To lvl or Not

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Temperama
Pet Score:921
Realm:Icecrown-us
To lvl or Not

Post by Temperama » October 23rd, 2012, 8:21 am

How do you decide which pets to Lvl?

I have been doing a few here and a few there but no one past lvl 10 yet. I can't decide on which pets I want to lvl all the way, do I go for my favorites? The ones with the best ending stats? Ones I have now or wait till I get something better?

And how hard is it to Lvl all the way to 25? I only play a few hours a week due to work and well more work, Can I lvl my pets and my Alts at the same time and get done before the next release?

These are the hard questions folks.

Arvelayne
Pet Score:3784
Realm:Frostwhisper-eu

Re: To lvl or Not

Post by Arvelayne » October 23rd, 2012, 8:38 am

Hi,

At moment my logic is to level the pets I want to, whether they're the best ones or not. Yes there will be pets that will be better battlers than others, but in the end I want some connection with the ones I level. On a side note, I only ever name pets if I've got a reason to, or if I've leveled them.

The actual speed of leveling depends on whether you do it the normal way or the quick way - in other words take a low level and two high levels and give the low level the first hit, then switch in one of the others.

I personally prefer to level groups of pets the normal way, but if I need a specific pet, either for an achievement or for a purpose, like my Terrible Turnip for capturing (currently level 15), then I'll power level it.

I'll only start leveling pets for the sake of it once I'm on to the 75 level 25 pet achievement, as I don't think I would have enough of the ones I want to make that number.

A bit rambly, but hopefully helpful.

Arve,
altable.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 23rd, 2012, 12:54 pm

My original team choice was based on stats and strengths/weaknesses against starting area wild pets. I chose pets that had relatively high (yet somewhat even) attack and speed, as well as health. And since there are so many Critters, Beasts, Aquatic, and some Flying types when first leveling, I went with Flying, Beast, and Mechanical.

Now that I have many level 25s, I choose whichever rare quality pet I want to level up next. For the Tamer dailies, though, I pick pets that have strong attacks against the NPC's pets.

Time to level a pet varies from player to player and depends on how focused you are. If you want to take the time and capture everything, find specifically colored pets, and catch only certain qualities, it could take you some time to reach max pet level (this is also taking into consideration if you only play for a few hours a week).

It's tough trying to level a character and a pet at the same time, since it's so easy to get distracted by all the new pets to capture. I found that I had to focus on either one or the other, but I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you could pull it off.

There's no ETA on when patch 5.1 will be out, so it's hard to say whether or not you'll be pet level cap by then. I would say just do your best and play in the way that makes you happiest. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Sesamee
Pet Score:7258
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Sesamee » October 23rd, 2012, 6:09 pm

My first team I did based on their abilities. The ones since have been a mix of pets I want for their abilities like Lil Rag and the Magical Crawdad and pets I just like like my beaver, mini water strider, and grasshopper.

PVE battles are so easy it doesn't really matter what pets you pick. PVP battles are such a random mix of skill/RNG/comp that it almost doesn't matter. Bottom line is just play how you like.