Looking for a Levelling Spot

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Faelar
Top Rater
Pet Score:6744
BattleTag®:Faelar#1331
Realm:Thrall-us
Looking for a Levelling Spot

Post by Faelar » October 23rd, 2013, 10:10 am

Ok here is what I am trying to do. I have 2 goals here. I want to level my 80 characters to 90 through pet battling while at the same time levelling pets I have from 16-24 to level 25.

I have been using Valley of the 4 winds fighting random critter/aquatic packs and it has been going well enough but I am looking for a little variety. I am seeking a spot that can provide these things:

-Safe area for non level 90 character
-Pets in the area must be 23-25 so I can get as much exp as possible on wins.

And that is really the 2 things I am looking for. I have a near endless supply of pet bandages and plenty of pet treats I am using to make this go quicker. I'd rather just level up 3 random pets together instead of power-levelling but I am open to those options if it is done with just one 25 pet and 2 tag a longs. The spot I use now isn't so bad but I get tired of the pets using survival and other methods to just delay things a bit.

Anyways looking for some feedback, thanks all.
Edit: I do nearly every pet daily as well to speed this process along so looking for non-dailies here

Skyquake
MVP
Pet Score:4379
BattleTag®:Seamus#1218
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Re: Looking for a Levelling Spot

Post by Skyquake » October 23rd, 2013, 11:19 am

You might look at the Dragonbone Hatchlings next to Wyrmrest Temple in Dragonblight. They're level 22-23, but basically exist in limitless quantities. Balance the loss in experience per battle against the fact that downtime between fights is at most a few seconds. Just a thought.

Faelar
Top Rater

Post by Faelar » October 23rd, 2013, 11:21 am

Hmm yeah I remember the spot, I'll give it a whirl. I do remember the sheer amount of pets there and that is a nice advantage to have.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » October 23rd, 2013, 11:21 am

How many alts are we talking? If you have enough of them, you could camp them at the large spires on Timeless Isle and cycle between them -- there's no mobs there and usually 2-5 moths to fight, always lvl 25 and die rapidly to a Nexus Whelpling.

Faelar
Top Rater

Post by Faelar » October 23rd, 2013, 11:24 am

Just going to keep levelling alts until all of my pets are 25. I still got like 120ish pets to finish off. How good is the exp doing the nexus whelp strat as opposed to just levelling 3 random pets? Though I tend to level in hour chunks at a time (using a pet treat). I know you can save the buff but I just try to grind out as much levelling as I can stand before stopping heh.

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13815
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Killerkarl » October 23rd, 2013, 11:42 am

I've been using the dry river bed by Aki. There is a plateau right at the start of it where 5-6 water striders spawn almost as fast as you can kill them. Looks like it would be safe to park a low level character there.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206

Post by Poofah » October 23rd, 2013, 12:20 pm

Faelar wrote:How good is the exp doing the nexus whelp strat as opposed to just levelling 3 random pets?
With hat but no pet treat, it's about 2 fights to get a level @ 20, and 3 fights from 24 to 25. Arcane Storm + Mana Surge can kill the whole pack if all 3 Mana Surges hit, although the Skywisp moths have some potentially annoying CC. The fights can be anywhere from 5 to 10 turns, including the lowbie swap.

Faelar
Top Rater

Post by Faelar » October 23rd, 2013, 3:25 pm

Hmm that does sound really good, I'll give it a try right now

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » October 23rd, 2013, 7:58 pm

There's a VERY GOOD reason why fishermen don't give out their best fishing spots. The moment you do, you will regret it... that spot will be fished out before you can return, and say bye-bye to that awesome "secret" fishing spot.

That said, I'm going to give out [one of] my best leveling spots.

Dread Wastes 26.18 50.27 right in front of Gorespine.

You can stand in one spot and never move an inch, and battle all day long, and never run out of pets to battle. By the time you finish a battle, more Hedgehogs have already re-spawned.

Have fun. :D

Abashera

Post by Abashera » October 23rd, 2013, 8:05 pm

Killerkarl wrote:I've been using the dry river bed by Aki. There is a plateau right at the start of it where 5-6 water striders spawn almost as fast as you can kill them. Looks like it would be safe to park a low level character there.
This was one of my favorite spots. But for the past week everyone and their grandmother has been leveling there as well. Still a good spot all the same.

The reason the striders are soo good is that they are so predictable. The strider doesn't have a harsh bleed that will kill your low level pet on the back line. And if it hits Pump, just switch to your level 25 right away before it can kill your leveling pet. Then make sure to switch to leveling pet 2 before you finish up.

And I find the Emerald Proto-Drake to be the best for this. The reason is the strider's "Soothe". If he hits soothe, just hit "Emerald Dreem" and you will sleep through it. Otherwise you will be forced to do a pet swap.

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Ligre » October 24th, 2013, 1:35 am

I power level in the Vale. Three spots seem to be best:

- Between the Horde and Alliance main cities, like *directly* between, there are at least 2 or 3 spots where the aquatic pets respawn after 5 mins. or so post-kill. On the map, it'd be slightly southeast of the horde area, near where that elite boss crab is...and the line runs south toward the ally area, stopping right about where that named elite Yaungol is that drops the item that turns you into Mr. Smite.

