Elemental's Passive, more a disadvantage?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Vereonix
Pet Score:1187
Realm:Sunstrider-eu
Elemental's Passive, more a disadvantage?

Post by Vereonix » October 29th, 2012, 7:58 am

I've been wondering about this since I first read it weeks ago, the Passive is "Elementals ignore all weather effects" looking at most weather effects I can't tell if this is more of a disadvantage and you're gimping yourself.
For example, alot of elementals have magic abilities does this mean when using Moonfire or Startfall, which increases all magic damage it won't be increased if the damage was dealt by an elemental? The same I think would be the case for the increased healing from the weather? I think for this is does increase, but would like to clarify.

Another one which I'm unsure on is Arcane storm which means pets cannot be Stunned or Rooted, so I use this, now the enemey can't be rooted etc but I can -.-'

I know there are damaging dot type weather effects like Scorched earth which would make this passive good, but for the most part I don't see it being so good.

~Thanks

Hydramith
Top Rater
Pet Score:3037
Realm:Doomhammer-eu

Re: Elemental's Passive, more a disadvantage?

Post by Hydramith » October 29th, 2012, 8:33 am

I agree. In general the passive elemental ability makes no sense.
It'd be more logical to only ignore the negative effects, and actualy let the positive effects have an effect on the elementals.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » October 29th, 2012, 11:12 am

I feel the same. Maybe they'll modify it to only be negative weather effects.

Darkke
Top Rater
Pet Score:7826
Realm:Daggerspine-us

Post by Darkke » October 30th, 2012, 3:34 pm

The biggest use I could see would be combining Elemental weather immunity with either "Call Darkness" or "Scorched Earth".

For Call Darkness: "A shadow falls across the battlefield, dealing 15 Humanoid damage and turning the weather to Darkness for 9 rounds. During Darkness, all pets are considered Blinded and all healing received is reduced by (an amount)"

So for Call Darkness, we have a battlefield reduction to Accuracy and Healing as a weather effect. Unfortunately, no elementals currently have the ability, so it would require a switch for the benefit offensively. Defensively, if there is a team built on Darkness/Blindness (I think some stuns get boosted to guaranteed, like on the Pandarian Monk pet) an elemental might be enough to break the team comp.

For Scorched Earth: "Scorches the ground, dealing 15 Dragonkin damage and dealing 4 Dragonkin damage to all active pets each round for 9 rounds. During Scorched Earth, all pets count as Burning."

I don't think this combo is quite as strong offensively, which is probably why you find some elemental pets with scorched earth, as it isn't as game breaking. Now, there are some abilities that cause extra damage based on your opponent being burning, like Conflagrate. Defensively, your elemental pet will not be burning, which gives them extra utility against teams based around Scorched Earth and the benefits that it grants.

Defensively, you can counter these abilities without an elemental, by using another weather effect. With some of the powerful combos based around Moonfire and its weather effect, I think I will be using Magic pets as opposed to an elemental unless I'm building a team around one of these two moves.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 30th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Hydramith wrote:It'd be more logical to only ignore the negative effects, and actualy let the positive effects have an effect on the elementals.
Would love if this were implemented, but I could see this making elementals really powerful. Maybe overpowered.

Perhaps instead of completely ignoring weather types, they only ignore 50%? Or they don't ignore positive weather effects (like bonus healing), but to balance that out, they can only ignore 50% of negative weather.

I don't usually run with a group healer on my teams, so my Fel Flame ignoring weather doesn't really bother me all that much. I find it extremely useful against Grand Master Aki's dragon when it uses the Call Lightning weather.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Sesamee
Pet Score:7258
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Sesamee » October 30th, 2012, 5:35 pm

I agree! There are positives but just as many negatives to this passive so in the end in turns out to be a wash. Something no other pet family has to deal with. I don't see how ignoring the negative effects would make it OP. I hope they do this soon.

Slambert
Pet Score:2983
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Slambert » November 5th, 2012, 11:53 am

Agree Agreeee! :) It's funny to me that some of the earth elementals can cast sandstorm and give the other team free damage reduction hehe, and I frown in general on the idea of using a pet for only one ability and then swapping them to take advantage of it on another pet.

Norbertine
Pet Score:2791
Realm:Elune-eu

Post by Norbertine » November 20th, 2012, 4:06 pm

This passive is interesting when I cast "Call Lightning" with my tranquil mechanical yeti. I combine it with the turrets from my clockwork gnome, then I send an elemental with many dots like the ruby sapling. The ruby sapling doesn't suffer from lightning however the ennemy has to bear a lot of damages at the same time.
But against a shield it's not very useful ...
Any other idea ?