How do you rate battle pets?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us
How do you rate battle pets?

Post by Saasan » December 9th, 2013, 6:09 pm

With the new double rating system (yay!!) I have run into a problem while rating pets. I'm not sure how to rate "duplicate" pets. For instance--I love moths. They are excellent pets for PVE and a staple part of my leveling and trainer teams. However, when I go to rate them, I'm not sure how many stars to give them. I don't really have a preference of one moth or another, so should I give all moths 5 stars?? It's not like Swamp or Tainted are of themselves super awesome. I just like how moths play.

Any thoughts?

(Yes, I'm sure I'm over thinking this. :lol: )

EDIT: Also, I don't think moths are particularly awesome for PVP. So, great PVE battlers but only *okay* PVP battlers. I have no idea how to rate this. :roll:

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: How do you rate battle pets?

Post by Kpb321 » December 9th, 2013, 6:53 pm

I don't know that there is an answer for the question as the ratings are by design subjective.

The only thing I really see that you could use to differentiate them is the available breed(s) as other than the timeless Isle moths they all have the same move set and same base stats. My Breed preferences are P/P or P/S generally depending on how fast I need to be. Based on that I'd rate the Yellow Moth the highest as it is the only P/P option and a handful of other moths that have P/S as slightly lower. Maybe a 5/5 for Yellow Moth and 4.5/5 for P/S for PvE. I agree that for PvP they are less useful unless you want to run a 3 moth team to annoy people so I'd rate them lower there. Maybe a 2.5 or 3 out of 5. From there I'd combine my PvP and PvE ratings to get a single score but as my only real interest in PvP is the weekly to get the 50% pet food and eventually getting the 250 wins for the direhorn I'd skew it towards the PvE rating maybe doing a 3.5 for generic moths, 4 for P/S moths and 4.5 for the Yellow Moth. With the new system you can always change your mind.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » December 9th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Interesting. Maybe we need 3 scores? Looks, PVP and PVE.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » December 9th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Iamwhatis wrote:Interesting. Maybe we need 3 scores? Looks, PVP and PVE.
I think that would just make everything really bulky. I do like the thought though! But for battling, there is quite a bit of overlap, so hopefully it won't be that much of an issue.

Cheers!
Dak.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Shagina
Top Rater
Pet Score:3992
Realm:Grim Batol-eu

Post by Shagina » December 10th, 2013, 4:54 am

Personally I choose which purpose I use the pet for and rate it based on that.

Iamwhatis

Post by Iamwhatis » December 10th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Shagina wrote:Personally I choose which purpose I use the pet for and rate it based on that.
I like it. So if the pet is primarily a pvp pet it gets rated on how good it is in pvp and if it’s a pve pet it gets rated at how good it is in pve.

Iamwhatis

Post by Iamwhatis » December 10th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Community Question: What if the pet is really never used in pvp or pve are you comfortable giving it a zero star rating or is there some minimum you never go below?

Gabrizar
Top Rater
Pet Score:13567
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gabrizar » December 10th, 2013, 6:22 pm

I'm also unsure how to rate them all. Most of them I have never used, so no idea how I should be "fair" and rate them.
Just because I dont use them, or dont have them, or havent leveled them yet might not mean they deserve a 1 star.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » December 11th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Iamwhatis wrote:Community Question: What if the pet is really never used in pvp or pve are you comfortable giving it a zero star rating or is there some minimum you never go below?
All the numbers will eventually average out. Some people will love a pet, some totally despise it. But after a bunch of votes, you will start to see a trend and hopefully one that most people agree with.

So, rate how you want and for whatever reasons you want! Have fun!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD