Minfernal

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Noobcastle
Pet Score:2867
Realm:Hellscream-us
Minfernal

Post by Noobcastle » October 4th, 2013, 10:43 am

Is there a trick to getting this little guy? Or am I literally playing the luck/waiting game?

Crazypants
Top Rater
Pet Score:11526
Realm:Dalaran-us

Re: Minfernal

Post by Crazypants » October 4th, 2013, 11:00 am

Hes pretty rare. Try to get an invite to a non crz realm. Thats how I got mine and even then i still farmed for 8 or 9 hrs.

Noobcastle

Post by Noobcastle » October 4th, 2013, 11:09 am

Pigswill wrote:Hes pretty rare. Try to get an invite to a non crz realm. Thats how I got mine and even then i still farmed for 8 or 9 hrs.
Dang, Once I have him and I think 2 more rare ones I am like a few insignificant pets away from my Zookeeper title! This guy has been my brick wall!

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » October 4th, 2013, 11:43 am

Noobcastle wrote:Dang, Once I have him and I think 2 more rare ones I am like a few insignificant pets away from my Zookeeper title! This guy has been my brick wall!
I had more trouble catching him than any other pet (even the Unborn Val'kyr was quick in comparison), so I evetually got mine by being invited by a friend on another server. You could try creating a death knight on a Brazil server, they seem to have a lot less people in general - took only a couple hours just hanging out there for one to spawn (an H/H at that). A DK takes you about an hour or so to get free from the starter area and then you can easily get over to the Minfernal spot and nothing will get in your way (mob wise). I need to do this and get myself an H/H, as the base health version isn't as useful (but I am not complaining, just glad to have him).

Tigerrose
Pet Score:3830
Realm:Perenolde-us

Post by Tigerrose » October 4th, 2013, 12:26 pm

I second the idea of creating a DK on a Brazil server. I got mine this way within 30 minutes of camping after completing the starting area. I have heard other people use a trick that you could engage a minfernal while flying over on one of the flight paths because the mount flew low enough to the ground to be able to /target then interact with the target putting you in battle. Naturally only beneficial for times when you fly over something and see TONS of what you want, but can't have, because once you land your are put on CRZ. I don't know, however, if this technique has been hotfixed or otherwise addressed by Blizzard.

Noobcastle

Post by Noobcastle » October 4th, 2013, 12:43 pm

I had more trouble catching him than any other pet (even the Unborn Val'kyr was quick in comparison), so I evetually got mine by being invited by a friend on another server. You could try creating a death knight on a Brazil server, they seem to have a lot less people in general - took only a couple hours just hanging out there for one to spawn (an H/H at that). A DK takes you about an hour or so to get free from the starter area and then you can easily get over to the Minfernal spot and nothing will get in your way (mob wise). I need to do this and get myself an H/H, as the base health version isn't as useful (but I am not complaining, just glad to have him).
That is a really good idea! I didn't even think about that one! Thanks!

Guiltyroads
Pet Score:1556
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Guiltyroads » October 4th, 2013, 12:46 pm

i have yet to get this pet either =( I have quit collecting other pets until i can get a hold of this one since i need it for the achivement of zookeeper....i assume I will get him one day lol...but some days it sucks being on a popular server.

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » October 4th, 2013, 1:15 pm

I got mine by leaving my character there before a server update on Tuesday and logged in as soon as possible. Only got an uncommon so I had to stone it, but it was the fastest way for me since I HATE camping.

Noobcastle

Post by Noobcastle » October 4th, 2013, 1:21 pm

Worgenbait wrote:I got mine by leaving my character there before a server update on Tuesday and logged in as soon as possible. Only got an uncommon so I had to stone it, but it was the fastest way for me since I HATE camping.
TRUST ME, if I didn't have to be at work everyday at 7am, I would! Lol!

This pet is making me sad.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » October 5th, 2013, 6:10 am

The Minfernal is not rare at all.

You just have too much competition, and other people are finding them before you.

Case in point: I made DKs on a few dead servers, went to the Minfernal zone, saw eight Minfernals right off the bat, just lumbering around waiting for me to check them for quality. In the next few days I saw between six and ten Minfernals every time I logged in. I saw several Rares; just not the particular breed I was looking for (if I only wanted a rare and didn't care about breeds, my hunt would have ended in one day). I continued to find rares for about five or six days, then finally found the one I was looking for.

