Do all battlestone types have the same "drop rate"?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Bretonas
Top Rater
Pet Score:12312
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu
Do all battlestone types have the same "drop rate"?

Post by Bretonas » October 23rd, 2013, 2:49 am

I've been doing the MoP tamer dailys for quite a while now and always feel excited to open my 13 or 16 (if I do BoF as well) bags of pet supplies in hope for a stone.
Maybe I'm just very unlucky or this is not very random but majority of stones I get are for families where I only have rare pets already.
What I get A LOT is stones for: Undead, Humanoid, Dragonkin, Magic
What I hardly ever get is: Beast, Flying, Critter

But those are the ones that I need the most. It just seems weird, especially since there are so many more beast and critter pets in the game than for example undead or magic pets. I do know that I can trade them (3 for 1, yay!) but I'm just wondering if that's completely random or not. I can't remember the last time I got a Flying Battlestone while on the other hand I got like 5-6 Magic Battlestones in the last few weeks.
If it's not completely random is that because those beasts, critter etc. are actually available as rares (wild pets) while the others are not? Then again, the amount of cats, raptors, snakes and rabbits u only get as uncommon from vendor?

Idoru
Pet Score:3298
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Re: Do all battlestone types have the same "drop rate"?

Post by Idoru » October 23rd, 2013, 3:56 am

I would assume so.
The one I'm not getting is Dagonkin.

Index
Pet Score:12787

Post by Index » October 23rd, 2013, 4:02 am

RNG is RNG

Just last night, I got 2 critter and a flyer from my bags. First stones in 4-5 days :)

Kyozu
Top Rater
Pet Score:11184
BattleTag®:Yozora#2217
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Kyozu » October 23rd, 2013, 5:23 am

I haven't noticed any differences in "drop rate" for any particular family of stones, I get all of them regularly.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » October 23rd, 2013, 6:06 am

Bretonas wrote:It just seems weird, especially since there are so many more beast and critter pets in the game than for example undead or magic pets.
This, right here, is the key. It seems like you get tons of undead and humanoid stones because those were the first two families you finished upgrading, so those are the two that you start building extras first. OTOH, there are more beasts than any other family (followed by critters and fliers IIRC), so those families seem to drop the least.

I suggest you actually track the drop rates, you'll find they're all about the same.

My anecdotal evidence :roll: : After I finished upgrading my pets, I was still doing the dailies every day for quite a while to finish leveling. The result of that was that I had (on my alt) a bag full of stones, and I had roughly the same number of stones of each type.

Kind of like when I loaded up the pet attack tracker and find that (for the most part), the pet abilities really do hit around the expected % of the time... even though because of RNG and a moderate sample set you'll see some that hit more often (emerald bite up close to 92%) and those that hit less (Dive at 64-65%), but over the long term, even those will even out too.

Droodics
Top Rater
Pet Score:3692
BattleTag®:Frozenlore#2917
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Droodics » October 23rd, 2013, 8:18 am

RNG
I get a lot of critter, flying and magic, i have extras in my bag, what i dont get are undead, mechanical, and i need some 3+ undead for my Crate, Ghostly skull etc.
I get more flawless stones than undead/mechanical.

Post by Guest » October 23rd, 2013, 10:09 am

I'm not sure if it's related but once I reached 2500+ pet battles on my character, pet battles in the V4W (the valley) seemed to drop pet stones very commonly.

I received 2 Flawless Stones and 2 Critter stones in about 25 fights. (could just be luck).

I switched to another character (10 pet battles total) and stayed in V4W pet battling and received NO stones.

I returned to my main character (2500+) and received another critter stone within 10 battles.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » October 23rd, 2013, 7:49 pm

I have a friend who's been doing pet-battles longer than me, who told me she never gets Flawless Battle-Stones. The very 1st stone I ever got was a flawless. And I can't even recall how many I've gotten since—I've gotten that many. So basically it seems RNG is not being nice to her.

Bretonas
Top Rater
Pet Score:12312

Post by Bretonas » October 24th, 2013, 1:53 am

Hm, seems RNG doesn't like me to much either. At least they added the option to trade in 3 stones for 1 Marked Flawless one.
Jamesdevlin wrote:I have a friend who's been doing pet-battles longer than me, who told me she never gets Flawless Battle-Stones.
I never get those ones either. I get specific ones that I generally don't need. :cry:

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » October 24th, 2013, 5:56 am

Bretonas wrote: What I get A LOT is stones for: Undead, Humanoid, Dragonkin, Magic
What I hardly ever get is: Beast, Flying, Critter
This is what it feels like I get too. I have a whole ton of extra undead, humanoid, dragonkin, and magic stones, and I use the other three whenever I get them. I was kind of thinking, though, that it's because there's so much more beast/critters to spend them on so that you never go through them. You do go through the undead and dragonkin very fast, though. There (seems) to be only like 20 different types of them and hundreds of the beast/critter kinds.

Yesterday I got a beast, critter, and magic stone from the dailies but since I used the first two, I imagine I sort of forget that when looking at my stack of 10 magic stones. XD~

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » October 24th, 2013, 5:58 am

Bretonas wrote:Hm, seems RNG doesn't like me to much either. At least they added the option to trade in 3 stones for 1 Marked Flawless one.

Where do you get that? I was looking for that and can't find it so I thought it was just the unmarked stone from the Cele trial (three charms for an unmarked stone.)
Bretonas wrote:I never get those ones either. I get specific ones that I generally don't need. :cry:
I've never gotten one either. :cry: I did finally get my porcupette after months and months and months of dailies so I shouldn't cry too hard.

