Which WILD pets are worth stoning?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu
Which WILD pets are worth stoning?

Post by FuxieDK » December 21st, 2013, 7:31 pm

We all know, Blizzard likes to play tricks on us, and gives ud green (sometimes even White) pets from quests, mob-drops, vendors etc...
All these pets, we need to stone to make rare.. So far so good...

However, which WILD pets are stone-worthy too?
Minfernal and Unborn Val'kyr, both simply due to extreme rareness.. But are there others?

Yesterday, I hunted for 6 hours for a simple Mac Frog (or McFrog as I call it), before I found my first rare.. I had almost given up, and almost bought a stone for it.. Now, I'm happy I didn't..
How about Tiny Twister or Tiny Bog Beast? Both spawn in a tiny area, and not very many at the same time, making it hard to effectively farm them.. But is it worth to stone them?

Any good pointers, as to which pets are worthy of a stone (Thye are not exactly cheap on the AH)??
Breed is not an issue (for me).. I'm only concerned about getting all my pets blue, but without getting ripped for all my gold..

Merana
Pet Score:10003
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Re: Which WILD pets are worth stoning?

Post by Merana » December 21st, 2013, 7:37 pm

Wanderer's Festival Hatchling.

But that's about it, if you're unlucky with spawns on your server, either ask a friend to invite you to another one or roll a DK or other low level character on low populated ones.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 21st, 2013, 7:46 pm

The wild pets I stoned due to rarity were Minfernal, Val'kyr and Giraffe Calf. I got lucky with Wanderer's Festival Hatchling but otherwise would have stoned that as well.

Other pets I stoned because they used to be harder to get: Scourged Whelpling (it used to be as rare as Minfernal), Qiraji Guardling (the first day it was out).

Astraldr0p
Pet Score:4511
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Astraldr0p » December 21st, 2013, 9:34 pm

Lofty Libram from Hillsbrad, Flayer Youngling from Terrokar/Hellfire, Emerald Proto-Whelp from Sholazar Basin and the Scorpling from Badlands

Those I remember I had a long spawn time. The weather specific too - while they're up for a little bit, I tend to capture the first one I see and then the first uncommon I see and then, if I'm lucky, a rare

Tiny Twister and Tiny Bog beast can be forced-spawn if you go around and kill the other pets (both for battling and non-battling). I've ran around and killed the critters, come back and see some have popped up

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » December 22nd, 2013, 1:18 am

I cant say it enough [pet]Emerald Proto Whelp[/pet] is Imho one of the best wild pets out there. Especially in the P/P breed, pushing its heals to obscene levels. VERY solid pve pet.

Corah
Pet Score:13318
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Corah » December 22nd, 2013, 4:31 pm

I stoned my giraffe calf, my Val'kir and the Tiny Bog beast (too much of a pain to hunt for a rare).

Sinhel
Pet Score:4333
Realm:Les Sentinelles-eu

Post by Sinhel » December 23rd, 2013, 4:33 am

I didn't stone the hare from hillsbrad, the one that only pop as a secondary, but if I had known afore hand, I'd have. Aside from that, wanderer hatchling of course, and unborn valkyr like every one I guess.

Hermy
Top Rater
Pet Score:10379
BattleTag®:Hermy#1783
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Hermy » December 23rd, 2013, 5:21 am

For me, it's any wild pet that I have lost all patience in hunting for a rare. It could be different for everyone - sometimes you just can't find one, no matter how long you look. I don't have any friends on low population servers, and I'd rather not roll another DK (the one I rolled for the Gilnean Raven was torture!). The only non-wild uncommons I have left now are Beasts & Flying anyway, so any spare stones for the other families went on completing my rare collection.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » December 23rd, 2013, 12:17 pm

I just recently stoned a Spirebound Crab because it was the last pet I needed in the zone and I got an Aquatic stone from a pet battle while farming it before I got a rare. There were plenty of pets to fight I just got tired of it and used the stone.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » December 23rd, 2013, 2:37 pm

Like others, I stoned my Minfernal, Scourged Whelpling, Giraffe Calf, Unborn Val'kyr and Wanderer's Festival Hatchling because I was so happy to have one, period. I would have stoned my Sumprush Rodent, but the first one I found was a rare. I ended up stoning my Sporeling Sprout and Flayer Youngling because they came in so many breeds that I knew it would take a lot of farming to get the correct breed, much less a rare of that breed.