The only days I logged in and didn't see any Minfernals, there was someone else camping them harder than I was (look up and you'll see them floating around in the trees—and don't be surprised if someone kills you to get rid of the competition, lol).

Again I repeat: Minfernals are not rare. They may spawn slowly; but they spawn regularly throughout the day. Blame the seemingly "rare" nature of them on CRZ and high-pop servers.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » October 5th, 2013, 6:51 am

Jamesdevlin wrote:The Minfernal is not rare at all.
I think the definition of "rare" disagrees with you. :) You are correct that you can make a new toon on another server (like many, including myself, have also suggested) but for people who want to get one on their own server they qualify as rare. It's all about supply and demand, and on high population servers the demand is high and the supply is low (in proportion). It's unfortunate that creating a character on another server (or knowing someone who can pull you over to one) is really the only way to get one of these guys without sitting for hours in one place doing nothing useful. Off to make that DK, I need my H/H version to complete my team - have a stone waiting for him and everything...

Abashera

Post by Abashera » October 5th, 2013, 7:08 am

I agree Rendigar.

But anyone who would rather hunt for months, and complain that they can't find ONE... rather than spend the two hours it takes to level a DK out of the starter zone, is thinking counterproductively.

(I have friends who have been camping for a year and still don't have one. Or got a poor quality one after months of camping and used a stone to upgrade it, no matter the breed. A few of them have listened to my suggestion (which others have suggested) and made a DK; while others still complain: "Too many people are camping the Minfernal!!!")

And yet, as you stated it is "rare" in the sense that you will be extremely lucky to find just one on a medium to high pop server. But they are not rare by design. I just wanted the OP to know the difference between the two—and to know just how many there really are on some servers.

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » October 5th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Jamesdevlin wrote:And yet, as you stated it is "rare" in the sense that you will be extremely lucky to find just one on a medium to high pop server. But they are not rare by design. I just wanted the OP to know the difference between the two—and to know just how many there really are on some servers.
You cant say that its not rare because the reason its rare is people camping it. Its harder to get your hands on that by far the most pets you get from battling, if that doesnt make it rare, i dont know what does.
And you are saying its not rare by design, but thats exactly what it is, it got a slow spawn timer so they are not always up, forcing it to become rare, the fact that you can easily pick it up on an empty server is a "flaw in the design", and not it working as intended.

Abashera

Post by Abashera » October 6th, 2013, 2:17 am

Oooo look Domie, I just logged into one of the no-CRZ servers and saw two Minfernals right before my very eyes!!! I could grab one right now if I want one.

Yes, "by design" they are not rare at all—they spawn all day long—swear to God I do. They are only SCARSE because of the Supply & Demand of High-Pop/CRZ. This is the difference between "rare" and "supply and demand." It would be like saying that because the newest Volkswagen Bug is so hot that you can't find one for sale, somehow makes them "rare"; especially if they are only out of sale in your town, and you're too lazy to drive over one town and get one fresh off the lot, which you could literally own in a couple hours, if you really wanted one. That is not rarity; it's being too counterproductive to travel to get one; yet still wanting to whine about not being able to find one. :roll:

And I'll tell you what is rare. A P/P Rabit Nut Varmint 5000, because it mainly comes as a secondary, and there are eight possible breeds. I can get another Minfernal RIGHT NOW if I want. And I can find a Rare Minfernal today if I want to or needed another. That, my friend, is not rare. But you just try to find a rare P/P Rabid Nut Varmint 5000 today, then tell me why I own two Minfernals, and zero of the other, and have been farming the 5000 for a few months.

Probably the most "rare by design" wild pet I can think of is the Scorpling. You can kill, kill, kill critters in the entire zone, and maybe, just maybe ONE Scorpling will spawn. And if it does, just go ahead and use a stone one it. When only one of something spawns in an entire zone, that is "rare by design." When I can go on a no-CRZ server at 3AM and see between 1 and 10 of something milling about, that is not rare by design.

So anyway. If the OP really wants a Minfernal, he can have one this very day. Telling him "They're rare is all, good luck! And just keep camping for eternity" is not a helpful comment. In fact if not anything else, you might as well be trolling.

Domie
Top Rater

Post by Domie » October 6th, 2013, 2:29 am

Where did i indicate that you couldnt log on a server and find them if you wanted too, and knew where?