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » October 24th, 2013, 6:12 am

Kendrah wrote:Where do you get that?
Talk to the girl in Stormwind (or guy in Org) that you talked to to get the pet training in the first place.
Bretonas wrote:I've never gotten one either. :cry: I did finally get my porcupette after months and months and months of dailies so I shouldn't cry too hard.
The general stones you get from the world fights are very very rare. In all the fights I've done, I've gotten maybe 5 of those.

OTOH, fighting in areas for the stone types I need has yielded more of the family specific (but they're by no means common).

I'd suggest just finding a good farm spot in Krasarang for Beast, or VoFW for critter. I actually finished critter before some of the other families.

If you've got gold, you can also buy stonings from other peeps for your tradeable pets.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » October 25th, 2013, 2:39 pm

Tiggindy wrote:The general stones you get from the world fights are very very rare. In all the fights I've done, I've gotten maybe 5 of those.

OTOH, fighting in areas for the stone types I need has yielded more of the family specific (but they're by no means common).

I'd suggest just finding a good farm spot in Krasarang for Beast, or VoFW for critter. I actually finished critter before some of the other families.
Haha! General stones are very rare for you? I've never gotten a general stone ... ever. I've gotten maybe four of a specific breed from world battles. With 180+ pets at level 25 and one pet away from safari title, I'm not going to hold my breath trying to farm them. ;P I just have really, really, really bad drop luck.
Tiggindy wrote:If you've got gold, you can also buy stonings from other peeps for your tradeable pets.
Nah. I do my dailies daily and use what I get from the bags. If I'm patient, the stone I need will drop and know that I know where to turn in my extra stones, it'll go faster. Besides, it's my wild pets that need the stones. I think I've gone through my tradeables.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » October 25th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Tiggindy wrote:My anecdotal evidence :roll: : After I finished upgrading my pets, I was still doing the dailies every day for quite a while to finish leveling. The result of that was that I had (on my alt) a bag full of stones, and I had roughly the same number of stones of each type.
This has been my experience too. It just seems like you get fewer beast, critter and flying stones before you have gotten everything to rare because there are so many more of those to upgrade.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » October 25th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Kendrah wrote:
Bretonas wrote:Hm, seems RNG doesn't like me to much either. At least they added the option to trade in 3 stones for 1 Marked Flawless one.

Where do you get that? I was looking for that and can't find it so I thought it was just the unmarked stone from the Cele trial (three charms for an unmarked stone.)
You get those from the main pet tamer in Stormwind (near the Cataclysm portals) or Orgrimmar (near the zeppelin tower to Undercity), depending on your faction.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » October 25th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Right now I have:

1 Flaweless Battle-Stone
1 Beast Battle-Stone
2 Elemental Battle-Stones
3 Aquatic Battle-Stones.

. . .I don't need Beast, Elemental, or Aquatic stones. The ones I do need: Dragonkin, Undead, and Magical, aren't dropping for me.

Isn't that just the way it seems to work? :/

And I just hate the idea of trading the three aquatic in Ogrimmar for one un-marked. It seems that everyone I talk to needs dragonkin and undead. Makes me wonder if they drop less frequently.

I also notice that when I'm fighting aquatic I get more aquatic stones. And when I'm fighting beasts I seem to get more beast stones. Maybe it's just coincidence; but maybe it's not. (?)

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » October 26th, 2013, 7:37 am

Kendrah wrote:Haha! General stones are very rare for you? I've never gotten a general stone ... ever. I've gotten maybe four of a specific breed from world battles. With 180+ pets at level 25 and one pet away from safari title, I'm not going to hold my breath trying to farm them. ;P I just have really, really, really bad drop luck.
Well, before accusing me of having good luck in this, consider that I have ALL pets at 25, and nearly all the pets. Then consider that I was leveling most of them quite a ways through world battles... IIRC I stopped doing world battles when I had finished upgrading them all to rare, and the remaining pets were level 19 (or 21 or 23); I had maybe 100 pets left to finish leveling to 25 at that point

My point being that I've done a lot (a LOT a LOT) of world fights and I've gotten maybe 5 general stones.
You haven't hit the 5k battles mark (unless I'm looking at the wrong armory). I hit that long enough ago that I don't even see it when I look back.

That isn't to say I don't have luck, but my luck seems to be in getting the pets, which I'm really thankful for.
Kendrah wrote:Nah. I do my dailies daily and use what I get from the bags. If I'm patient, the stone I need will drop and know that I know where to turn in my extra stones,.
That's the better way to do it. If you've got the patience, then you'll get there eventually. Don't be obsessive like me.

Moonay
Pet Score:2463
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Moonay » October 26th, 2013, 10:48 am

I have over 3000 won pet battles (although none are pvp, mostly battling wild pets and some the daily quests), and have never gotten any stone from any of them. All of my stones have come from the bags you get from the daily quests. I'm guessing that the RNG really doesn't like me.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » October 26th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Tiggindy wrote:My point being that I've done a lot (a LOT a LOT) of world fights and I've gotten maybe 5 general stones.
You haven't hit the 5k battles mark (unless I'm looking at the wrong armory). I hit that long enough ago that I don't even see it when I look back.
But isn't that the truest definition of luck (aka, keep doing it over and over again until you get what you want)? ;]

I'm almost at 3k battles. I'd probably have a whole lot more but I use that 'cancel pet fight' addon or I just resign when I'm hunting rares and a rare doesn't come up. I'm waaaay too lazy to do it your way.

I did happen to get a stone drop after finishing a battle with a trainer (not in the bag, I mean.) That was kind of funny. XD

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » October 28th, 2013, 8:17 am

I have been on DRY run ...got one stone ( beast 0 in over 2 weeks and I'm like really ??? To say the least I have lots of pets to upgrade and at this rate I will be retired from work before I get the upgrades done :evil: