Question about breeds

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Tyrick
Pet Score:1096
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu
Question about breeds

Post by Tyrick » December 28th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Hello!

I'm really happy because I started collection [pet]Infinite Whelpling[/pet]s few WEEKS ago for every day. And now I finally got a Rare one. I have had a Uncommon one till now.

However I'm not relly sure if the current one is actually better or I should spend more days on getting a new one. The Uncommon one is P/P which resulting in really huge hits. But the new rare one is P/S.
I'm not really experienced about breeds. (Just started to use PetJournalEnhanced addon which helps me a lot. Any good-to-have addon for pet battles btw?) So, can anyone help me to decide?

I'm not going to PvP or something serious, just leveling up several pets and enjoying new pet abilities :)

Thank you!

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Re: Question about breeds

Post by Abashera » December 28th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Hey Tyrick. :)

Dragonkin generally benefit from power. I feel that 280 speed would be considered the threshold, with anything [over] 280 being fast. So the P/S Infinite Whelpling's 273 speed won't benefit it much. I would go for a P/P.

(The only Dragonkin that is fast enough for speed to matter are the Dragonhawks.)

Just for the sake of comparison. With the Scourged Whelpling on the other hand it's really a tough call. If you make the P/P your main scourged you won't be disappointed with the BIG HITS. The difference in the Health breed is that the health-pool is almost double. So you will be able to survive nearly twice as many hits. They almost even out in the case of this pet. So in that case it's a personal call. Though the H/H may be better against certain elementals.

As far as add-ons go...

"PetBattleTeams" is great. You can put together as many teams as you want. I have a team for each tamer from the two in Kilmador and Eastern Kingdoms that award Sack of Helpful Supplies, all the way up to Pandaria. I have a few Capture teams I go to when I need to capture a pet. And I have a few PVP teams at the ready.

Another good one is "Pokemon Trainer." Being able to see the enemy's ability cool-downs is a major advantage in both PVP an PVE.

For collecting pets, "PetTracker" is indispensable. If you've ever used the wowhead maps that show you where all wild pets are on a map, this add-on puts that right on your in-game world-map. You can configure it to show all pets in the zone, pets missing from your journal, and pets that need to be upgraded—or you can turn the add-on off altogether. :D
Last edited by Abashera on December 28th, 2013, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrick
Pet Score:1096
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Tyrick » December 28th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Thank you for the awesome reply :)

I'm going to farm some more, maybe I'll be luckier :)

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » December 29th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Most dragonkin "Whelpling" types pets are slow by default and almost all have PP breed available. Common attack aswell is the tailsweep, really good cookiecutter attack that benefits from being slow. Add in the buffed dragonkin racial, they are quite powerhouses.

Emerald, Nexus, Infinite, Onyxia just to mention some on top of me headoz.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 29th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Dragons generally favor power over all other stats (especially the tail sweep types), so a P/P would be the strongest option for the Infinite Whelp, however since you aren't PVPing or looking to fill some specific spot in a team the P/S should be just fine for you. I have a P/B and I'm satisfied with it, I've used it in my Jeremy Feasel (DMF) team and it does the job.

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Aur » December 30th, 2013, 1:17 pm

My very general rule of thumb for PVE pet breeds is go for Power then Speed unless the pet has abilities that specifically scale with health (i.e. [ability]Explode[/ability]). All humanoids benefit more from Health than other families due to their racial. Some pets either benefit more from power or more from speed depending on the move set you choose, so you have to consider how you want to use that pet to decide what the optimal breed for you is.
Speed is a tricky stat. It is somewhat similar to hit rating in game, in that you only want just enough to be faster than your opponent and everything after that is wasted stats. People who PVP a lot generally value speed because they want to out-speed their opponents. You really have to look at the pet's abilities to determine if you want to stack speed on a pet. For most CC abilities, stuns, etc, you want speed. You also want speed for dodging and blocking type abilities. Multiple hit abilities can benefit from speed, whereas single nuke type hits benefit more from power - again in very general terms. A few abilities ignore speed completely and always go first (I.e. [ability]Deflection[/ability]) and a very few (notably the dragonkin [ability]Tail Sweep[/ability]) actually benefit from less speed. Flyers and undead tend to benefit less from speed than other families due to their racials also.

Clear as mud right?

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » January 9th, 2014, 6:47 am

Aur wrote:Flyers and undead tend to benefit less from speed than other families due to their racials also.
I use a S/S Flayer on Antari's last pet Netherbite, and the flayer has been known to two shot Netherbite with "Kick", and a "Blitz" crit.