Share pet collecting news and advice.
Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us
Pet 'Patience and Perseverence' posts

Post by Tekulve2012 » November 20th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Thread purpose :

(1)To provide a forum for people to read about other's struggles to finally acquire a tough pet and their tips and coping methods along the way and (2) To allow people to toot their horn or pat their own back about nabbing that long awaited companion.

I'm thrilled to have read that final Dalaran book and to get that teleport invite to get my very own Kirin Tor Familiar ! I spent many summer and fall WOW sessions flying around Dalaran and doing pet pvp awaiting those pesky books and now the slog is over (long self back pat)....I strongly suggest targeting server restarts for doing this quest and keep at it!

Happy collecting all - would love to know your challenges, victories and tips

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Re: Pet 'Patience and Perseverence' posts

Post by Kendrah » November 20th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Tekulve2012 wrote:I'm thrilled to have read that final Dalaran book and to get that teleport invite to get my very own Kirin Tor Familiar ! I spent many summer and fall WOW sessions flying around Dalaran and doing pet pvp awaiting those pesky books and now the slog is over (long self back pat)....I strongly suggest targeting server restarts for doing this quest and keep at it!
I'm missing two of those books. Server restarts aren't helping either. I was lucky enough to have two happen for me back to back (the next day, I mean) and they still spawn only those other books. I'm feeling like I should just give up. So frustrating! :| Those gag books make me want to cry. The person who thought up with is sadistic. I'm surprised it isn't part of the 'insanity' title. :lol:

Tealke
Pet Score:2739
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Tealke » November 20th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Currently waiting for Garnia.... that pretty much sums it up.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » November 20th, 2013, 5:24 pm

I will have to say my most hated process of getting a pet will have to be the 250 pet PVP wins I will need to do to get the [pet]Stunted Direhorn[/pet]. I hate the feeling I get when I spend 40 fights to get 10 wins. A few times it's all I do for an entire night and when done I refuse to even bother with anything else due to my irritation of what an awful time sink that is. I am at a grand total of 30/250 and literally shudder when I think about trying for more. I am horrible at it, I don't care to learn how to do it right, I just stick 3 pets out there and hope I win. I have never given my info out to anyone but this is one time where I would be tempted if someone else wanted to get the remaining 220 wins. Tempted but ultimately I would resist, because the safety of the entire account means more to me than getting the wins. The really sad thing about the matches is I often have a goal of just killing 1 of the other team before all 3 of mine are dead. (I have failed)

If I ever get all 250 wins I will guaranty my count will stay at 250 till I close down my account. If the Dev team ever sees fit to add a second pet obtained from Pet PVP wins I will close down all 3 accounts I pay for. If my daughter disagrees she would be more than welcome to pay for hers. :P
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » November 20th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Morlis wrote:I will have to say my most hated process of getting a pet will have to be the 250 pet PVP wins I will need to do to get the [pet]Stunted Direhorn[/pet].
I hear ya. I am at slightly more pvp wins (52 out of 250), but I expect that I will eventually bite the bullet and get the final achievement for 5k wins... one of these days. I keep picking up that stupid pet pvp weekly quest, only to have it vanish from my quest log... sometimes on the same day I pick it up. I have only managed to complete it twice before it did that.

Even more than the pet battle pvp crap, what I hate the most is the Brawler's Guild. I have managed to get to rank 3 with only 4 fights to go before I can get the pet and if I ever do get to that point, I will shake the dust of the place from my feet, never to return. I swear, the only reason I was able to complete the last fight I won was because it bugged out and there was someone else in the arena with me.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » November 20th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Morlis wrote:I will have to say my most hated process of getting a pet will have to be the 250 pet PVP wins I will need to do to get the [pet]Stunted Direhorn[/pet].
I'm in the same boat and it makes me almost literally sick whenever I think about it. I only have 2 wins under my belt (out of 4 measly games total), so I'm considerably behind and will be for a while.

It's just not fun for me. I've tried it a little and read up on strategies, but I just cannot find any joy in pet PVP. I may be stuck at 2 wins forever and my little direhorn family will never be complete. *sigh*
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » November 20th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Quintessence wrote: I'm in the same boat and it makes me almost literally sick whenever I think about it. I only have 2 wins under my belt (out of 4 measly games total), so I'm considerably behind and will be for a while.

