Will you stop camping Rare spawns for upgrades?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us
Will you stop camping Rare spawns for upgrades?

Post by Talmar » October 22nd, 2012, 4:19 pm

When 5.1 hits and there are the battle stones out there available will any of you stop camping the more rare spawns like the Minfernal and Scourged Whelpling for upgrades?

My example is that I have a Poor Minfernal. I'm still camping the spot hoping to get an upgrade. I feel bad that I'm denying people that may not even have a Minfernal at all but will keep camping for that upgrade.

Draugarögnir
Pet Score:1187
Realm:Blade's Edge-eu

Re: Will you stop camping Rare spawns for upgrades?

Post by Draugarögnir » October 22nd, 2012, 4:51 pm

I don't have time to camp! There's so much to do at the moment, like mending my garden.

Besides, sofar I feel kinda lucky concerning the rares I've catched sofar... Many of the pets I've caught sofar are Rare or Uncommon; only a few are Common or Poor. But I haven't been hunting that long, so I guess I just haven't reached the stage you're in now.

I do prefer to catch a rare though, rather than use a Stone on a Poor or Common. I think I wanna save my Stones to use them on non-catchable pets, to upgrade them to Rare, so I can imagine I would be 'camping' a certain catchable pet, to get a Rare.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » October 22nd, 2012, 7:38 pm

The short answer is I will probably not stop.

Since battle stones are being described as a rare drop from pet battles, I don't foresee being able to get enough to quickly upgrade all of the 100+ pets that are not available as rares (crafted pets, Argent Tournament pets, etc etc). Until I work through those, I'd be very reluctant to spend a stone on something that I could get a rare version of by parking an alt at a spawn location and checking every so often.

But, depending on how long we have to wait for 5.1, the point may be moot. As people get their rares, the camping on many of the popular pets will let up: I am already finding Flayer Younglings and Spawn of Onyxia up fairly regularly, whereas they were seemingly extinct a week ago. If that trend keeps up, then finding rares in the wild might not be nearly the hassle in 5.1 that it is now.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » October 22nd, 2012, 8:11 pm

I can't seem to stop camping for rares. Also, I'm not sure how prevalent the stones will be so I want to get as many rares as I can, and save the stones for special ones (like Minfernal probably).

Blessaidlee
Pet Score:2598
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Blessaidlee » October 22nd, 2012, 10:21 pm

I wont because thats the nature of the beast. You have a poor minfernal but want a higher level, Do you not? Camping is what is needed, everyone wants the best so those who work for it and are successful deserve it. Its also luck.
I doubt people will stop hunting for rares/better pets just because YOU yourself wish yo do the same.
Good luck with your pet collecting!

Blessaidlee
Pet Score:2598
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Blessaidlee » October 22nd, 2012, 10:34 pm

Advice so you yourself can get rares is to add a friend from a different server so you can cross realms. I had to do that to get a rare scourged whelpling

Croxy
MVP
Pet Score:2009
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Post by Croxy » October 22nd, 2012, 11:40 pm

I actually stopped worrying about catching rare versions of pets quite a while ago. I figured with so many people eager to get new pets, I'd let them have the chance to grab them and I could upgrade them later.

Then the news came out. n.n

Idoru
Pet Score:3298
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Idoru » October 23rd, 2012, 5:28 am

Blessaidlee wrote:I wont because thats the nature of the beast. You have a poor minfernal but want a higher level, Do you not? Camping is what is needed, everyone wants the best so those who work for it and are successful deserve it. Its also luck.
I doubt people will stop hunting for rares/better pets just because YOU yourself wish yo do the same.
Good luck with your pet collecting!
I don't really see camping as "working for it".
There have been a few occations where I have been doing the "kill everything" routine to spawn a particular pet, and then when it spawns some camper swoops in from above and grabs it. Sure, he was successful, but I was the one doing the work.

As for the topic, there are some pets that I will settle for whatever I can get and the upgrade. And some of the not quite so rare ones that I will keep looking for.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » October 23rd, 2012, 10:12 am

I have so many characters at 85 I have several posted at camp sites. My Mage is in Felwood as is my horde warrior in the WCP guild (both different servers). My DK is camped for Rare Tiny Twister, my hunter is in Icecrown my paladin is in Tanaris my other warrior does the dailies.

I'm thinking I'll continue to camp for the rares I want and if/when I get a stone I'll upgrade and move my camper to a different spot.

I don't envision getting a rare for every pet type but I'd like at least uncommon for all with as many rares as I can. I definitely would like a Rare Minfernal. I'd like to save a stone for when I get the JC or tailoring pets to ensure those are rare. Most of the pets I like though are already rare.

I guess we'll see how the stones roll. :)

Poofah
Pet Score:4206

Post by Poofah » October 23rd, 2012, 12:06 pm

There have been a few occations where I have been doing the "kill everything" routine to spawn a particular pet,
Is this actually true? I've seen it mentioned before and I know that regular mobs can be linked this way, but I haven't seen evidence for pets behaving like this. When mob spawns are linked this way, there is a minimum number that can exist, and when the number drops below this the game will spawn another instantly. This behavior is easy to verify with e.g. the skeletal smiths in Icecrown. But it's also easy to verify that e.g. tiny twister does not behave this way: they can all be dead.

