New battler here, a simple question...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Discoslice
Pet Score:292
Realm:Nordrassil-us
New battler here, a simple question...

Post by Discoslice » December 15th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Hey guys--

As I mentioned in another thread, I am leveling a new shaman (level 35 now) - and as I am I am leveling some battle pets. I realized I might be doing some overkill though.

In my head, I thought I needed to level 1 pet of each of the 10 types to level 25, as I level to 90 for my shammy. But, I forgot that you can capture higher level pets as you level (duh) and don't need to level EVERY pet from 1-25. Big DUH!

So, technically, I could level say 3 types, then just capture level 25 versions with those 3 (once they get to level 25?) So I don't need to level one of each type from 1-25 I guess? I do want to beat the Pet Tamers appropriate to my level though.

Hope I'm clear... Advice?

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: New battler here, a simple question...

Post by Peanutty » December 15th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Yes, let's take a moth for example. Rather than pick a level 1 and level it to 25, you could pick up a lvl 25 wild (or caged AH) moth once you have at least one level 25 pet on your team already. Just remember that wild pets do lose some levels when you catch them. A level 25 will drop to level 23. But that's still a lot less work to get those last 2 levels than starting from 1. If you buy a caged pet and learn it, they don't lose levels.

The way I would recommend doing this is picking a team of 3 pets and leveling all those to 25. Then use those to catch and/or level boost other pets to add to your stable. Of the 3 pets you will most likely want a mechanical, a beast, and one other of your choice - the reason is the wild pets you encounter will tend to be beast (weak against mechanical), critter (weak to beast), with probably flying and aquatic being the other most common.

You can probably beat some of the tamers with just a random team, however somewhere around the Northrend part of the chain, you will find it to be far more difficult if you don't bring pets that are strong against each tamer's collection.

Discoslice

Post by Discoslice » December 15th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Double
Last edited by Discoslice on December 15th, 2013, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Discoslice

Post by Discoslice » December 15th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Ok Peanutty I think I understand.

If I have a level 25 pet, is there a faster way to get one from 1-25 then? I was thinking that if I leveled them up as I go, I won't be stuck with a huge leveling grind once I get only a few to level 25. Is there an xp boost once u get one to 25?

Also, if I go one mechanical and one beast, what pet type you suggest for the third pet I level up?

Btw, I meant to mention that I'm getting some crazy leveling xp with pet battles. I have about 5 heirloom items on my shaman - guess that's helping.

P.S. I am really liking the Wolpertinger! I think I'll use him, Rascal-Bot (like him a lot too) and someone else...

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » December 15th, 2013, 11:22 pm

If you have a 25, it stops taking in XP, so the other pets that participate in the battle will absorb the extra XP. The fastest way then would be to use two 25s to boost a lower level pet through the tamers (once you finish each part of the chain they become dailies... hope I got that right. At some point they do become dailies.)

If you do 1 beast, 1 mechanical, then my suggestion is either a flying (strong v aqua) or magic (strong v flying) for the third spot. That should give you pretty good coverage for wild pet battles and some versatility in tamers up to a certain point. Or if you plan on doing a lot of wild pet taming, then get a Terrible Turnip for third spot, it will help a lot in catching wild pets.

Yes, pet battles are a great way to level your toons as well. I didn't think I was going to bother with some of my alts but they got so much XP from pet battling it seemed a waste to not take them all the way to 90. :)

Discoslice

Post by Discoslice » December 16th, 2013, 1:21 am

Thanks Peanutty - you have been quite helpful! Will look for the T.T. on the AH - I do have a garden though with 16 plants. I've never looted one though and have been doing daily plants for months now... Bad luck?

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » December 16th, 2013, 2:08 am

I recommend picking up a Turnip on AH, I did 16-plot farms on 4 toons and never got a Turnip. They don't tend to be very expensive, maybe a few hundred gold now, which is a good investment if you're hoping to catch wild pets as you go.

Best of luck, and don't be afraid to experiment with different pets to see what suits your play style.

Discoslice

Post by Discoslice » December 16th, 2013, 3:18 am

I found one for 20g on the AH :) Going to level the T.T., along with my Rascal-Bot, Gilnean Raven, Murkalot, and Wolpertinger. What do u you think? As I said, my goal is to get to 25, defeating the Pet Tamers as I level to 90. Heading to Southern Barrens now....