Possible glitches that I don't understand

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Eekabu
Pet Score:3307
Realm:Magtheridon-eu
Possible glitches that I don't understand

Post by Eekabu » December 25th, 2013, 3:59 am

Hello there,

not sure if this has been discussed already but I hope someone can help me out here. I love pet pvp and play with various pet combinations. Now, there are mechanics that, according to their tooltips, should or should not happen, depending on the mechanic.

e.g.:
[ability]Nocturnal Strike[/ability] misses although the target is blinded with [ability]Call Darkness[/ability]. Tooltip clearly states that the it always hits when the target is blinded. Just to be clear, the target has no blocks up, yet my Nocturnal Strike misses.

My target is blinded with [ability]Blinding Poison[/ability] and it still hits my pet.

The pet that I have applied [ability]Haunt[/ability] on dies, and my Unborn Val'kyr doesn't come back up.

Are these glitches or mechanics that I'm simply too dumb to understand. It's quite frustrating when it happens during a pvp match.

Thanks in advance :)

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Re: Possible glitches that I don't understand

Post by Rendigar » December 25th, 2013, 8:27 am

In the 1st instance, was the opponent an elemental? They do not suffer from weather effects (like the blindness caused by call darkness) so you would still have a 50% chance to miss.

What pet that was affected by Blinding Poison hit your pet and with what move? An "Always Hit" move trumps a 100% reduction in hit chance.

Not sure on the haunt, I've not played around with it enough to know.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » December 25th, 2013, 9:41 am

Like previous poster said, if opponent was elemental it was indeed not blinded. But also with Nocturnal Strike you will still get -10% hit due to you yourself being blinded by Call Darkness. And in this case "always hit" will mean Nocturnal Strike counts as 100% hit and then -10%, so your actual hit chance is 90%. My guess is that weather effects are applied last when calculating hit chance.

Blinding Poison is a whole other deal. In reality it will apply a -100% hit debuff. Which means most attacks will miss. But "always hit" attacks like Nocturnal Strike(if opponent blinded) and Xu-Fu's Spirit Claws(in moonlight) will apply their flat 100% hit rate afterwards like a fixed number so those attacks will still hit you(except nocturnal strike is still only have 90%). So Blinding poison is not a good move under those circumstances. Laser ability has 200% hit chance and will also still hit you while blinded. Certain mechanical attacks(strong vs the snake) will also still hit. Good example is Clockwork Gnome turret, you will see all its attacks miss but you will still be hit by the "strong" part of the attack. There also seems to be some cases when the hit calculation glitches and with lots of negative rebuffs the attack will actually turn to a positive number. Perhaps -100% is multiplied by another negative somewhere and that will be turned into positive result.

Haunt. I have not experienced what you are saying. Are you certain that your Valk was "alive" when casting it? If it was on the undead racial turn it would not resurrect. Only other thing I can think of is that your own pet also died. If a haunting Valk is the only pet left it will count as dead.

Denverrunner
MVP
Pet Score:6503
BattleTag®:denverrunner#1152
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Denverrunner » December 25th, 2013, 10:03 am

I have nothing more to add regarding nocturnal strike and blindness.

I have found a way around the blindness that I am not sure is a glitch. If blinding poison is applied to my murkalot, I use his hammer ability. The first of his three hits misses and the other two hit.

My valk sometimes dies too when the pet it haunts dies, even when it has a lot of health left. I don't know why this happens either.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » December 25th, 2013, 10:41 am

Blinding Poison. There is also hit buffs that can bring hit chance to a positive value again. Like jademist dancer can do.

Murkalot. In my humble opinion this attack is a programming failure. It works like no other attack. The last two attacks will always hit regardless.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » December 25th, 2013, 11:43 am

I've noticed you lose your immortal round on the Valkyr if you use Unholy Ascension prior death? Thats new or what?

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » December 25th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Lolfixheal wrote:I've noticed you lose your immortal round on the Valkyr if you use Unholy Ascension prior death? Thats new or what?
Its supposed to be a suicide move, just like explode disabling mech self rez. Though I had an unusual thing happening a few days ago. I had a blackfuse bombling casting armageddon, and the enemy pet did something that caused me to gain health I think? For my bombling survived casting armageddon and allowed me one more round of casting before it was destroyed.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » December 25th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Does Life exchange work on a dead pet?

Lolfixheal

Post by Lolfixheal » December 25th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Speaking of Life exchange I've had it few times on Gorespine opening with my mini mindslayer. I pass rounds till low hp, gorespine got dot on me but because I got initiative I queue up the Life exchange, the dot ticks and kills me and the healthreturn from Life Exchange ressurects me. Your character cries, the petlog says u died but your alive :D

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » December 25th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Lolfixheal wrote:I've noticed you lose your immortal round on the Valkyr if you use Unholy Ascension prior death? Thats new or what?
I think if you cast unholy ascension after the "killing" blow, you don't die because the undead racial prevents your health from going to zero. If you cast it prior to being "killed" the undead racial isn't triggered. I did this on Zao, since I knew when he was going to kill my undead valk.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Jabart
MVP
Pet Score:1878
BattleTag®:jonyeh420#1172
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Jabart » December 26th, 2013, 12:32 am

Eekabu wrote:The pet that I have applied [ability]Haunt[/ability] on dies, and my Unborn Val'kyr doesn't come back up.
If the pet you're about to use Haunt on goes first and kills itself (eg: faster Haunt, [ability]Armageddon[/ability]), the Val'kyr will find nothing to haunt and remain dead.
Squee and Jabart on Madoran (H)
battletag: jonyeh420#1172

Lolfixheal

Post by Lolfixheal » December 26th, 2013, 12:42 pm

But when did they change the Valkyrs Unholy Ascension, it worked fine prior SoO patch. They could atleast have the decency to change the tooltip like they have done for the mechs.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » December 27th, 2013, 8:38 am

Things can still be dodged if they have a spell like 'cute face' or they can also be blocked. My Noc Strike always seems to miss or 'dodge' in the CT with that stupid 'cute face' buff.

Alfonzzo
Pet Score:5574
BattleTag®:Alfonzzo#1981
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Alfonzzo » December 29th, 2013, 10:22 pm

Vek wrote:Blinding Poison. There is also hit buffs that can bring hit chance to a positive value again. Like jademist dancer can do.

Murkalot. In my humble opinion this attack is a programming failure. It works like no other attack. The last two attacks will always hit regardless.
[ability]Puncture Wound[/ability] off the [pet]Death Adder Hatchling[/pet] works the same way. it feels like a bug to me, but who knows?

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » January 2nd, 2014, 5:02 pm

Blinding Poison indeed has a bug which will allow the blinded target in some cases to hit the snake, I had spent lots of time to test this but unfortunately can not find out a clear logic when this will happen, but it sure does exist.

Huant on the other hand, like OP mentioned, also has a bug which prevent the valk to come back to live sometime. And its mechanic is also unknown after many testing.

So far I can only say that the blinding poison is happening more frequent to the huant bug, but nonetheless my stats show these 2 bugs are probably happening less than 1-2% of all the encounters.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » January 7th, 2014, 2:56 pm

I have now also experienced the haunt bug. I did haunt then Black Claw and killed the opponent a turn later. It might have been a skull. But so far only once.

Invictus
Pet Score:3367
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Invictus » January 8th, 2014, 9:01 pm

I can confirm both the [ability]Blinding Poison[/ability] and [ability]Haunt[/ability] bugs, I just experienced both several times today after reading this thread.

I snapped a few screenshots for proof.

First my [pet]Death Adder Hatchling[/pet] was fighting a [pet]Darkmoon Tonk[/pet], these were the first and only two pets out, there were no +hit buffs or abilities used whatsoever. Here is what happened:

So blinding poison hits the tonk, then tonk hits me with [ability]Ion Cannon[/ability] while he has the -100% hit debuff from [ability]Blinding Poison[/ability] showing on his pet. Definitely seems like a bug to me.

Similar thing happened in another battle today with a [pet]Baby Ape[/pet]:

Blinding poison hits the ape, then ape lands a smash that hits my adder. Again, no +hit buffs were active.

The bug with [ability]Haunt[/ability] happened to me twice today also. On each occasion, my Valk used [ability]Haunt[/ability] two times in the same pet battle, the second time it did not res when the haunted pet died, despite the Valk never having been killed. I think the bug might be related to using Haunt twice in the same battle, not sure but this happened two times to me just today.

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » January 9th, 2014, 7:56 pm

I don't recall having experienced the haunt bug (and I used a Valk a bunch! But, I might just not have been paying enough attention). The blinding poison thing though, that one infuriates me! I'd say it happens more than 1 or 2% of the time!

I've never screen capped it as responsibly has ^ did, but man, I certainly spent a while looking at the skills that hit me to ensure that I just wasn't aware of some vulnerability (like a 200% hit chance or something of that nature). It's so annoying that this happens when the Death Adder is as fragile as it is. I've known for ages that Murkalot with the triple hammer always manages (for some reason unknown to me!) to get two to hit the adder, but other things with single attacks have still hit me multiple times after having been blinded.

Oh, the one that actually did hit me but I realized in retrospect that it made sense was spirit claws when the elemental effect was up.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » January 10th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Blinding Poison is wonky because the way hit chance works is wonky. At least in the cases that I understand.

Nocturnal Strike under Darkness, or Spirit Claws under Moonlight, and other 'always hits' abilities -- these are actually 200% hit chance, just like Laser. So they're still 100% hit with Blinding Poison up.

Blessed Hammer -- this ability is just badly implemented. The 3 hits are independent and the 2nd two hits don't actually check hit chance. So they just hit (but can still be dodged).

Negative hit chance -- it's not entirely clear exactly how the game checks whether an ability should hit, but it's clear that when an ability's hit chance becomes negative, it can hit. For example if you Blinding Poison a pet with Claw (100% hit chance) -- now it's hit chance is 0% and it always misses (in my experience). But if you Blinding Poison a pet with Crush or Rampage (80% hit), the game doesn't set this to 0% hit -- the tooltip hit chance actually shows -20%, and for whatever reason the ability can occasionally hit. People have speculated that the game simply doesn't recognize the 'negative' sign and the hit chance is actually 20%, but I haven't seen enough data to be sure of that.

Smash is 85% hit, so the above can explain the first example that Invictus gave. However Ion Cannon is 100% hit chance, so unless there are other -hit effects in that example, I can't explain that one.

Jabart
MVP
Pet Score:1878
BattleTag®:jonyeh420#1172
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Jabart » January 10th, 2014, 9:32 pm

I use Val'kyr with Haunt all the time, and I have never noticed any glitches with her. When she's supposed to revive, she revives.

What I have however seen is many Valks failing to revive due to using Haunt at the wrong time, whether it's right after an opposing Val'kyr haunts, or right after my Blackfuse Bombling (boosted by Righteous Inspiration) uses Armageddon. This happens quite a bit. I suspect the alleged glitches might actually be such fizzled Haunts.

In addition, there's times when a Val'kyr is tagged with a fatally damaging Curse of Doom or something, and she'll die and briefly reappear for a her undead turn in the back line before dying again. It's also plausible that Val'kyr owners might not notice this happening, and instead wonder why they never see her revive.

(No clue about that blind Ion Cannon hitting though...)
Squee and Jabart on Madoran (H)
battletag: jonyeh420#1172