Input on my pet levelling lineup

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Discoslice
Pet Score:292
Realm:Nordrassil-us
Input on my pet levelling lineup

Post by Discoslice » December 15th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Hi,

I'm leveling a new shaman and decided to Pet Battle in the zones I'm in as I level. I'm making sure I get at least one pet of each type to the max level for my current zone (i.e. I'm in Desolace now so getting 1 pet of each type to level 9 before I leave the zone.)

My plan is to have one of each type at level 25 when I hit max level with this char. I can't seem to search for the "best rated pets" of a family type - i.e. best Aquatic pets, Undead, etc - here on this site. I can only see the top 20 of all types of pets - so I've done a little research as to which pets are decent.

Anyway, I've picked the following and would like some feedback on them. My other goal is to defeat Pet Tamers in my zones as I level as well.

Here they are:

1) Mechancial - Rascal-Bot
2) Critter- Stinker
3) Beast - Alterac Brew Pup
4) Dragonkin - Lil' Deathwing
5) Elemental - Lil' Ragnaros
6) Undead - Lost of Lordaeron
7) Humanoid - Murkalot
8) Magic - Enchanted Broom
9) Flying - Gilnean Raven
10) Aquatic - Mr. Chilly

So, let me know if you see a choice that's going to gimp me - I'd like these to be useful pets as well when I get to level 25.

Appreciate any input!

:D

Hypah
Top Rater
Pet Score:2214
Realm:Madoran-us

Re: Input on my pet levelling lineup

Post by Hypah » December 15th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Theres no real "best pet" in pet battles. Virtually, any pet can be the "best pet" if combined with other abilitys and synergy.
However, I'll give my input on what I think the best pet of each class is anyways. Remember the best pet is mostly based on point of view.

Humanoid: Murkalot

Dragonkin: Nether Faire Dragon (S/S)

Flying: Crow (S/S)

Undead: Spirit Crab (H/H) (In my opinion one of the best pets.)

Critter: Wolpertinger

Magic: Enchanted Lantern

Elemental: Blossoming Ancient

Beast: Death Adder Hatching (S/S) (easily one the best pets of 5.4)

Aquatic: Spineclaw Crab (P/P) or if not able to afford; Snarly

Mechanical: Blackfuse Bombling (P/P)

These are the best pets of each family imo.
I dont have TONS of experience, but I'd say I have quite a bit of expeirence with pet battles judging by my 863 PvP pet battle wins and 2774 total wins.

Discoslice

Post by Discoslice » December 15th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Thanks Hypa for the detailed reply.

Right now my max pet level is 7-9 so I dont think I can get all of those yet. And - I haven't really had to use much strategy in winning random battles or even with the tamers - I'm sure that will change as I level up.

I actually have the Worpeltinger so I could level that up quick - and swap out Stinker I guess.

Any other pets from my list I should swap out? I'd just like to have a decent team at 25 without having to level up a million pets I guess.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 15th, 2013, 6:31 pm

Finding the "best pets" for each family really isn't as simple as looking at ratings or a list (if it were, the game would be a little boring, I think). Most pets are viable in a PVE setting; PVP tends to have "flavor of the month" pets, and that might skew the ratings on this site. Personal preference has a lot to do with it too - some really popular pets, I'm not so keen on, and vice versa.

On to your list, the ones I have comments on would be...
1) Mech: I don't consider Rascal-Bot a must-have mechanical. You'll find yourself using a mechanicals a lot if you're trying to catch beasts, so you'll want something that has more mechanical attacks. I would go with one of the following instead: Darkmoon Tonk, Darkmoon Zep, Menagerie Custodian.
2) Critter: Stinker is good on paper, less effective in reality. A fast rabbit would be my pick, Dodge + Burrow is very good for evading damage.
4) Dragonkin: I don't have Lil Deathwing so I can't comment on it. Good other choices for dragons would be anything with the following combo: Tail Sweep, Heal Flame, Lift Off (i.e. Spawn of Onyxia, Wild Crimson Hatchling, Crimson Whelp) or a heavy healer like Emerald Whelp / Emerald Proto-Whelp.
7) Humanoid: Haven't really had a chance to use my Murkalot, though it should be a strong choice. Anubisath Idol would be another option. It's probably one of the most popular humanoids, for good reason - Deflection and Sandstorm will keep it in a fight for a long time.
8) Magic: Enchanted Broom is popular in PVP. By far my favorite magic pet though overall is a fast speed Nordrassil Wisp. Flash then Light is a great combo for both PVE and PVP, in blind teams.
9) Flying: While I do use my Raven a lot, I would go with a moth instead if I could only pick one. Moths are easy to use and almost all their abilities are good.
10) Aquatic: I don't find penguins to be great battle pets. I would definitely go with a fast water strider instead. Pump plus Water Jet is a powerful combo and will destroy elementals.

Remember, this is all my opinion and you might find other choices to be better for you! I did try to keep to easier to obtain pets but some of them can only be wild tamed at higher levels.

Discoslice

Post by Discoslice » December 15th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Thanks Peanutty. I have now dumped Stinker in favor of the Wolpertinger and like it much better.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to level one pet of each type as I level? Or could i just level 3 pets instead?

Also, if the Magic Broom isn't as good for PvE - is there a lower level Magic pet that is great all-around I can get around now? My pets are about level 9.

Thanks!
Last edited by Discoslice on December 15th, 2013, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 15th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Discoslice wrote: Also, if the Magic Broom isn't as good for PvE - is there a lower level Magic pet that is great all-around I can get around now? My pets are about level 9.
The only one around that level that comes to mind is the [pet]Jade Oozeling[/pet] (level 11-12, Hinterlands).

Edit: Another wild Magic pet that's low level is the [pet]Lofty Libram[/pet] (6-7, Hillsbrad Foothills).

Personally, I prefer the oozeling over the libram in PVE battles though.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Discoslice

Post by Discoslice » December 15th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Thanks Quint will go for the Oozeling in a couple levels. I'm addicted to pet battles! :o

Denverrunner
MVP
Pet Score:6503
BattleTag®:denverrunner#1152
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Denverrunner » December 15th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Lil' Ragnaros is a great elemental pet for both PVE and PVP. However, if you are just leveling one for now, I would go with the Terrible Turnip. It's Weakening Blow ability is very nice when you are taming pets and prevents unintended killing.

Astraldr0p
Pet Score:4511
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Astraldr0p » December 16th, 2013, 5:06 am

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... f=3&t=7900 is probably a really good starting point, since the Pandaren trainers are one of the best ways to level more pets. I really wished that I wasn't being stubborn to take a long time to level them since a lot of these pets are also used in the celestial tournament too.

Another thing that I've done was learn about the coming trainers and then leveling the pets to counter them.

If I were to go over your list, this is what I'd pick instead:

1) Mechancial - Darkmoon Tonk
2) Critter- Rabbit or Snail
3) Beast - Spider (especially one that would eventually have brittle webbing and swarm)
4) Dragonkin - Infinite Whelping/Celestial Dragon (The celestial dragon had won like most of my battles when I was doing the trainers)
5) Elemental - Terrible Turnip
6) Undead - Spirit Crab/Crawling Claw
7) Humanoid - Anub Idol/Peddlefeet
8) Magic - Shimmering Wrymling
9) Flying - Moth
10) Aquatic - Crab

However, with that said, I leveled like three of each class and eventually gave that up and just leveled to beat the trainers. Honestly, I ended up abandoning most of the pets that I started to level in favor of the ones I ended up capturing, especially when I was in Cata and Pandaria