Bug I've never seen before...

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us
Bug I've never seen before...

Post by Skavenged » January 20th, 2014, 12:33 pm

I had an Alpine Hare (S/S), facing a Jumping Spider (B/B) in pvp. The fight came down to the wire, but I was protected with Dodge, and went first with Flurry, bringing him below 200 health. I felt pretty secure, knowing that he couldn't hit me this round, and since I would go first next round, I could Flurry and take him down... except that he used Leech Life. Although his attack DID NOT hit me through my dodge, he STILL got the double healing for a total of 310 health. As you can guess, the next round didn't go well for me.

Has anyone else seen this?

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Re: Bug I've never seen before...

Post by Ligre » January 20th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Nope, never. And that's not right. If the move doesn't deal damage when he uses it, then it shouldn't allow him any life gain. That's pure bull right there.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 20th, 2014, 6:25 pm

If you look at the way the ability is worded I don't think it's a bug.

Deals 138 Undead damage.
The user restores 138 health. Double if the target is Webbed.

It doesn't say it heals you for the damage dealt or anything like that it just says it restores health.

Compare that to Consume

Deals 256 Undead damage.
The user is healed for 100% of the damage dealt.

The wording is different, the function seems to be different and each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Leech Life's heal won't benefit from debuffs on the opponent or buffs on the caster or things like the beast or dragonkin racials but it will heal even if you miss and the heal won't be reduced by being a weak attack or by buffs on your opponent. Consume on the other hand can benefit from things like the strong attack bonus and beast racial but does actually have to hit to heal. I use Mr Grubbs on one of the celestial tournament trainers and the Bonus dmg vs humans stacks with the beast racial to make for some pretty good dmg and heals. At the same time I know that using leap in the same fight that you don't actually have to hit and deal dmg to get your haste buff.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » January 21st, 2014, 9:57 am

I disagree. I've learned that what the description says is not always what it does. Take nocturnal strike for instance... the wording says that it "always hits" if the target is blinded and yet we all know that it misses. I get it, it becomes a 90% hit chance in darkness against non-elementals, but that is not what the description says. It would be different if it said "chance increased to 100 if target is blinded", but it doesn't. It says always

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » January 21st, 2014, 10:32 am

While the wording of the ability suggests that this is not necessarily a bug, I don't think it's "working as intended". Worth asking a Blue.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 21st, 2014, 2:10 pm

Then is leap not working as intended too because it doesn't need to hit for you to get the speed buff?

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » January 21st, 2014, 10:14 pm

I don't know what the intention is. That's why it's worth getting an official response.