And you cant say its not rare, its just supply demand, cause thats what make everything rare. If i make some shitty ashtray, its not rare cause no one wants it. But if they had only made 1000 suzuki, they would be rare, cause clearly a lot more people wanted them. So even if there is way more of one product, it becomes a lot harder to come by, by the people that wants them, there by a lot more rare. (Asuming it wouldnt change price, which i understand it would, but i think my point stands.)

But we clearly have diffrent views on what is rare, i just think if you cant easily get it on your server, its rare.

I find seeing a deer rare, even tho ive been to places where i could see them every morning.

Abashera

Post by Abashera » October 6th, 2013, 2:59 am

I'm sorry if I'm a "get things done" kind of guy. I was camping for the Minfernal for a few months, and all I saw was an average of six other players floating idly in wait whenever I would log in. With little coaxing I could spark up the conversation more than The Barrens chat.

I read some very sage advice though where someone simply said "Make a DK on a low-pop server."

Now apparently I'm weird and eccentric, and rarer than a rare Minfernal, because I actually listened to someone with a very smart idea. By comparison, camping in competition with six players waiting to drop down on the next Minfernal, and who knows how many who were logging in periodically, was counterproductive... in comparison to knowing I could have one within a couple hours. But hey, I'm just weird and unintelligent for listening to a good idea and getting things done. And apparently I'm even stupider for paying it forward.

My original comment was intended to be HELPFUL and actually USEFUL to the OP. I'm also weird because I believe the saying "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life." Telling someone "good luck with that" doesn't provide them with the fish, so it's actually a very useless comment. I passed on that sage advice that someone else passed on to me—someone who taught me how to fish for some pets that I couldn't get on my main servers.

I'm sorry for being so eccentric, and for teaching a man to feed himself.
Last edited by Guest on October 6th, 2013, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Domie
Top Rater

Post by Domie » October 6th, 2013, 3:02 am

Im not sure why you are being so dramatic about this :P

Its fine that you tell him how to do it, but saying its not rare and its super easy for anyone to get as the first thing, makes it seem like you think people that havnt figured it out is stupid.
Also how could you spend a whole month trying to get a pet that isnt rare to get at all, and in fact is super common from what i understand? ;)

Abashera

Post by Abashera » October 6th, 2013, 3:12 am

Domie wrote:Also how could you spend a whole month trying to get a pet that isnt rare to get at all, and in fact is super common from what i understand? ;)
But not rare by design; eaten by supply and demand. Something that is in a constant state of production is not rare just because someone else keeps bumping you out of line and getting one before you can. If I go to the hotdog stand and people keep bumping me out of line, that doesn't make the hotdogs rare. They are in constant supply, but the demand is high. Hence the saying: "Supply and demand."

I'm not understanding why you're so adamant in persisting upon calling it "rare by design", or at least trying to blur the difference between the two, when they in fact spawn all day and night—I'm only stating the facts: They spawn all day and night by design. For the OP, knowing the difference could be useful information. Telling him "they're just plain rare, good luck with that" is not useful at all.

Call me weird again, but I thought the correct response to someone asking for advice was to advise him; not just say "good luck in your search." Maybe I'm mistaken.

Domie
Top Rater

Post by Domie » October 6th, 2013, 4:50 am

Jamesdevlin wrote:
Domie wrote:"they're just plain rare, good luck with that" is not useful at all.
Neither is saying its super common?

And constant production doesnt mean it cant be rare, just means it becomes less rare over time, there is some cars that are being hand made almost all of it, there is a huge wait and not many of them, but they keep being made, that doesnt mean they are common.

I still dont see how making it spawn less doesnt make it rarer than pets that spawn more frequently, it sure doesnt make it more common than them.

I really dont understand why you think you only have 2 options, saying its rare and explain nothing, or saying its common and explain everything :P

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » October 6th, 2013, 6:35 am

I guess the point is that it's not rare in the Val'kyr sense, but it has a limited number of spawns in relation to the number of people who are farming for a rare one. The fact that it is "rare" only seems to make even more people want a rare quality one, just for the hell of it. If (like me) you're on a low pop server, you can fight as many as you want any time of day. They are however fairly spread out and seem to share spawn locations with other pets, so it's going to get pretty boring.

In the end, getting one is going to take more time than getting a Kun'Lai Runt or whatever, but only because there are far too many other people on your server who want one. There are dozens of pets that have a similar number of spawns, but they're easier to get as no one cares about them beyond capturing one for achievement credit.