It's just not fun for me. I've tried it a little and read up on strategies, but I just cannot find any joy in pet PVP. I may be stuck at 2 wins forever and my little direhorn family will never be complete. *sigh*
Its pretty awfully boring. Even when you're winning. You just want it to be done with. I put it off for so long, till I had nothing left to do pet-wise. Then I ground them out as quickly as possible. I will never be looking back.

The hardest part was just deciding to go do it. Once I forced myself to sit down and do it instead of procrastinating by doing other things in-game, I was able to get into a groove.

Skyquake
MVP
Pet Score:4379
BattleTag®:Seamus#1218
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Skyquake » November 20th, 2013, 7:02 pm

I am not a gamer. I have really poor small-motor coordination and don't react very swiftly. I don't mind a grind and I love the more cereberal parts of WoW (i.e., gold-making), but I haven't even run a MoP normal yet. I have schemes in mind for Hopling, Lashtail Hatchling, and even conceivably Perky Pug. But I am stuck on Ixx for the Brawler pet and I am starting to think I may never get him: I can "stay out of the fire" or I can DPS, but not both. I've tried about 20 times and it's not even close.

Shinii
Top Rater
Pet Score:5470
BattleTag®:Shini#1888
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Shinii » November 20th, 2013, 7:28 pm

I used to do the PVP battles but it stopped when it bugged out and would not give me credit for PVP wins

i have styopped since then and tried to resume. good news i am now getting credit. bad news i am losing alot.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » November 20th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Quintessence wrote:I'm in the same boat and it makes me almost literally sick whenever I think about it.
Kind of like me and archeology, which is a large part of why I didn't play for most of Cata.

Except in this case, you can actually work towards what you want.

Like any big grind, set yourself sanity limits, and then tough it out.

Way back when I was trying to collect all pets for all toons, I would set myself a limit of 2 hours when whelpling hunting to stop the mind-numbing boredom of marathon camp sessions. I eventually got all 4 colors for 15 toons.

For this you could set a goal of 5 wins in a day, or 15 max games a day, but maybe keep going if you have a good streak or feel up to continuing. Then set an outer limit of 20 or 25 wins a week so you don't feel forced to do it every day. You'll make steady progress, even though it'll still take a while to get the cute lil' green dino.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » November 20th, 2013, 7:53 pm

Tiggindy wrote: I eventually got all 4 colors for 15 toons.
You farmed 60 whelps? O.o

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » November 20th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Man, I'm not even up to thinking about the pvp fights... I'm still fixated on the Viscous Horror. I'd rather leave that poor direhorn until the very last pet I get pre-expansion. PvP of any kind is not really my forte, I'm kind of awful at it.

Viscous Horror, well, I'm not getting it through raiding. My guild can field enough people for a 5man heroic on a good day. That leaves saving up money, on the right realm too. Which in my case means leveling up a ton of cheapish pets, stuff like raiding with leashes pets and such. Yeah, they only sell for maybe 1k higher than the lvl 1s and once I've exhausted tamers for the day it's a lot of grinding... but at least I can sell those 25th lvl pets while my 1st lvls almost always come back unsold. I did an estimate, at current prices, with current sales, already having 1/4th of it's current market value.. I'll have enough for the viscous horror in 40 weeks. :shock: I clearly need to step up my game.

For now I just focus on getting 5k more, every 5k more is a minor celebration with a luxury beverage of some sort in RL. I sell slowly, but I console myself that it's fairly steady and the occasional burst is more common than slumps in sales. I never thought I'd own all of the TCG pets, but now I do, so this too I can do in the fullness of time!

Astraldr0p
Pet Score:4511
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Astraldr0p » November 21st, 2013, 2:40 am

I too am going to work towards the higher end of pet collecting. I started looking at Pet PVP for the direhorn and, groan, it's the last pet on my list to get, really.

So, yea, it's going to be a long grind to get the gold for at least three pets: the ethereal soul-trader, spectral cub and viscous horror

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » November 21st, 2013, 3:38 am

I'm pretty bad at PVP too. I set a goal of 1 win a day and sometimes it takes me 10 fights to get it. Sometimes when the opponent does something stupid and decides to run off, I will do another.
I usually stick to one battle team and do the same moves every time. But with so many different teams I come across, at least one is weak against it so it doesn't take me too long. I'm almost halfway to my 250 wins.

Eekmeister
Pet Score:2873
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Eekmeister » November 21st, 2013, 5:39 am

Fishing Mr. Pinchy and having him drop the Magical Crawdad was fairly easy. I wasn't really time conscious so whether I was fishing for one hour or four, I have no idea. The crawdad was from the first wish so I was very happy that the grind didn't suck. But that Black Tabby Cat does not seem to want to drop. I've farmed with four toons for lord knows how long and so far and nutthin.

