Lost Pet??

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Azzeria
Pet Score:11210
Realm:Cenarius-us
Lost Pet??

Post by Azzeria » November 11th, 2013, 12:02 am

Okay, I have once again started doing achievements, but the now I seem to be in a little bit of a pickle. On account of the amount that needs to be collected, I am only collecting the Uncommon and Rares. But...when I find a common or poor in my collection, I release it...then...arrrggghhh, I just lost the rare in the list... So my question is this...do I just keep farming the same pets once again, and ONLY collect the green/blue?? I really don't want to end up with a bunch of poor quality pets for an achievment...thanks!!

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Re: Lost Pet??

Post by Maizing » November 11th, 2013, 12:25 am

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying... are you releasing the rares instead of the poor/common pets? When I was first starting to collect pets, I would take what I could get at first, then release any lower quality when I got an upgrade.

Are you using the add on Pet Journal Enhanced? If you are having trouble choosing the pet you want to release, that might help. You can set it so it hides your rares (and even your uncommon pets if you want to keep those). You can also set it so it only shows pets that you have 2 or 3 of. So... you can set it to hide rares, only show pets that you have multiples of, and then just release every pet it shows to clean up your collection.

Poxx
Pet Score:5148
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Poxx » November 11th, 2013, 7:05 am

Really your own personal choice if you don't want to complete the collection achievements with grey/white quality pets. I collected what quality I could get at first for the achievements, and went back later to get them all in rare quality.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » November 12th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Kinda hard to understand what you're talking about. Releasing a pet of whatever quality will only remove that pet from your collection. Any duplicates of that pet, regardless of quality, will be unaffected.

If you mean you "lose" it as in misplaced it in the list, perhaps sorting your collection by "Rarity" will help. It's how I arrange mine for easy browsing, anyway.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » November 12th, 2013, 3:17 pm

If you're referring to the achievements that require you to collect a certain number of uncommon and rare pets, releasing poor and common pets shouldn't affect them. Releasing any wild pet shouldn't affect any of your achievements, unless things have changed since I last completed them. Once you capture it, it should show that it's been captured.

If it has changed, though, then I recommend just capturing any quality of the pets to fulfill the "collect all of these" achievement. The achievement that requires you to collect rare and uncommon pets are non-specific, so you can go back and capture any higher quality pet and it will count towards that achievement.

In the end, collect in a way that's most comfortable for you. If you prefer only capturing a rare or uncommon of each wild pet to satisfy both achievements at the same time, go for it!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » November 12th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Azzeria wrote:Okay, I have once again started doing achievements, but the now I seem to be in a little bit of a pickle. On account of the amount that needs to be collected, I am only collecting the Uncommon and Rares. But...when I find a common or poor in my collection, I release it...then...arrrggghhh, I just lost the rare in the list... So my question is this...do I just keep farming the same pets once again, and ONLY collect the green/blue?? I really don't want to end up with a bunch of poor quality pets for an achievment...thanks!!
If I'm understanding you correctly, the wrong pets are going away when you release.

I did that early in the expansion once or twice, so now I always always check and double check before I click okay on the release.

Maybe rename the pet that you want to keep so you know for sure that it isn't the one you have selected for release.

Astraldr0p
Pet Score:4511
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Astraldr0p » November 12th, 2013, 9:20 pm

To be honest, I've never noticed if I lose credit. If you accidentally released a rare, you still have the opportunity to catch another rare.

I've always caught the first one I see and then I continue battling till I find a green or blue and I release the lower quality one. There have been times that I'd accidentally kill the rare I was attempting to catch but I wasn't really going after the zookeeper title.

I know a lot have the common/uncommon (quite frankly, I've learned the hard way that you can't get all the pets green and blue), and then stoning them or going back for a higher quality.

But really, it's up to you :) The rare is still out there even after you caught it

Jard
Pet Score:3579
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Jard » November 12th, 2013, 9:40 pm

If I had known how many upgrade stones were going to come my way from doing the trainer dailies while leveling all my to level 25 I wouldn't have wasted so much time trying to capture a blue version of so many pets. I ran out of pets to upgrade a while ago and now the stones are just stacking up for future use, hopefully.