Multiple or Single Team?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Multiple or Single Team?

Post by GilroyKilroy » October 16th, 2013, 12:22 pm

I notice when I pet battle that I will often run into the same team over and over again (I know this because they have pets with unique names.)

Personally I have about a dozen PvP teams configured and switch amongst them just about every fight. Not only to keep other players guessing but to keep it from getting boring.

What do you do?

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Re: Multiple or Single Team?

Post by Nagini » October 16th, 2013, 12:34 pm

i play an undead valk, scourged whelpling and a clockwork gnome for most of my pet pvp needs. i really enjoy playing this group, as they are some of my favorite pets, though my strategy does have some obvious (and often played) counters.
I usually just keep going thill i have my ten wins, though if i see that there is an opponent with a counter (aquatic pets are annoying,because of my double undead, so are forceswap/shield teams because of my teams general low speed) who i encounter alot, i will swap in other pets to help me do better. Especially late at night/really early you often end up facing the same team a few times in a row leading me to swap my pets around.

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » October 16th, 2013, 2:30 pm

I play around with various teams, though they usually end up facing the same teams repeatedly.

Going by actual results, by far the best approach to PvP pet battles is to be to just look at a thread about which pets are strongest in PvP, then just pick three random ones from the list. If your goal is to win X games for the quest or achievements, the only reason to ever change your team is if one of the pets gets nerfed.

Alien
MVP
Pet Score:5498
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Alien » October 16th, 2013, 2:47 pm

I have more than one team, but often I'll play a given team over and over once I create it, until I get bored.

I got lucky doing fishing quests and got two more baby crocolisks a few days ago. I leveled them up and created a themed baby crocolisk team. I haven't used anything else since, but I'm sure I'll get bored and go with something else soon.

Mwebly
Pet Score:10448
BattleTag®:Webly#1586
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Mwebly » October 16th, 2013, 3:03 pm

My current favorite team is an h/h [pet]Scourged Whelpling[/pet], [pet]Clockwork Gnome[/pet] and a p/p [pet]Yellow Moth[/pet].

I have a lightning team, a winter team, a darkness team, an explosion team, a speed team, a swapping team, A direhorn team and a few more too. I usually use what I am in the mood to play, but will switch to counter a team I run into a few times in a row, just to keep the opponents off-balance.

I try not to do more than 10 or so pvp battles in a row so i don't get bored. I like pet pvp, but want to keep it fresh since it is so simple I imagine I'll get tired of it if I do too much.

Braids
Pet Score:1754
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Braids » October 19th, 2013, 3:30 pm

I just use two fossilized raptors and change my third pet (Kun-Lai Runt, Magical Crawdad, or Stunted Direhorn) to farm wins. It stays pretty fun, and it's an easy way to get my ten wins for the week. Most teams just can't overcome the advantage of the undead turn and the spamming of bonestorm.

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » October 20th, 2013, 1:28 am

I have about 12 teams I rotate through, and sometimes just throw teams together on a whim. I ran a flyer team today, with a Brilliant Kaliri, a Skywisp Moth, and a Gilnean Raven, that ran off the 7 wins I needed for the weekly without a loss. Basically, it just depends on what I feel like that day that decides my team. Heck, I just threw that flyer team together on the spot and it worked out. Sometimes it's more fun to play with it then set yourself into a pattern. Still hate the PvP though. lol

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13311
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » October 20th, 2013, 11:20 am

With me it depends on the day! I have a very strong combo that normally can do the 10 games (not in a row) in a day. However some days I just throw a team together... One day I choose 3 oozes for fun! And sometimes it's a huge surprise and 10 games are done before I know it. And some days... Well lets just say I don't make it past 3! ;) Playing a team you know reliably wins is great... However you need to mix it up and have fun! :)