How do traps really work? *confused*

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Aggressive
Realm:Shadowsong-eu
How do traps really work? *confused*

Post by Aggressive » October 19th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Tooltip must be either wrong or skill is just bugged.

It's not a 25% increase each time you fail. Anyone know how traps work? I've missed several times on my 5'th try (100% trap chance?).
Or is is based on lvl vs lvl (lower base chance to trap if pet is higher lvl than you?)

Also, it seems like the trap reset once a healing pet get "outside" the trap range (35%+ hp), or is it just bugged?

Also, if you attempt to trap pet 1, and it dies, it seems like it reset if you try to trap pet nr.2 in same fight. or?

Tiaril
Pet Score:3475
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Re: How do traps really work? *confused*

Post by Tiaril » October 19th, 2012, 8:01 pm

Hi Aggressive,

I'm having this problem, too, and I can't find an answer to it here, in any of the patch notes, or on wowhead.com, or in blue posts on the Blizzard forums. Have you heard anything about it on your end?

It's so frustrating to lose a match (and the rare pet with it) because your Strong Pet Trap fails for the 5th or 6th time in a row.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 19th, 2012, 11:05 pm

I responded to a similar question [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=704#p5379]here[/url].

There's also a brief discussion about the trap success rate increase on the official [url=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6863976839#7]Pet Battle Forums[/url].

TLDR: The success rate at which the trap increases is not a flat percentage. Instead, it's a percentage of your previous catch. This is why it can take more than 4 or 5 attempts to finally be successful.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Tiaril
Pet Score:3475
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Tiaril » October 20th, 2012, 1:21 am

Thank you!! I'm still learning the ins-n-outs of the forums here, so I appreciate your helpfulness. :)

Post by Guest » October 20th, 2012, 6:59 am

If u throw a trap and then use a spell on ur pet that is out in order to heal it or to get the target back to low enough to trap, u have to start counting ur trap tosses over again.

Jetstream
Pet Score:2508
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Jetstream » October 20th, 2012, 1:24 pm

AH, a TRUE 25% chance increase, rather than 25 percentage points like everyone's been assuming.

Cute.