- That dry riverbed that Killer mentioned that sorta leads from one of the former daily quest hubs over to Aki.

- The area right by No-No. LOADED with aquatics that spawn every bit as often as anything else in the zone. Like the Gorespine area, you'll basically never run out of wild aquatic/flyers to destroy.

Post by Guest » October 24th, 2013, 3:00 am

Jamesdevlin wrote:There's a VERY GOOD reason why fishermen don't give out their best fishing spots. The moment you do, you will regret it... that spot will be fished out before you can return, and say bye-bye to that awesome "secret" fishing spot.

That said, I'm going to give out [one of] my best leveling spots.

You can stand in one spot and never move an inch, and battle all day long, and never run out of pets to battle. By the time you finish a battle, more Hedgehogs have already re-spawned.

I found this by accident (my Mech pet wasn't 25 when I got there so leveled it there).
I personally prefer Valley of the Four Winds because (RNG?) I have received at least 12 Flawless Critter stones, 3 Flawless Anything stones, and 2 Flawless Beast stones just from pet battles. I've never received a stone in any of the other zones.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » October 24th, 2013, 7:59 am

Jamesdevlin wrote:Dread Wastes 26.18 50.27 right in front of Gorespine.
Similarly over by Nitun in the Jade Forest you have a goodly group of pets (though not as many as Gorespine) up by Kafi on Kun-Lai Summit (goat steak, anyone?), and down by Skitterer Xi'a in Krasarang Wilds (eternal striders galore). Forgot the critters by Xi'a aren't battle pets. And I had stun-effects backwards, so just ripped it out as irrelevant.
Last edited by Rendigar on October 24th, 2013, 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » October 24th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Jamesdevlin wrote: That said, I'm going to give out [one of] my best leveling spots.

Hehe, I've been doing the same spot. That's been my leveling spot for the last couple of levels before 90 for a while now. The best thing about it, aside from the fact that you can keep going forever, is that you'll be getting beast stones instead of critter or aquatic when you get the species specific stones. Very good spot. Unless you're on Uldum in which case it's cursed and will turn your pets from rare to poor. Honest. ;)

Abashera

Post by Abashera » October 25th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Haevlyn wrote:I personally prefer Valley of the Four Winds because (RNG?) I have received at least 12 Flawless Critter stones, 3 Flawless Anything stones, and 2 Flawless Beast stones just from pet battles. I've never received a stone in any of the other zones.
Just a guess but I would say it is RNG. I never level in Four Winds and pick up a lot of stones. Just picked up another aquatic about an hour ago in the Vail, to go with my other two aquatic stones. Lol, They make such a lovely triplet of useless stones. :P

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » October 28th, 2013, 12:54 pm

I leveled 7 characters from 80-90, most of them by either pvp que or in valley of the 4 winds.

The best spots in Vof4W will be the west side of your map, there is a place there which is a chicken farm.

Use this farm to be your center spot.

To the south, there are lots of farming area without any mobs, and there are many critters here.

Same as to the east side until you reach the pond or the river.

To the north, there is a big open area with some mobs - and lots of battle pets there also, however, most of these pets are aquatic, not good for leveling. But on the left side of this area, you will be going down the slope and there are tons of critters for you to kill, and just follow the path and you will go back up slope again to the chicken farm.

This is the best and fastest way for any 80 characters to farm to level 90.

The best battle pet you should have is a beast type with 305 attack power and 305 speed and with some sort of heal by kill skill.

Darting Hatching is my suggestion for this.

Abyl1
Pet Score:4019

Post by Abyl1 » October 28th, 2013, 1:18 pm

I use a spot just E of Aki, next to the buildings. There are 6-7 battle pets there, usually I can keep cycling through them as the first will respawn after my last kill. No mobs, only tough part was getting my lvl 60 over there from the shrine. Did a couple death runs and set my hearth to that little inn now. Have leveled from 40-64 so far just doing the Aki battle daily and then the little pet area.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » October 28th, 2013, 10:32 pm

I use the spot by the cricket legendary in Vally4winds. I used it to level 4 characters from 85.90. The beasts in dread wastes are a much better choice, but not sure how you get a lvl 85 there easily.

Wreckingbelle
MVP
Pet Score:3985
BattleTag®:leir#1124
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Wreckingbelle » October 29th, 2013, 10:52 am

all the spots mentioned that are near legendaries are good spots. ive personally used the one by no-no many times. my other favorite spot is right outside of sunsong ranch in the valley. you CAN get there at ANY level if you have a mage to port you and a friend with a flying mount. that's how i did it. :)

Post by Guest » October 29th, 2013, 11:05 am

Jamesdevlin wrote:
Haevlyn wrote:I personally prefer Valley of the Four Winds because (RNG?) I have received at least 12 Flawless Critter stones, 3 Flawless Anything stones, and 2 Flawless Beast stones just from pet battles. I've never received a stone in any of the other zones.
Just a guess but I would say it is RNG. I never level in Four Winds and pick up a lot of stones. Just picked up another aquatic about an hour ago in the Vail, to go with my other two aquatic stones. Lol, They make such a lovely triplet of useless stones. :P
Visit the Pet Vendor in Org/Stormwind and trade 3 Aquatic stones for 1 of any other.