the new lvl15 pet and select "Start of leveling queue" from right click menu and this will be the new leveling pet until it is either lvl 25 or I choose another pet to be the first pet in leveling queue.

It is not that elegant, but far fewer clicks and selection as with favorites/Pet Battle Teams where I always have to change the pet I want to level.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » January 23rd, 2014, 3:00 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will give this add on a try.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » January 23rd, 2014, 3:26 pm

This really sounds awesome. I can't wait to try it. I really like the idea of having a leveling queue. Even if I need to switch out a pet at a certain due to not wanting to lose Trainer Xp. It still sounds like there's a lot of functionality we don't have with PBT (which I use atm)

Thanks so much for the info on this one.

Soulesschild
Pet Score:2051
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Soulesschild » January 23rd, 2014, 3:44 pm

Awesome. I was going to write some custom code for Pet Battles to add groups but this sounds so much better :D

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » January 23rd, 2014, 4:15 pm

CoCXan wrote:
Kpb321 wrote:Personally I use the first three gm trainers with alts parked at the to level my pets from level 1 to 15 so I'd want a level 1 pet to be selected for Lydia and then to maintain that same pet for trixxi and antari as that is what I normally do.
Yes, this is something I do myself. I have set up many pets as favorites in WoW standard interface. If I begin my pet battles I go to my favorite, right click a lvl1 and select "Start leveling", this way it is set as leveling pet in Rematch and is positioned at the start of the queue. I then proceed with the next trainers, the (former) lvl1 is still the active leveling pet and is automatically set in the leveling spots of the following teams. If I want to switch to a another lvl15 I once go to the leveling queue, locate the new lvl15 pet and select "Start of leveling queue" from right click menu and this will be the new leveling pet until it is either lvl 25 or I choose another pet to be the first pet in leveling queue.

It is not that elegant, but far fewer clicks and selection as with favorites/Pet Battle Teams where I always have to change the pet I want to level.
That doesn't sound too bad. I'd probably end up doing a new level 1 to the start of leveling queue more frequently than picking a different level 15 pet as I am able to do those three tamers much more frequently than I get to do the full Pandara circuit but even that sounds easier than using PBT. I've currently got quite a few pets that have built up at level 14 or 15 that need to be leveled the rest of the way.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » January 23rd, 2014, 5:16 pm

Honestly, the pet battle teams addon really does everything I need with one exception; I wish I could save filters. I posted on his Curse thread, never got any feedback though. I am actually the guy who requested the ability to create an 'empty' slot for your carry pet in the teams :)

This mod looks shiny, but the automation looks like more than I want.

I want filters bad enough that I have considered learning LUA to add them myself :/

*derp* guess I forgot the enhanced journal addon is doing this, not the teams :)

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » January 23rd, 2014, 5:47 pm

Badpathing wrote:Honestly, the pet battle teams addon really does everything I need with one exception; I wish I could save filters. I posted on his Curse thread, never got any feedback though. I am actually the guy who requested the ability to create an 'empty' slot for your carry pet in the teams :)

This mod looks shiny, but the automation looks like more than I want.

I want filters bad enough that I have considered learning LUA to add them myself :/

*derp* guess I forgot the enhanced journal addon is doing this, not the teams :)
I'll second saving the filters in the enhanced journal addon. I regularly do a filter excluding non-tradable pets and pets I only have one of which leaves me with a list of trade able pets I have two or three of which is pretty much the pets I'm moving to sell on another AH. It's not hard to set that filter up but I've done it probably hundreds of times now.

I'm also not sure which addon or addons are doing somethings as I installed several at once and it seems like some thing are covered by multiple of the addons I installed.

Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Gello » January 23rd, 2014, 7:33 pm

Thanks CoCXan for spreading the word. :p I haven't been overly concerned with this addon having widespread use since it's still missing a major component (but not for much longer).

But yes, please leave ideas! At wowinterface or curse or here is fine, tho sadly I can't promise to diligently hang out here but I'll try.