Ultimately, I ended up stoning a lot of wild pets because I had extra stones and the rares proved elusive. If you have the stones, use them on the pets you're going to be using regularly.

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Aur » December 24th, 2013, 11:37 am

My wild stoned list:
Crow P/S (stoned this breed as I have an S/S Raven already)
Emerald Proto-Whelp P/P
Flayer Youngling S/S
Grasslands Cottontail S/S - farmed for days and gave up
Unborn Val'kyr
Minfernal
Wandering Festival Hatchling (saving a stone for this one)

I have since stoned other wild pets but only after running out of non-wild pets to use the stones on. A couple others like the Scourged Whelping, Fluxfire Feline and Tiny Twister I just got really lucky on and caught a rare. I am still trying to farm a rare Robocub. Others on my "to be stoned" list are a P/P Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling, S/S Nordrassil Wisp and P/P Jade Oozling.

I know people say to use stones on the ones that can only be caught uncommon first, but I think it is worth it to stone some wilds that have proven to be strong in battles but are a pita to farm. If you are going to use the pet, then it is better to upgrade it and start getting use out of it rather then spending frustratingly long days farming something. Stones have become easy to get if you do the dailies consistently. Most of the uncommon-only pets are not that great for battle anyway or they share a move-set with an easier to obtain rare version. Certain families it doesn't matter, like humanoid or undead, as there are so few of these you will end up stoning them all soon enough. I would use a family-specific stone on these and not waste a flawless.

Eekmeister
Pet Score:2873
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Eekmeister » December 24th, 2013, 3:37 pm

I haven't stoned any wild pets other than Unborn Valk and Minfernal. Was srsly contemplating stoning my Stunted Yeti but I don't get humanoid stones often and for a while there weren't any stones dropping for me :-P The only pet I know I will stone is Marvin, my P/P Infinity Whelpling because he was one of my first pets and he died a lot so I could battle my way to victory. I just need a two dragon stones to drop so I can finish stoning my dragonhawks. Then I will stone him.

It's just too gratifying to catch a wild rare. But I'm the type that prefers to catch a pet at a low lvl if I can. It just doesn't feel like it's mine if I didn't raise it myself.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » December 24th, 2013, 4:08 pm

I stoned all of the hard to get ones mentioned then others as stones became available. I have over 200 spare stones sitting in the bank from the Panda dailies so I wouldn't worry too much about it in the long run.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » December 24th, 2013, 10:09 pm

Even Tiny Twister or Tiny Bog Beast arent worth stoning, place an alt each place (or fly, close together) and reset the batch each day. Just like a daily task of 15min and you will find the rare in your prefered breed. Theres not many breeds available to them so thats quite easy. Flayer Youngling is another specific area spawn but 10 breeds available, Ive found HH, PS, HP and all subbreeds, yet SS or PP so I stoned one. It was not because it was hard to find any up, plenty nodes, same as Bog Beast and Twister.

You want to stone rare pets in the sense of not many nodes up and/or many breeds (if u even care about that). Also some pets dont come as secondary or tertiary pets even while in same zone, that could option in aswell.

Wildhammer Gryphon, one could get lucky getting as secondary but primary abit meh. Save for last when rest of pets in zone are done.

Larva ghostlands havent seen more than 2 spots, however single breed would make farming rare okay if u get onto a realm with them up.

lofty libram, had no issues. Irradiated roach realmjump that one. Winter/summer pets are up for 3months? Very busy farmers first few weeks but then they tend to spawn quite ok.