Epicleptic
Top Rater
Pet Score:10816
BattleTag®:Epicleptic#2421
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Epicleptic » October 23rd, 2012, 12:27 pm

I don't camp rare spawns simply because it's not in my nature to do so. I am, however, very well aware of the camped pets and how damn hard they are to obtain. 1 or 2 I have of rare quality, others I have in poor - a few I don't have at all. I'm not complaining though.

I imagine I may use some of the Stone upgrades on them in 5.1, but that will be after using it on other more unique pets that are of Uncommon and lesser quality that are unobtainable through Pet Battles.

I spoke to a GM regarding the phasing/Cross-Realm issues and was informed that they're looking for a resolution for 5.1 but whether that will make it or not is questionable. One can hope! :)

Zenbuddhist
Pet Score:2092

Post by Zenbuddhist » October 23rd, 2012, 3:19 pm

No camping here. I'd rather reserve that time for actually doing more Pandaria questing. I've been spending far too much time on Battle Pets and neglecting my actual leveling.

Vonlaserface
Pet Score:1945
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Vonlaserface » October 23rd, 2012, 3:46 pm

I'd rather use my upgrades on uncommons that can't be found as rares otherwise (quest reward, etc) so I can start leveling them. There are quite a few of those I'd love to build teams around that are sitting unused at the bottom of my collection.

I've had pretty good luck so far and the few camp-able rares I'm still after will come in time :)

Dragonling
Top Rater
Pet Score:2160
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Dragonling » October 23rd, 2012, 4:28 pm

My philosophy on the matter: take some time to level the high quality pets you already have and give others a chance at the rare spawns. While I understand the completionist drive to have every single pet at the highest quality possible, I see little practical purpose (other than better stats for eventual leveling) in camping the rare sites in hopes for a blue quality version of a pet I already own. My poor-quality Minfernal is just fine by me. I'm just happy to have had one spawn. Perhaps one day I'll arrive during a sandstorm in Tanaris where one person hasn't gone through and battled every single Silithid Hatchling hoping for a few extra stat points.

Tadedra
Pet Score:7267
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Tadedra » October 23rd, 2012, 5:20 pm

Not enough hours in the day. I'm also still leveling. Also I've gotten to the stage where I'm not a must have as long as I know it's not going away. Finally, I'm a multi-tasker so doing only one thing that involves waiting around (unless I'm fishing)goes against my nature.

Kagalii
Top Rater
Pet Score:10513
BattleTag®:Mikadochan#1520
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Kagalii » October 23rd, 2012, 5:47 pm

Not going to camp anything (and haven't so far), but I will keep some alts camped out at the spots of pets I still need rares of and check in once in a while. Right now I just have one in Felwood, one in Dustwallow Marsh, two (on different realms) in Tanaris and my main is resting in Jade Forest by dragonlings (for jade and crimson rares) when I'm not actually doing anything on her. That's pretty much it now since I knocked out most other rares in the last few days.

Sesamee
Pet Score:7258
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Sesamee » October 23rd, 2012, 6:00 pm

I plan to use my battlestones on non wild pets that I have no other way to get a rare of. I probably won't stop trying for a rare of the uber rare wild pets because of this. If I don't find one though and they'd make good battle pets I'll use a stone on them. I've heard the Minfernal isn't that great though and I don't know yet about the Scourged Whelpling or Giraffe Calf.

Jestah
Top Rater
Pet Score:2501
Realm:Crushridge-us

Post by Jestah » October 24th, 2012, 6:31 pm

I really enjoy the challenge of getting the rare version of a pet and do enjoy the satisfaction of working hard for something rather than taking handouts. Like others have said I will mainly only use the stones to upgrade non wild pets.

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » October 24th, 2012, 6:55 pm

The problem with rare camping is that the rare might not be the stat allocation I want. So, for things I want to pvp with, I'd rather stone something with the right stats. That said, the only rare I'm really interested in fighting with is the Giraffe, and I got a speedy one. So, I'm happy. The scourged whelp is kinda interesting but I have Chilly, so I have a bit of overlap there. I don't have the silithid hatchling yet, and I do love that model, but I'm hoping it's no worse than the baby ape was.

But in the end, I think it will come down to, how many of these stones will I realistically see? I'm not fond of farming and there is SO much to do in Pandaria!

Meiska
Pet Score:4150
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Meiska » October 24th, 2012, 11:03 pm

Being one without a Minifernal so far I just don't understand camping rare versions of rare spawns. Sure the battle stones may be something rarely rewarded, because of this, use it on the rare spawn pet no? Seems the best of both worlds. That way you can farm up a rare pet (minifernal) which is hard to do, then upgrade it with a rare battle stone. Less time camping for rares and allowing others to get theirs as well. Unless you just want to be an ass about it.