CoCXan covered most points but I'll answer too for extra insight:
Message received. I have one major UI component (pet browser) to attach to the addon before I get there. But it will be a future focus. I've tried to keep the dialogs all contained within the main window but I may just opt for a consistent modal save dialog. In addition to assigning groups it will allow adding team-specific options, like only loading leveling pets with X hp.
Can you see these saved teams? Let's assume someone asks you "Hey, how did you beat Zao?" Can you view what is stored?
Yeah, there's a pullout drawer with a list of teams.
Can you send these saved teams to a friend who has the same addon? Or only the named ones?
Absolutely. Select the team, hit Send, enter a name and if they have Rematch also (and aren't in combat, don't have sharing disabled and aren't already looking at an incoming team), they'll get a popup of your team with the option to save it. If you already have a team named the same it will warn you and you can change the name then. If you already have an existing team and save anyway there will be a confirmation popup asking if you want to overwrite the team (showing both old and incoming pets).

It's mentioned in the addon description, but it can handle missing pets being part of a team just fine. They'll be greyed out and only the pets you have will load if you don't change the team.

Not mentioned in the addon description is support for caging pets. You can cage your whole team, mail it to a friend (you trust), and while the pets are gone they'll be greyed out. When you learn the pets back they'll return to the team. (If you do this a lot I recommend turning on 'Auto Upgrade' which is disabled by default)
Can you use the export/import functionality for them?
You can import this:

Lil XT Tantrum:0:256:116:279:387:285:116:279:387:471:455:389:459:

and it's not associated with any NPC but it will save as 'Lil XT Tantrum' in your team list.
I have 2 teams for Xu-fu and if he kills the first I'll use the second and don't have to restart the tournament. Can you have multiple saved teams or how would that work?
Yes but its auto-loadness (the whole auto-show/load works is off by default) only works when the team is named white and named the same as the NPC. To load an alternate team you just open the drawer, scroll to the alternate team and load. I have a few Chi-Chi teams (who doesn't?).
How would you try a new team for a trainer to see if the new team is better? Do you have to kill the old team and re-add it if the new doesn't work?
While the addon emphasizes going to a NPC to save a team, it's not necessary. You can sit in Stormwind or Orgrimmar and play with the teams all you want. If you name them after an NPC (Case Sensitive) and you choose to enable auto-show/load, it will react to those NPCs as if you saved them at the NPC.

If you save over an existing NPC "white" team, it will preserve the NPC ID in the team.
This level pet queue system sounds strange. Here's what I do at the moment. I have a plan of all pets I'd like to level. Here's what I do and I don't think I'm the only one.
Whenever I engage the Water Spirit I'll make sure to pick a pet with at least 1000 hp. I'm not going to use a level 6 carry pet.
I don't engage a trainer with a level 24 pet, those can be leveled by hand.
I check if there's a level 1 that needs leveling and these pets get priority on Moruk and Hyuna.
I level 2 level 1 pets at the same time with Trixxi to level 6.

As CoCXan says it's not that sophisticated yet. Getting two leveling pets into a team will be easy enough.

When I get the groups save dialog going, there will be a spot to add settings specific to that team. If these settings are short (just numbers) it can be tied to the team export/import/send too.

I was thinking of a minimum hp (like the 1k you meantion), but maybe a min and max level for pet? I can see 24s being a waste. I've had a request to save notes with teams (like the skill rotation to use), which is doable in that dialog also, but it'd probably be confined to ~250 characters so it can be transmitted to others. (or just left as a local client note)

If you can think up a UI to do it, and I'm sure I can do it. I've had 9 years experience writing addons and am very, very familiar with Lua/XML. (I'm Ro on the enUS official UI-Macro forums, my addon resume includes Recap and ItemRack) The hardest part for me is visualizing how a new UI should work. Once a workable concept is worked out, implementing it is no problem.

BTW, I should note here if you want to change the leveling pet on the fly, mouseover the leveling slot and your queue pops out. Click and drag the pet you want swapped in up into the leveling slot.

