warning: must do this before battling...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Safina
Top Rater
Pet Score:8336
Realm:Emerald Dream-us
warning: must do this before battling...

Post by Safina » November 8th, 2012, 6:44 am

Yeah This morning I was going to kill someone lol. Rule number one in my list of things to do is KILL MOBS AROUND THE STUPID PET BEFORE BATTLING THEM :evil: .

It was a nice morning in jaguaro isle when all of a sudden it started to pour! YAY!! And no others to fight me for the pets either!! I started hunting for my lovely rare baby ape and all I saw was uncommons and poors and commons. Then, in the corner of my eye I see a lonely spawn. I grab it.... it's a RARE! I start fighting it and bring him down to 55 health. I was JUST about to capture my prize when ... what the?! POOF I get out of the fight! A gorilla mob attacked me!! The rain stopped... The spawn baby ape never returned... OOOOH NOOOO!

Yeah so that is my sob story. From now on No more mrs nice pet hunter :evil: . ALL mobs DIE!!

Malanade
Top Rater
Pet Score:7203
BattleTag®:Malanade#1295
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Re: warning: must do this before battling...

Post by Malanade » November 8th, 2012, 7:07 am

Yeah, I've had this happen before. When I first started leveling my pets the little low level mobs would come up and start missing me and I'd just kind of stare at them like " Are you serious" but I noticed that the critter I was fighting disappeared... And that was not going to sit well with me. :x

And thus the beginning of area wipes began. I would kill every mob I saw in the area to make sure it didn't have a path near me.

And I still do a lesser extreme version of that.
But just make sure that when you are battling you try to get it done quickly in higher level areas else you'll lose a lot of rares and uncommons like I have to the random crap mandids who... I didn't even know were even in the area. (Although I think they find me on purpose) :lol:

Post by Guest » November 8th, 2012, 7:47 am

I think it's an issue with combat pets. When you phase for pet battles, it phases you and not your pet, so you can easily be taken out of the battle due to the mobs noticing and attacking your pet. Just dismiss your pet and you should be fine. :)

Sorry about your loss, I'm sure you'll get another chance at a rare!

Safina
Top Rater

Post by Safina » November 8th, 2012, 8:04 am

Wamo wrote:I think it's an issue with combat pets. When you phase for pet battles, it phases you and not your pet, so you can easily be taken out of the battle due to the mobs noticing and attacking your pet. Just dismiss your pet and you should be fine. :)

Sorry about your loss, I'm sure you'll get another chance at a rare!
you know I didn't really think of that... he may have attacked my elemental while I was battling... I'll have to make sure he's dismissed then ><. I hope I do get another chance at that bugger! Two days I was looking for it. I know it's not that long, but still :oops:

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » November 8th, 2012, 11:54 am

aawww that sucks so hard :cry:
I remember farming that baby ape, wasn't even for a rare, I just wanted one, any quality.. took me like 2-3 weeks of logging on and off on toons over 3 servers to FINALLY see it rain
I can only imagine the frustration >.<

I did not think about the fact that these fight breaking thing could be caused by pets either! but it does make sense, I'll make sure to dismiss my pet when Im battling with my hunter! thanks for the tip :)

Clatong
Top Rater
Pet Score:3620
BattleTag®:clatong#1432
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Clatong » November 8th, 2012, 12:20 pm

I agree, it seems to only happen with a combat pet. I've only been pulled out of a pet battle when I've forgotten to dismiss my pet first, and my priest has never been pulled out.

When I don't feel like clearing the area, and don't have my combat pet active, I can run/fly in, hit Shadowmeld to drop combat (or vanish on my rogue) and initiate the pet battle from stealth. It's worked perfectly for me so far!

Kelldorn
Pet Score:4353
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Kelldorn » November 8th, 2012, 3:22 pm

I've only ever had it done on my mage with her Water Elemental out. As such, I very rarely do any pet battles with her anymore, as I always forget to dismiss the pet.

:(

Cercio

Post by Cercio » November 8th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Thats odd any time I've ever been knocked out of a pet battle from wild mobs or other players (being on a pvp server truely sucks for pet battles) the mob disapears then reapears within 30 seconds or so, never had one despawn then not come back. I am also a hunter and always have my pet out.

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » November 8th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Yes, pets don't phase with you. My nephew not only had this happen a lot, but he had a tenacity pet with thunderstomp. So, his pet would get attacked, then it would thunderstomp and and kill the battle pet. He eventually learned to put the pet away or kill things around it. But he lost several that way in the beginning.

Direbane

Post by Direbane » November 8th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Well, now I can stop wondering about this. I now also owe my partner an apoogy...he's gonna love that. Drat.

He's been telling me that throughout his various pet collecting efforts he's been attacked, mid-battle, by mobs and thus losing his pet battles. I've been telling him that's not the way it works, since we phase out during a pet battle.

He insisted up and down that it's happened, and I kept telling him he must have been doing something wrong that he was just missing.

Yeah...he plays a hunter. It's the pet. I didn't know that the combat pets stayed visible to the world and thus are attackable even if you're technically phased out.

I'll let him know to dismiss his pet if he's going to be working on pet battles, after I go eat some crow.

Jrallen01
Pet Score:7930
Realm:Mannoroth-us

Post by Jrallen01 » November 8th, 2012, 10:59 pm

I take a night elf and shadowmeld, or my rogue. I stealth when I battle.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » November 9th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Now I know why I've seen some hunter pets without hunters, lol
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Safina
Top Rater

Post by Safina » November 9th, 2012, 6:17 pm

WOOOT After enough patience and sat there while watching shows it rained again and I GOT IT!!! I didn't have my pet out so no battle take out ^^.

Post by Guest » November 9th, 2012, 6:33 pm

Safina wrote:WOOOT After enough patience and sat there while watching shows it rained again and I GOT IT!!! I didn't have my pet out so no battle take out ^^.
Congrats!

Sesamee
Pet Score:7258
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Sesamee » November 9th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Lysi wrote:Now I know why I've seen some hunter pets without hunters, lol
On pve servers do you just phase completely out and are invisible to others? If so I can see how this would look funny to passersby! A poor lonely hunter pet all alone! :lol:

I really do wish this would get fixed though. For those of us on active pvp servers it's a guaranteed gank several times a day. I don't mind being gankable while pet battling on a pvp server but having to spend a precious few seconds recalling our pets while getting the crap beat out of us puts pet classes at a serious disadvantage. I can't believe this is working as intended and I hope it gets fixed soon. Our pets need to phase with us! No more lonely hunter pets or mob magnents that get us pulled out of a pet battle by little lvl 5 upstart mob!!! :lol: