S/S Gilnean Raven...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us
S/S Gilnean Raven...

Post by Abashera » November 23rd, 2013, 4:00 am

Does it exist?

I just leveled up another Worgen out of the starting zone, went straight to the pet tamer/vendor, and got yet another B/B raven. This is the third one! I have yet to see an S/S on the AH. I'm beginning to wonder if anything other than B/B exists. It takes about four hours to level from 1 to 13, with no breaks. FRUSTRATED! :(

(Edit: I just checked the auction house. There are two Gilnean Ravens. Both B/B.)

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: S/S Gilnean Raven...

Post by Poofah » November 23rd, 2013, 4:30 am

Gilnean Raven was originally available as BB, PB, PS, and SS, but in 5.2 it was limited to BB. So, ever since 5.2, any new Raven is BB.

If you want a non-BB raven, do not bother leveling worgen characters. The only way to get one is via AH or trade. In 5.2 Bliz said they'd like to convert all the ravens to a single breed, but they haven't done anything about it since then.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » November 23rd, 2013, 8:44 am

What Poofah said. This is the reason P/S ravens go for so much cash these days. You can only buy them from someone who got one before the patch, and people are gambling that Blizz won't bother to normalise the breed of existing ravens as they said they intend to.

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » November 23rd, 2013, 9:17 am

Alternative is to get a [pet]crow[/pet] S/S or P/S

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » November 23rd, 2013, 5:00 pm

Thank you! This is (obviously) very helpful to know.

I would love to pay someone for a trade (I would pay a good price too), but then I'm afraid that if Blizz changes all of them to B/B I will have wasted my gold.

I have tried several add ons that tell you the breeds, and all the add ons are still out of date on this.

I have a S/S Crow. Unfortunately it doesn't have as good moves as the Gilnean. :(

But THANK YOU for saving me the time in farming it!

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » November 23rd, 2013, 5:38 pm

I guess people are hot for [ability]Nevermore[/ability]?

Most Gilneans and Crows Ive seen uses [ability]Call Darkness[/ability] + [ability]Nocturnal Strike[/ability]. Which is shared by both Gilnean Raven and the Crow. Rarely use it myself, as I hate missing Nocturnal Strike thanks to Darkness, happens so often. The -10% hit is a pain!

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » November 23rd, 2013, 10:33 pm

Luciandk wrote:Most Gilneans and Crows Ive seen uses [ability]Call Darkness[/ability] + [ability]Nocturnal Strike[/ability]. Which is shared by both Gilnean Raven and the Crow. Rarely use it myself, as I hate missing Nocturnal Strike thanks to Darkness, happens so often. The -10% hit is a pain!
But Darkness actually helps Nocturnal Strike as it blinds the opponent. Unless it's an Elemental of course...

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » November 24th, 2013, 1:33 am

Casca wrote:
Luciandk wrote:Most Gilneans and Crows Ive seen uses [ability]Call Darkness[/ability] + [ability]Nocturnal Strike[/ability]. Which is shared by both Gilnean Raven and the Crow. Rarely use it myself, as I hate missing Nocturnal Strike thanks to Darkness, happens so often. The -10% hit is a pain!
But Darkness actually helps Nocturnal Strike as it blinds the opponent. Unless it's an Elemental of course...
Have had it miss many times against non elementals.

Asphodael
Pet Score:5028
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Asphodael » November 24th, 2013, 11:30 am

Yep, the Darkness debuff applies to the Crow/Raven as well. I've had strings of Nocturnal Strike missing 3+ times in a row.

Slick
Pet Score:1771
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Slick » November 25th, 2013, 12:36 pm

It should not miss if Darkness is up and the opponent is a non-elemental. If it does miss screenshot it and post it in the bug forum. As the ability states it will always hit if the target is blinded and Darkness applies Blinded to any non-elemental. So even if you're fighting a Death Adder that puts his 100% miss on you, if Darkness is up it should hit.

