Could I get someone's opinion? :D

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Theraisama
Top Rater
Pet Score:7860
BattleTag®:Kiwi#1191
Realm:Moon Guard-us
Could I get someone's opinion? :D

Post by Theraisama » December 13th, 2013, 5:09 am

So I made a google doc spreadsheet for keeping track of pets as I level them, between updates here on the site. Would like someone to give opinion, double check that I don't have duplicates / am not missing any. @_@ Send PM if interested, if not, it's cool.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Re: Could I get someone's opinion? :D

Post by Tiggindy » December 13th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Speaking as someone that used to use a spreadsheet for my pets (to keep track of which toons had what pets, since I had 18 toons with between 90 and 212 pets each), and hopefully not sounding mean, why?

I abandoned my spreadsheet around the beginning of MoP because there was no longer a need for it.
I use the petjournalenhanced add-on, and that's all I've needed.

That add-on can sort by name, by level, by family, or even have it display by zone, so I could see what I had vs what I needed, and so on. It let me see easily when I had a duplicate, or what pets needed stoning, or leveling.

A spreadsheet would do roughly the same thing. If you sort by pet name, or pet level, or pet family (as long as you have columns for each).

The only thing it didn't do for me, mostly because I wasn't interested, was keep track of pet breed at a glance.

Theraisama
Top Rater

Post by Theraisama » December 16th, 2013, 5:27 pm

I have and love PJE. I use dual monitor set up and it's a googledoc that I colorcoded pet ranges. That way I can see without having to scroll back through pets in the addon, and I don't know. I like making color coded spreadsheets? lol It started because I was leveling pets for the Celestial Tournament, and wanted to keep track of the ones I needed to finish leveling. Then I got the idea to just expand it for all the pets. @_@ It may be a silly idea, but /shrug.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » December 16th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Theraisama wrote:I like making color coded spreadsheets?
Fair enough. :)

I have friends that like spreadsheets, so you're not alone. ;)

I'm a bit more utilitarian, if there's a different/easier (for me) way to keep track, then I'll do that.

Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Slab » December 21st, 2013, 8:24 am

As someone who goes even further ... I usually start with making a spreadsheet, and graduate to a small scale Access database ... I have mined the XML data from https://theunderminejournal.com/ as well as reading the source code from this site's collection page. It took time and probably more effort than was really necessary :p. There is also http://petsear.ch/Pets, which may give you a starting point to work with. But I really needed to combine info from all of them to make what I wanted.

For me, I wanted first to be able to kind of plot a path of which pets I needed as I went thru the continents and did my initial pick up. I should go back and do it again for which pet battle ones I am still carrying an uncommon version, but I've been busier with my "let's play the AH between servers" game ... spreadsheet is server, date, pet and AH price. Bought a [pet]Filthling[/pet] for 1500 on Illidian, sold it for 3500 on Blackrock and that gave me the money I needed there to buy my [pet]Kovok[/pet]. I'm essentially drained off "off-server" resources atm, but hope to get it started again and see if I can work up to one of the biggies (I'm looking at *you*, [pet]Darkmoon Rabbit[/pet]! :D

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » December 21st, 2013, 1:12 pm

Theraisama wrote:So I made a google doc spreadsheet for keeping track of pets as I level them, between updates here on the site. Would like someone to give opinion, double check that I don't have duplicates / am not missing any. @_@ Send PM if interested, if not, it's cool.
Use a addon. Pet Journal Enhanced will show on your map where you're missing pets and which aren't blue yet. There's another that'll give you much more pet journal things to see (where you can sort and see various pets in certain level ranges or names or quality or where the pet came from.) That's way easier than a spreed sheet. Trust me. There's 500+ pets in this game. That's a lot to keep track of.

Theraisama
Top Rater

Post by Theraisama » December 23rd, 2013, 10:19 pm

Kendrah, I do use an addon. This is for keeping track of things when I can't access WCP.com, or the armory, or wanting to keep track of pets by family and level. It's perfectly fine to think this is a silly and useless document. It's simply something I made for keeping track of things the way -I- wanted to. Was just requesting an outside opinion on the sheet itself, not the fact that the sheet exists. ^_^