Im having trouble with Redridge Rat but thats because 80% of the zone phasing issue, can be worked around with a fresh toon who hasnt quested there yet, little project i gotta do, my main has cleared all quests.

Scorpling does have only a few spawnnodes, dunno if it comes secondary but 3 breeds only where 2/3 would be acceptable, lucky cointoss like Bog Beast and thats done. Skittering Cavern Crawler same deal.

It really comes down to each petcollector themselves what they are struggling with and if you do have spare stones which you usually end up with of: humanoid, undead, dragonkin, elemental, aquatic etc sure stone the last few if they are just collecting dust, time saved is time earned or smt :D

But I would never stone a wild pet like MacFrog that comes in abundance and as 2nd/3rd pets, that I'm too stubborn to do.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » December 25th, 2013, 12:00 pm

The only wild pets I ever stoned (or need to stone) are:

- Giraffe Calf
- Wildhammer Gryphon (P/P)
- Scorpling
- Crow (S/S)
- Blighthawk (H/P)
- Larva (I still need to stone this one, and I keep thinking I will one day get to hunting a rare one again, LOL!)
- Unborn Val'kyr (I stoned one of my Unborns because I didn't feel like hunting down another rare.)
- Crimson Geode, (The P/P hits itself pretty hard, and is an almost sure suicide, even using a turkey to put it to sleep. After about four months of casual hunting I finally found a rare P/P!!! ...and when it killed itself I gave up and stoned a "poor" one.)

Everything else I hunted down Rare, in the best breed, no matter what I had to do. :) Personally I enjoy the hunt.
Last edited by Abashera on December 26th, 2013, 12:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » December 25th, 2013, 12:19 pm

I stoned Giraffe, Minfernal, and Coral Adder. Coral Adders now come as secondaries on Timeless Isle; I've seen several rares too... doh. Oh well, I have a ton of stones. I just stoned ones I got tired of farming for in rare. If you collect lots of stones then it's not that big of a deal to spend one.

Just my 2 copper :)

PS: Got my Larva as a secondary pet; as always make sure you battle a lvl 5 at least so he brings a friend (I did the ghosty crabs on the shore).

Scorplings did not come secondary (when I got mine, at least).

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » December 27th, 2013, 2:24 pm

I recall stoning Minfernal, Emerald Proto-Whelp, Unborn Val'kyr, Scourged Whelpling, Wanderer's Festival Hatchling, Coral Adder, and I stoned the moths from the Timeless Isle just because they are so annoying to get to. I know I stoned a few other wild pets, but I can't recall which ones.

Cyntaria
Pet Score:13711
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Cyntaria » December 28th, 2013, 5:21 am

Besides the Minifernal and the Unborn Val'kyr, the Larva from Ghostlands and Imperial Eagle Chick from Grizzly Hills were the ones I gave up on and stoned.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » January 2nd, 2014, 9:09 am

UPDATE:

So far, I have stoned my Giraffe Calf, Minfernal, Unborn Val'kyr..

Only missing ~11 Wild Pets (as rare). Thinking of stoning:
- Turkey (2 small spawn points, crawling with alliance guards).
- Jade Oozeling. 1 spawn per ~15 minutes.. IF YOU ARE LUCKY!
- Undercity Rat.. Strangely, as Horde, this is a problem for me. Stormwind Rat was much easier.
- Wharf Rat.. Because they are never around, when I am.
- Crow. Because DMF isn't exactly pet-rich, and they only appear as secondary pets.
- Stunted Shardhorn.. Because most of them are stuck inside trees, and not many spawn.

....and then ofc, the remaining ~130 pets that are from vendors, achievements and mob-drops.. Those are sadly must-stone pets..

Funny enough, Emerald Proto-Whelp, Coral Adder, Scourged Whelpling and all the wilds on TI came surprisingly easy in the blue color to me..

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » January 2nd, 2014, 9:35 am

Hrm. I think theres a difference between Wild Pets that is actually useful, and Wild Pets that is terribly obnoxious to get ahold of, whom may or may not be good in pet battles too.