If you have a leveling pet already loaded (this is, one of your current three pets), it will swap it out for the new leveling pet you dragged to the leveling slot.
I'll second saving the filters in the enhanced journal addon.
It's not necessarily what you meant, and I can't link external links since I just created a warcraftpets account tonight, but for a few months I've had a working pet browser with amazing filter abilities. Hopefully it will be attached to rematch soon.

In addition to the usual stuff, it can also search abilities: search 'Call Lightning' and it will filter to all pets with that skill. Search 'Bleed' and it will filter all pets with 'Bleed' in its abilities or ability descriptions. There's a "type bar" where you can click 'Strong' then the Magic icon and it will filter to all pets that have Dragonkin attacks (pets that are strong against magic). You will also sort by hp, speed and power. edit: but to re-emphasize, the current version can't do this. It's the current focus, however.

If there's anything else sorely needed, let me know. I can't promise to add everything. Despite everything this addon does I'm pretty concerned with bloat and hope to keep it somewhat streamlined.

Kring

Post by Kring » January 23rd, 2014, 9:28 pm

I've looked at the saved variables file and it looks like you save only the pet GUID of a team but not the species ID. I think these GUID aren't guaranteed to be immutable and patches can and will change them. This was the reason why Pet Battle Teams sometimes lost all teams. You should also save the species ID.

["Ka'wi the Gorger"] = {
{
"0x0000000001157578", -- [1]
921, -- [2]
920, -- [3]
919, -- [4]
}, -- [1]
{
"0x000000000114E3C7", -- [1]
921, -- [2]
919, -- [3]
917, -- [4]
}, -- [2]
{
"0x0000000001157576", -- [1]
921, -- [2]
920, -- [3]
917, -- [4]
}, -- [3]
68555, -- [4]
},

Exporting the team seems to export the species ID:

Ka'wi the Gorger:68555:1211:921:920:919:1180:921:919:917:1212:921:920:917:

And it would be very nice to be able to export all teams at once, to backup them.

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » January 23rd, 2014, 10:05 pm

Gello wrote: It's not necessarily what you meant, and I can't link external links since I just created a warcraftpets account tonight, but for a few months I've had a working pet browser with amazing filter abilities. Hopefully it will be attached to rematch soon.

In addition to the usual stuff, it can also search abilities: search 'Call Lightning' and it will filter to all pets with that skill. Search 'Bleed' and it will filter all pets with 'Bleed' in its abilities or ability descriptions. There's a "type bar" where you can click 'Strong' then the Magic icon and it will filter to all pets that have Dragonkin attacks (pets that are strong against magic). You will also sort by hp, speed and power. edit: but to re-emphasize, the current version can't do this. It's the current focus, however.

If there's anything else sorely needed, let me know. I can't promise to add everything. Despite everything this addon does I'm pretty concerned with bloat and hope to keep it somewhat streamlined.
We were both referring to http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/pet-journal-enhanced which I don't think is one of your addons.

Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Gello » January 23rd, 2014, 10:17 pm

I've looked at the saved variables file and it looks like you save only the pet GUID of a team but not the species ID. I think these GUID aren't guaranteed to be immutable and patches can and will change them. This was the reason why Pet Battle Teams sometimes lost all teams. You should also save the species ID.
That's a very good point. I'll make this a high priority. It will be:

["Ka'wi the Gorger"] = {
{
"0x0000000001157578", -- [1] (petID)
921, -- [2] (ability1)
920, -- [3] (ability2)
919, -- [4] (ability3)
123, -- [5] (speciesID)
}, -- [1]

It does check at important points to make sure petID remains valid, but this will be nice it can fetch the speciesID when the petID fails. And actually that can greatly simplify the caging process. Excellent suggestion thanks!
We were both referring to pet-journal-enhanced which I don't think is one of your addons.
Yeah I know sorry. I got hung up on the 'filter' word. You can ignore.