Mirres
Pet Score:1815
BattleTag®:Mirres#1719
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Mirres » November 25th, 2013, 12:56 pm

I think blizzard is not going to "fix" raven breeds, as they are introducing the pet breeding in WoD.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » November 25th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I too was affected by not knowing they removed the breeds other than B/B. I ran 7 worgans, of various levels, over to grab this pet hoping for the S/S, before I wised up and did some checking and found out it no longer comes in S/S. After 7 B/B's I got the hint that RNG was likely not the problem. :P

With 2 accounts, I boxed 2 through the Gilnean starter area and 2 through the Death Knight starter area and had 3 I already had leveled at various stages in level. So yeah now I have 4 more worgans on top of the 3 I had that will end up being mules. Not to mention I have 7 B/B ravens now too. :P
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » November 25th, 2013, 11:37 pm

I think the always hits if blind is just another way of saying 100% hit chance. If that is from darkness the 10% debuff still applies making it 90% and it can miss. If it is something like the blind from a lantern it always hits. Yeah that is confusing but that seems to be the way it works.

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » November 26th, 2013, 12:09 pm

I'm pretty sure I never had it miss for me in combination with Darkness, unless I used it on an Elemental. But maybe I just got extremely lucky so far.

Vivienne
Pet Score:13448
BattleTag®:Sassafras#1459
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Vivienne » November 27th, 2013, 11:54 am

Kpb321 wrote:I think the always hits if blind is just another way of saying 100% hit chance. If that is from darkness the 10% debuff still applies making it 90% and it can miss. If it is something like the blind from a lantern it always hits. Yeah that is confusing but that seems to be the way it works.

If that is truly the case, then they need to change the tool-tip to reflect the possibility to miss with Darkness active. It's misleading and I did have Nocturnal Strike miss today while Darkness was active. First time that happened to me.

0:36:19] [Pet Battle]: Round 6
[10:36:20] [Pet Battle]: [Nocturnal Strike] missed enemy Pounder.
[10:36:24] [Pet Battle]: [Sandstorm] dealt 381 damage to your Gilnean Raven.
[10:36:24] [Pet Battle]: Your Gilnean Raven died.
[10:36:26] [Pet Battle]: [Darkness] is no longer the weather.
[10:36:26] [Pet Battle]: [Sandstorm] changed the weather to [Sandstorm].

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » November 27th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Vivienne wrote:
Kpb321 wrote:I think the always hits if blind is just another way of saying 100% hit chance. If that is from darkness the 10% debuff still applies making it 90% and it can miss. If it is something like the blind from a lantern it always hits. Yeah that is confusing but that seems to be the way it works.

If that is truly the case, then they need to change the tool-tip to reflect the possibility to miss with Darkness active. It's misleading and I did have Nocturnal Strike miss today while Darkness was active. First time that happened to me.

0:36:19] [Pet Battle]: Round 6
[10:36:20] [Pet Battle]: [Nocturnal Strike] missed enemy Pounder.
[10:36:24] [Pet Battle]: [Sandstorm] dealt 381 damage to your Gilnean Raven.
[10:36:24] [Pet Battle]: Your Gilnean Raven died.
[10:36:26] [Pet Battle]: [Darkness] is no longer the weather.
[10:36:26] [Pet Battle]: [Sandstorm] changed the weather to [Sandstorm].

Pounder is a Elemental and due to that he was not blinded by darkness.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Shagina
Top Rater
Pet Score:3992
Realm:Grim Batol-eu

Post by Shagina » November 27th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Interesting fact: It can still be dodged, even if it can't miss (on blinded targets).

Droodics
Top Rater
Pet Score:3692
BattleTag®:Frozenlore#2917
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Droodics » November 28th, 2013, 9:54 am

I found last night when I did Celestial Tournament that Sully "The Pickle" McLeary's pet, Rikki has a 25% dodge buff. Even with "hits everytime on blinded targets" tooltip it misses 1/3 fights.

Muld
Pet Score:589
Realm:Nordrassil-eu

Post by Muld » November 28th, 2013, 10:52 am

Hi all, am new here and reading this thread made me realise how desirable my SS Raven is (got it back in 2009 or something I think, before we could even pet battle).

I'd be open to a trade / sale on EU if the deal is right :).