I stopped pvp-ing when stupid Blizzard reset my quest. It had my five wins sitting there for WEEKS and then one day poof! They were gone. After that, was too pissed to bother continuing. I may try again some day, but as of now, whatever to random pet pvp. I'd rather play people I know.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » November 22nd, 2013, 7:19 am

I had the reset issue at one point until I realized they reset for me on tuesday...maintanence day so I try and knock my 10 wins out early in the day if I'm off work. I have over 200 wins so want to go ahead and try to hit my 250 since I'm close. Naos is over at Tillers trying to get some rep...haven't been level 90 long so trying to figure some of that out and get more pets. I will say I'm glad I waited until I hit level 90 then ported mage to get flying lessons because its made it easier to get around and not die as much lol !! Like everyone else will need to do some pet levelling to get ready for the breeding.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » November 22nd, 2013, 10:44 am

Gilneas wrote:
Tiggindy wrote: I eventually got all 4 colors for 15 toons.
You farmed 60 whelps? O.o
Oh, goodness no. :oops:

I had 16 each of the azure and crimson, and 15 each of the emerald and dark. I probably farmed around 45. I bought most of the dark whelplings that I had (10ish?), plus a couple of the emerald and a few crimson. OTOH, I farmed all but all but 1 of the azures, and was calculating things like wph (whelplings per hour) using CDs as the timers to figure out the average drop. :roll: :lol:

Before the consolidation, since I still have my spreadsheet for some reason (but I don't know when the last update was, well before MoP anyway). I had 2193 pets across 18 toons, for an average of almost 122 pets per toon, with a "low" of 80 on the goblin that I never played, to a high of over 200 with Tigg. But many were the account wide pets from the store, CE's, and other things.

Of course, when MoP finally dropped and I could cage and sell all my spares, (*edit* I got rid of all the vendor/common pets, and caged and sold all the rest. It was still like 750+ pets.) I was very briefly very rich, so I had a yak fairly early in the expansion, and went around and bought a lot of the other frivolous money sink items from the prior expansions as well.

So, unexpected payoff from patience/perseverance to fit the theme of the thread. ;)

Amargodreams
Top Rater
Pet Score:3933
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Amargodreams » November 22nd, 2013, 11:32 am

Oh the struggles let me count the ways:

Pet collecting has always been a favorite of mine. I tend to be a bit obsessive about my pets. Think about them, dream about them, talk non stop about them. I've ran into quite a few struggles along the way. I have always been one of those people that just has terrible rng luck.

Fishing up that stupid rat! Don't even get me started on that one and how many toons fished thier hearts out for hours after it. I gave up and bought it. Still go there to level fishing cuz i want the achievement. but happy to have my rat.

My lastest issue with collecting, is pet battles in general. They are very boring to me. Don't get me wrong I love my collection and it's size. However,as the amount of pets left to collect dwindles down, I feel obligated to catch the best rarity and do all the tamers/fables daily to get stones for upgrades of non-wild pets. And leveling them too boot!! I takes me 2-3 hours to get the tamers done because i can't seem to sit through a single fight. I try to level 2-3 pets a day but even then it feels like I haven't done that much. Lately, I've been finding myself spending 9am-5pm just doing pet battles and being so tired/bored I neglect any of my other daily wow activities (such as farms) and no time to level my alts. I've leveled 1 alt through pet battles, but that gets really old really fast. Don't think I could do it again. And sure I don't "have" to get all pets max rarity and level. But damn my collection feels incomplete without it!

Asphodael
Pet Score:5028
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Asphodael » November 22nd, 2013, 1:59 pm

I'm at over 700 Tol'Vir solves and a very large amount of those was done before the various nerfs to make Arch faster/easier.

I refuse to pay for the claw after all the hours I've spent farming it but doing Arch literally sickens me at this point.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » November 22nd, 2013, 3:17 pm

Asphodael wrote:I'm at over 700 Tol'Vir solves and a very large amount of those was done before the various nerfs to make Arch faster/easier.

I refuse to pay for the claw after all the hours I've spent farming it but doing Arch literally sickens me at this point.
I was in a very similar boat, and that's exactly what drove me to go make gold on a high-pop server. It's easily the happiest pet-related decision I've made. All those wasted Archy hours are already gone: going back to it was just a good way to waste more hours and make myself even more bitter about the whole thing.