PSA on rare spawn timers on the Timeless Isle

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Pinrut
Pet Score:13856
Realm:Nagrand-us
PSA on rare spawn timers on the Timeless Isle

Post by Pinrut » September 23rd, 2013, 7:58 pm

I see a lot of misinformation and guesswork floating around the forums (and all other forums) - if I can set but one person straight, that would be wonderful.

Spawn timers for nearly ALL of the rares on the Timeless Isle (I suspect including the sprite crystal) are 30-60 minutes from the last death.

Not 45-60 minutes
Not 40-70 minutes
Not 30-120 minutes

Generally, if a spawn takes more than an hour, you missed one in there somewhere.

This goes for Huo, Garnia, Jadefire Spirit, Gu'chi, nearly anything else you can think of (one notable exception is Golganarr, others include Imperial Python, Emerald Gander etc.).
I have notepads full of times of deaths for multiple rares - I've never seen one under 30 mins or over 60 mins (reliably).

Just because you caught Huo 3 times in a row one day and the spawns were about 40 mins apart - that doesn't make his spawn timer 40 minutes ><

Undeadgoat
Pet Score:2089
BattleTag®:undeadgoat#1254
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Re: PSA on rare spawn timers on the Timeless Isle

Post by Undeadgoat » September 23rd, 2013, 8:47 pm

However, the animal rares are based on how often the other animals of the same type are getting killed, which is why you see Emerald Gander up so often. So don't just sit there if you're camping Bufo, kill ALL THE FROGS.

Pinrut

Post by Pinrut » September 23rd, 2013, 8:52 pm

Does that include Bufo? I know it covers the Imperial Python, Emerald Gander and the bull - not sure if it counts Bufo, and it definitely doesn't count Gu'chi. AFAIK Bufo is on a timer (total conjecture there).

Editing to say: I liken Bufo to the Jadefire Spirit. The mobs in the cave are on a timer, and aren't linked to the spawn - but the rare has multiple spawn points. It's not the same as the gander/python that have a chance to spawn INSTEAD of the elite version of the mob (i.e. crane, death adder).

Balazaar
Pet Score:4252
BattleTag®:Balazaar#1749
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Balazaar » September 24th, 2013, 10:37 am

Bufo is on the 30-60 min rare respawn timer. It has nothing to do with killing the frogs.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » September 24th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Having camped Bufo consistently for over a week, I can tell you it has nothing to do with killing the other frogs. The python can spawn in place of any of the death adders, but Bufo has his own spawn points - though there are several. He is on a spawn timer separate from the other frogs.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » September 24th, 2013, 5:00 pm

The crane, turtle and python all can have two rares up at the same time. The first week with the cooking quest when people were killing massive amounts of turtles, it was pretty easy to get 2 at the same time.

I originally thought Bufo was in that group too, but I´ve killed too many frogs while others were also killing them and never saw him spawn twice at the same time, or even close together.

What I don´t get is if they are 30-60 minutes based on when they were last killed, then why do we frequently get 3-5 of them spawning at the exact same time? In chat, you can literally see how close they spawn together because everyone is silent for 5 minutes, then you get a bunch of people all calling them out within a few seconds of each other different rares.

Pinrut

Post by Pinrut » September 24th, 2013, 7:38 pm

I think that a lot of people sit killing frogs for 5-10 minutes and then Bufo pops, making them think it was linked somehow.

Regarding why they seem to pop all at once - I guess when you have 20(ish) rares popping, at least once, over the course of an hour, you wind up with one every 3 minutes. If they're popping (on average) every 45 minutes, you're getting a lot.

Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Slab » September 25th, 2013, 8:01 am

I think the mass frog slaughter was more to do with their propensity for dropping Epoch stones more than people trying to make Bufo spawn. We were getting about a 40-45% drop rate, to fill the weekly, but since then have accepted the lower drop rate to also grind the much slower Shaohao rep.

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » September 25th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Based on spending lots of time camping rares on the island (got 7/11 pets), there are two categories of rare spawns:

Timed ones, all on a 30-60 minute timer:
Bufo, Gu'chi, skunky brew event, Spirit of Jadefire, Leafmender, Garnia.

The best way to get these is to note down the time when they last died, show up half an hour later and then camp until they appear. If you time it right, they'll always appear within half an hour of you showing up.

Spawned ones, all having a chance to spawn instead of a random animal of their type:
Monstrous Crawler, Imperial Python.

You (or someone else) has to kill crabs or snakes to get these two to spawn. The chance of them appearing is pretty bad, so expect this to take a while. Note that there are crabs in more than one place on the island.