team building

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Athonx
Pet Score:2175
Realm:Zul'jin-us
team building

Post by Athonx » January 6th, 2014, 11:38 pm

m trying to nail down a method of building teams but no one seems to be offering clear advice on the matter. there was a good thread on the wow site that made me decide to go with the coverage approach but i notice a lot of ppl still having successful teams despite the lack of coverage. is there like a list of templates or something i can look at?

Astraldr0p
Pet Score:4511
Realm:Dalaran-us

Re: team building

Post by Astraldr0p » January 7th, 2014, 2:14 am

Tbh, when I started, I just read some of people's favorite teams and followed their play strategy. With that being said, there are some that works and some that doesnt - it just depends on what works for you. Discodoggy's blog also helped me get a better understanding of how to play - he can be found at http://pvppetbattles.com.

I too tried to come up with ways to build a team but there wasnt a lot of sources out there. It really is a lot like PVP in a way that there is no cookie-cutter way to play and it's just a matter of being able to play smart

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » January 7th, 2014, 4:18 am

Coverage is a good first time approach to cover all your bases.

You should find a pet you really like and perhaps try building a team around it. Find other pets that complement it or boost each others abilities. With that said there are definitely a bottom tier of pets that rarely, if ever, are seen in pvp teams.

There are two threads on front page of this forum with lots of viable teams. Check those threads out.
"Your favourite PVP teams" and "Uber fun PVP combo's".

Be also sure to check through the first sticky in this forum, there is quite a bit of information in there if you dare to give it a go.

Some general tips:
If you go with a pet with Conflagrate this ability will do much more damage if the target is burning. Most pets with Conflagrate actually make opponents burn by themselves, but some can't which means you will need some other pet that can make them burn.

If you got an ability which will cause Bleeding. Then Maul will hit for a lot more and Blood in the Water will always hit. So try to find those pets that have those abilities.

Call Darkness/Blind will make Nocturnal Strike always hit.

There are a few abilities that will cause Chilled effect(a weather and some others). There are at least three different abilities that will get bonus effect if the opponent is Chilled.

If you use Call Lightning, then if your other pets have multiple hit type of attacks you will get much more extra damage from the lightning than if you got single attack type moves.

This is just the tip of the iceberg...

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » January 7th, 2014, 5:18 am

For me, I built my strongest team around a normal pet, the Emperor Crab(PP) (Or Magical Crawdad which I use in it's place sometimes). The crab winds up pulling double duty as he hard-counters the Valks on every other team I seem to face with his Undead resistance, surge eats up Elemental types, his trap is highly strategic and does good damage, and the heal is no slouch either. I like the idea of a central pet that is good against just about everything (i.e. Anubsath though I rarely use him) that you can build a team around. I normally team my crab up with a Flayer Youngling(SS) which is another strong all-around pet, and either a Direhorn or the more specialized Fel Flame for weather switches.

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » January 8th, 2014, 3:38 pm

It's a bit of a tricky thing. Using synergy to make a meh pet good, or just using good pets with no synergy doesn't work b/c both sets are going to lose to good pets with synergy.

I normally start out by trying to choose a couple of pets that go together (my nether faerie dragon for moonlight paired with xu-fu, or my jademist dancer with a cyclone caster, or something with a damage added debuff with multi hit abilites), then I take a look at those two pets and see what's going to cause them problems. In a perfect world you find a third pet that benefits from their synergy and fills in some gaps, but failing that filling in gaps works fine too.

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » January 8th, 2014, 5:08 pm

A successful pvp pet team should not base on the pet category to build around as to support each other, this kind of thinking will only put you in a very bad and very defensive position and in most of the case, you will fail.

A successful pvp pet team should always base on skill to build around it.

What are the most powerful skills?

- Huant - so you build around it such as combine with teammates with dodge/avoidance to give more rounds or use a stitch to howl to double the result.

- inspiration - so you team up with a bone raptor to use massive aoe attack.

- immo/gate - so you team up a valk and a scourge whelp with the imp, use huant, get your imp in, gate your opponent to the back row, switch the whelp in, put the leech HP buff on your opponent, which also helping the imp to use immo to get more HP at the back.

other example also including the bleeding team, lightning team, ect.

This way you will have a much higher chance to beat more random teams.

Athonx

Post by Athonx » January 11th, 2014, 10:51 pm

oh wow, this is a lot to absorb. thx for all the feedback. at first my team creation was pretty superficial, themed after whatever toon i was using them with. for example my pet team for my pally main were all pets i thought were pretty paladin-esque. needless to say, when i queued for pet pvp i was defeated in pretty short order. im gonna choose one pet for each toon and try to build a team around that pet. i did that for coverage but i think im gonna go back and try to take abilities into consideration.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » January 12th, 2014, 5:10 am

Just so you know, pet battles are "anonymous" in that your toon will be replaced by random avatar. Your opponent won't actually know you are a paladin. Unless you name your pets "im a paladin". Only by pet names can you really try to identify your opponent. After a while you will start to recognize team compositions and playstyle so in effect you will know that you are facing the same opponent again.

Athonx

Post by Athonx » January 12th, 2014, 10:01 am

oh, ok. i was not aware of that, though the themed teams were as much for me as for pvp, but they were all completely non-functional as far as pet battling, even pve.